Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2011, 10:48   #1

Boat: Island Packet 35 Cutter Rig
Storing Boat for Hurricane Season Florida

Is it safe to put my boat on the hard in Florida for hurricane season, I'm thinking of somewhere like Indiantown or there abouts, any suggestions or advice?
Thank you all in advance,
Velma
Velma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 14:07   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Storing boat for hurricane season Florida?

Hurricanes are a lot smaller than people seem to think. You'd have to be pretty unlucky for a hurricane to hit where you choose to store her on the hard. Thirty miles either side of a hurricane is usually out of the biggest danger zone. Conversely, lots of people think it will inevitably hit the precise location you end up at so have insurance and pick the place you like the best - there are hundreds from which to choose.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 14:24   #3

Boat: Boatless

Indiantown is probably the best place.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 14:26   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sail into cold water. hurrycames dont go there.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 14:53   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Storing boat for hurricane season Florida?

Hurry cane tactics.... dig a hole deep enuf to take your keel till hull is ground level.. lower boat into hole... pad with 45 gall oil drums and old carpet... to be double safe remove mast.....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 15:45   #6

Boat: CS 36t

There are relatively safe places to store a boat and ones that will loose a significant portion of the boats if hit directly by a hurricane. Whether the hurricane hits you is just chance but whether that hurricane will do damage is something that you have a lot more control over.

Being on the hard doesn't guarentee the boat's safety but by choosing a good marina and properly preparing the boat, your chances will be pretty good. You will want to pick a yard that stores boats many feet (10+) above the normal water level. Also, you want a yard with cement or something like that that is firm to be on and that ties down all of the boats tightly to secure anchor points. Lastly, you need to prep the boat so that it is low windage and nothing is exposed that could be damaged. A lot of information has been written on this subject and this is only a brief summary. My point in including it is that not only is the harbor important, the specific marina you choose is really important.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 16:10   #7

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Here's a history of where hurricanes have been over the last several years.
Where you chose to leave your boat within hurricane country during hurrican season is a crap shoot at best.

We have all been lulled into a false sense of security ny the last 3 or 4 years of inactivity in the mainland. NOAA is predicting a robust year for the upcoming season.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pastprofile.shtml#ori
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 18:04   #8

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

You don't say what boat you have. Look at River Forrest Marina in LaBelle. They have a building designed to handle sustained winds of 125 MPH if you can get it inside or they have tie downs on a concrete storage lot. Well inland also. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 18:10   #9

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

I stay up the indian river in a marina called Telemar bay.. It has weathered many storms, Call me old fashion but I believe staying in the water is the way to go but that's probably because I have been lucky

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 19:07   #10

We bought a Island Packet 35 Cutter and she is a beauty. I want her to stay that way until we get to sail her for at least a couple of years 10+ at least. I'm naturally a worrier so needless to say the word hurricane scares the crap out of me. The worst kind of weather I've experienced is snow storms and a couple of tornadoes chasing us down the trans Canada highway....

I want to make sure I've done all the right things when we put her up for hurricane season.

Would covering the boat with a tarp be a smart thing to do or would it just trap condensation in Florida?

Thanks again for all of your advise, it is appreciated!!!!!
Old 20-05-2011, 19:23   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
sail into cold water. hurrycames dont go there.....
You've never been between Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.. lol. There has been a few who have hit there on their trek up the east coast. Hurricane Juan in 2003, Kyle in 2008 were the latest, although a number that were downgraded to TS can frequent the area. Yeah, and it's cold water.

Not arguing, just saying hurricanes do go to non-traditional areas.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 19:29   #12
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

Winterlude survived a direct hit from Hurricane Charley in 2004 in Burnt Store Marina in Punta Gorda ... but I think Indiantown would have been safer! After 4 years of getting the boat ready to go, we were leaving the US to go cruising in October 2004 and Charley hit in August. Aaarrrgggg!!! We were lucky and were able to leave for the Western Caribbean only a week or two behind our plan.

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 19:46   #13

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velma View Post

Would covering the boat with a tarp be a smart thing to do or would it just trap condensation in Florida?

Thanks again for all of your advise, it is appreciated!!!!!
A tarp is about the worst thing you can do. Think 150 mph winds and storm surge. For normal Florida storage, ventilation is critical but doing so in a hurricane by having any canvas, cover or tarp will quickly end up being a sail. The only way to ensure complete safety is to sell.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 19:56   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
A tarp is about the worst thing you can do. Think 150 mph winds and storm surge. For normal Florida storage, ventilation is critical but doing so in a hurricane by having any canvas, cover or tarp will quickly end up being a sail. The only way to ensure complete safety is to sell.
Thats not what I wanted to hear....I just bought....haven't even sailed her yet....let me sail her before I sell her....lol
Old 21-05-2011, 05:41   #15
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37
Re: Storing Boat for Hurricane Season Florida

We've been commuter cruisers for over 10 years now. The only year we had the boat out of the water & on the hard was Shelter Bay Marina/Colon Panama. That also was the only year we covered the boat with a full cover (no hurricanes in Panama). I have NEVER had mold when we returned to the boat, with the exception of the year we used the full cover. Not inside because we run a dehumidifier. But the outside, under that cover was BLACK with mold. Ick!

On the subject of the dehumidifier - if you decide to use one, be sure to get one that doesn't shut off and not come back on when the power blips. Most home use models won't automatically come back on after a power outage. It's not as big a deal in Florida, but it's a huge deal if you ever decide to cruise outside the US and leave the boat in any marina anywhere else.

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, hurricane