Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2019, 14:48   #31

Boat: center console
Re: Stolen Dock Line

Well, there's an old saying: "Most Sailors Outfit their Boats to go Cruising, (insert your version here) Go Cruising to Outfit their Boats"
1affiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 15:00   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

When I had some dock line stolen, I got some liquid electrical tape and put the first letter of the name of my boat "Q" and I wrote out Q in Morse code with the liquid electrical tape on the dock line. I never had any dock line stolen again.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 08:15   #33

Boat: Dartsailer 27; 27' Dutch Motorsailer

Have you asked if the Marina has video surveillance? Might catch them in the act!

Bill Wilson
MVNightWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 08:19   #34

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

Come on, they are just dock lines. The culprit may have just needed a length of line to tie off the stolen dinghy he just put in the bed of his truck to carry off to the Saturday morning flea market sale!!
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 08:38   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by montenido View Post
I'm sorry to hear about the dock lines. I left my new Costco water hose coiled inside my dock step in La Paz while we took our boat out for about a week. When I came back, the hose was gone. I asked around, and apparently a cruiser pulled into my slip to get (steal) water from the dock, then left with my hose. Good hoses are pricey in MX for some reason.

Now, almost 2 years later, there is a boat on my dock with MY hose! No way to prove it other than It has the exact same hardware and clamps on it, and it is 70' instead of the standard 100' (I shortened it). It pisses me off every time I walk past it.

Cheers, Bill
if you're sure, you could make it leaky
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 09:04   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post
Once I had a 45 lb anchor stolen, and substituted with a 35 lb anchor (the new anchor didn't reach the chain).

When I investigated, it was on the Island Packet next to my boat.

He probably thought I didn't notice, and I never got the anchor back. I thought about confronting him, but I had to leave the boat for extended periods, and the anchor was a cheaper price to pay than any other type of retribution.

Still bugs me when I think of it, but it was part of the price of having to leave a boat unattended, and I did learn a lesson about doing that.
Stand up for yourself and the rest of us. Confront the arse hat and get your anchor back ! Letting him get away with it just perpetuates this crap for all of us. I personally could not stand to see my anchor I paid good money for on someone elses boat every time I visited mine. If he wants to escalate things then take it all the way. Do not let evil win EVER !
atlroofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 09:07   #37

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post
Once I had a 45 lb anchor stolen, and substituted with a 35 lb anchor (the new anchor didn't reach the chain).

When I investigated, it was on the Island Packet next to my boat.

He probably thought I didn't notice, and I never got the anchor back. I thought about confronting him, but I had to leave the boat for extended periods, and the anchor was a cheaper price to pay than any other type of retribution.

Still bugs me when I think of it, but it was part of the price of having to leave a boat unattended, and I did learn a lesson about doing that.

That is really really ridiculous. If I was sure, I'd have called the cops and sworn out a report - that by itself scares the crap out of otherwise law abiding people that have something to lose.

Honestly though, stuff comes and goes, good luck & bad, and you have to chalk it up to a good story you'll probably re-tell a dozen times over the years. Stolen docklines... now what kind of idiot steals a man's docklines...
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 09:24   #38

Place fixed chain through the eye of the cleat and then your mooring line feed through its eye to attach to the chain and then the running end of the mooring line to tie to your vessel. The chain eliminates chafe from the dock, cleat, running bar attachment point of the dock and keeps it from being released from the secure point. The chain can be linked with a permanent chain link or a lock.

Of course someone can always cut the line at its eye loop and remove from your vessel if they are so inclined and / or in dire need of a dock line.

Doubling up of mooring lines works if the thief is motivated towards only stealing a single dock line and not two dock lines. But if you double up all your lines then a thief could steal one of each doubled up set of lines, [fore and aft and spring lines] and obtain a complete set for their vessel but still leave your vessel properly moored.

I recall thieves stealing a inexpensive set of alloy wheels and tires from a BMW. The owner filed an insurance claim and got a brand new set of wheels and tires as replacement, a week later the thieves returned, took the new wheels and tires and returned the old set, along with a note. Apparently a common practice as to obtaining brand new set.

Reference image at the bottom of this link.
https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Dock-Lines
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 09:52   #39

Boat: Bayfield 29

I was out for the day, meanwhile, someone used my slip to go bar hopping since it was very close to all the bars and restaurants. Upon my return that evening, the wind was up, which meant I had less time to secure the boat without problems with the wind blowing me into another vessel. Normally this is not an issue, grab the spring line which I leave secured to the dock and hit the midship cleat. Once in the slip I realized most of my lines were gone, untied, stolen. It takes all kinds
RossD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 10:55   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossD View Post
I was out for the day, meanwhile, someone used my slip to go bar hopping since it was very close to all the bars and restaurants. Upon my return that evening, the wind was up, which meant I had less time to secure the boat without problems with the wind blowing me into another vessel. Normally this is not an issue, grab the spring line which I leave secured to the dock and hit the midship cleat. Once in the slip I realized most of my lines were gone, untied, stolen. It takes all kinds
Once I returned to my marina after an overnight trip and found another boat occupying my space, a brand new, never used, expensive, large wakeboard boat, [probably $80,000 to $100,000]. I tied up to the fuel service dock and went looking around to see if I could find the owner, checking in the local restaurants, bars, grocery stores, hardware store, etc. for a couple of hours. I returned to the marina and the marina operator noticed that I was tied up to his service dock and asked why. I explained the situation to him and since there were no other empty, non-rented slips available, I couldn't go elsewhere in the marina. The marina operator got very angry that someone just decided to make use of an empty slip in his marina on a busy holiday weekend, so he towed the trespassing boat out of the marina and set it a drift. And he told me to return my sailboat back to my 30 ft. slip in the deepwater entry part of the marina. The marina being on the south shore of the 28 mile alpine lake, larger than Tahoe, and with a southerly breeze, it just slowly went northbound out to who knows where. I asked the marina operator what might happen when the owner of the boat returned and asked where their boat was, he said if he had an encounter with them or with the Tribal police or Sheriff who might get engaged with a "lost" boat, that he would simply reply: "What boat?" Never did hear what happened to the boat or the owner's wrath. Payback for misbehavior taken to the extreme. The weather was mild so its not like the boat was going to get smashed up on a rock shore, but I was kind of worried it might get pulled down the river that exits the south end of the lake and make its way toward a dam which spectacular topping overflow drops 230 feet and into a gorge.

Last year I purchased at least a couple of hundred dollars worth of dock lines to replace other absentee owner's boats broken lines or to fit lines on their boats that did not have appropriate lines installed so as to make their boats safely secured when storms would send large waves into the marina. It seems I always end up using up all my spare and old lines aiding others. On occasion I get them back, if the absent boat owners figure out who provided the lines and installed them. Once I got two lines back with a case of beer set in my cockpit as a anonymous thank you for my efforts and giving of lines. Three years ago, I even was filmed by a live television reporter while I was struggling to installing lines on an adjoining boat that had broken free and was being bashed about and threatening to hit my boat in the adjoining slip, [there was no finger pier between my boat and their boat]. Trying to attach a line to a piling and to their aft quarter while the boat was rapidly rising up and down three feet was kind of hazardous, their swim platform became bent and broken so standing on its tilted surface and reaching far out to the metal piling was a challenge but made for good action video and I got soaked in the process. I became worried that I might fall off the swim platform and get between the hull and the piling; no joy in that. I need to learn from my wife's ranching cousins how to toss a lariat as that would have eased attempting to attach the line to the pile. This Montanan is so not the cowboy, but an avid sailor.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 11:16   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
That is really really ridiculous. If I was sure, I'd have called the cops and sworn out a report - that by itself scares the crap out of otherwise law abiding people that have something to lose.

Honestly though, stuff comes and goes, good luck & bad, and you have to chalk it up to a good story you'll probably re-tell a dozen times over the years. Stolen docklines... now what kind of idiot steals a man's docklines...
The way you said it I thought you were sure, I would not do anything except add a camera to my boat if I was not sure.

But that "stuff comes and goes, good luck bad luck" statement is for when you loose somthing accidentally not when it is the result of evil-doer's. And to want to re-tell a dozen times a story about when my neighbor stole my anchor and I did not do anything about it is beyond me. Stick up for yourself man, whats the matter you from France or somthing ?
atlroofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 11:32   #42

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlroofman View Post
The way you said it I thought you were sure, I would not do anything except add a camera to my boat if I was not sure.

But that "stuff comes and goes, good luck bad luck" statement is for when you loose somthing accidentally not when it is the result of evil-doer's. And to want to re-tell a dozen times a story about when my neighbor stole my anchor and I did not do anything about it is beyond me. Stick up for yourself man, whats the matter you from France or somthing ?

Well... maybe that stolen anchor I never did anything about busted the shackle some night, and the evil doer's boat wound up on a jetty. Could have been a stroke of real good luck. The universe is fluid man.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 15:24   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Thumbs up Re: Stolen Dock Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailAwy View Post
What a fantastic dock master!

I have learned in my short time in the boating community that the majority of people (much like on the forum) want nothing more than to lend a hand or provide some sound advice, so I try not to get too bent on these isolated incidences. I would’ve been seeing red though had I discovered someone actually tried to take my boat. Glad it worked out!
Agree! Also, buy that man a beer or more.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 15:42   #44

Stolen Dock Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post

While I was certain, I was less sure I’d be able to convince the authorities based on the photos that I had. The bigger problem was that I couldn’t be at the location very often, and didn’t have time to move the boat.

By the time I got to the location with time, the offending boat was gone, and I soon moved the boat. In principle, I was pissed, but in reality, it wasn’t practical to pursue it.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2019, 22:43   #45

Boat: Viking, 9.4m,

re: stolen docklines. Be thankful for small merciesl! The previous owners of my boat had a theft of inflatable, outboard, and compass. It seems the thieves had previously stolen whole yacht, repainted,it, etc, then went around to various boats taking things off yachts to equip their new "possession" They were caught, so the yacht was returned , and my inflatable (pretty old), but not the outboard or compass from my boat.
And my next door moored neighbour had some group hold a party on his yacht (in the marina) - using his grog! (and left a calling card in the heads).

Tags
dock