Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-10-2015, 06:17   #31

Re: Stolen dingy st Augustine

Frank;
Regrets about your dink. Get a STOLEN BOAT notice filed with FL- FWC/ DMV and post the serial numbers on Craig's list and list it as a stolen boat. Was it insured ? I know that Boats US will insure it for a higher value if you are a member of US Power Squadron.
But get the word out. My bet is that once the thieves understand 'the word is out' they'll abandon it somewhere.
Bill

Old 06-10-2015, 06:51   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I had a 8' caribe and new motor stolen about 10 years ago from a dead end canal behind my house. Filed all the reports VIN, etc. never hear anything. I still look for it at dinghy docks. Would be junk by now anyway. I'll let you know if I see it down this way.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:08   #33

Boat: Gemini 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansSolo View Post
We just had our dingy stolen from the city docks in st Augustine between 6:30pm and 9:30pm Sunday evening and ask any one in the area to keep a lookout if they could. It's an 9' AB aluminum inflateable with 2 darker grey wear patches located on the port side. Fl registration # FL 4407 PW It had with it a nissan 9.8. A photo of it can be found on my wife's instagram via link
https://instagram.com/p/8cK4m6lkCD/
Thanks for any help
-frank
I am North in Belhaven NC, You just never know when karma can catch up, I will keep and eye open at the docks. Once caught a couple guys in the act with mine, grand larceny, charges filed!
Old 06-10-2015, 13:23   #34

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

Thanks for all of the supportive comments everyone they are much appreciated. I have to say though, I was a little shocked that it was our dingy that the thefts decided to take as it was not the nicest on the dock by any means nor was it the only one that wasn't locked at that time. The outboard is pushing 10 years and showing its age; well faded and scuffed. The dink itself on top of having a substantial leak in the floor, looked rough to say the least with all of the wear patches and stains. Ooh well, I guess thats life, its probably for the best as I am starting to believe that dingy was cursed to begin with. We had already had the hull completely removed and re-glued to the tubes once 7 months ago to fix a leaky floor (by an AB dealer, $800+ down the drain) and the problem was already back. This is a 3 year old dink but as we were the second owners the warranty didn't cover us On top of that we have had to be towed 3 times in the last month because the engine liked to take a break every once in awhile at inconvenient times. I just hope that whoever took it has as many problems with it as I have had. You live and you learn...
Old 06-10-2015, 14:21   #35

Sounds like you're better off with insurance money than your dink back.
Old 06-10-2015, 14:35   #36

Boat: Irwin 38 Mk II CC 38'
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansSolo View Post
Thanks for all of the supportive comments everyone they are much appreciated. I have to say though, I was a little shocked that it was our dingy that the thefts decided to take as it was not the nicest on the dock by any means nor was it the only one that wasn't locked at that time. The outboard is pushing 10 years and showing its age; well faded and scuffed. The dink itself on top of having a substantial leak in the floor, looked rough to say the least with all of the wear patches and stains. Ooh well, I guess thats life, its probably for the best as I am starting to believe that dingy was cursed to begin with. We had already had the hull completely removed and re-glued to the tubes once 7 months ago to fix a leaky floor (by an AB dealer, $800+ down the drain) and the problem was already back. This is a 3 year old dink but as we were the second owners the warranty didn't cover us On top of that we have had to be towed 3 times in the last month because the engine liked to take a break every once in awhile at inconvenient times. I just hope that whoever took it has as many problems with it as I have had. You live and you learn...
Please don't take this the wrong way .... but did you check the bottom? From your description the dink may very well be right where you left it... Just some few feet lower.
Old 06-10-2015, 16:05   #37
Marine Service Provider

He'd probably notice the line! I almost bought a nice like new AB a few weeks back. Totally shocked that warranty does not transfer? I believe it does on most other brands. I remember to say I paid cash in Saint Martin if I ever do buy a used one.

I was actually going to get a separate insurance policy as I don't have a yacht policy. Was around $300 a year for the dinghy, trailer and motor.
Old 06-10-2015, 16:18   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I'm sorry to hear about your stolen dinghy. I thought about this theft today when I saw how a dinghy had been painted at my current location.

I was reminded how some had said that it's wise to make your dinghy distinctive. I was impressed with this one!
Old 06-10-2015, 17:01   #39

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

BTW - it worth to mention that the police do not share databases. When the detective that found our boat was told about the reports I filed with a neighboring police district, the coast guard, and Fish and Wildlife he told me that none of those agencies databases interface and that he had not heard about the report.

The local city police don't even interface with the county they are in!

So I guess the lesson is to also file reports with all of the police in the surrounding counties and districts.
Old 06-10-2015, 18:24   #40

Boat: sunk by irma

Thread drift for your viewing pleasure.

https://vimeo.com/9022799
Old 06-10-2015, 18:45   #41

Boat: 48' steel cutter

This story goes back a few decades, but it still fits the thread. We were living on Hendricks Isle on a canal. Fort Lauderdale, off of Los Olas Blvd. The boat next to ours had a dinghy stolen off the dock, it was off their boat while they were varnishing. The inflatable had the name of the boat painted both sides. I was pedaling my bike to work down Federal Highway the very next morning, and saw the dingy, all pumped up and for sale, out in front of a major pawn shop! The next day!

I pedaled over to a motorcycle cop who was writing a ticket and asked him if he wanted to solve the easiest crime in his career. I waited until he went over. It was in the papers for a few days. The same thief was pawning several outboard motors A WEEK to this pawn shop! And they were not in hock, they were going straight to sale. IOW, the pawnshop was not legit, it was a fencing operation for thieves. Their mistake was putting an inflatable with the name of the yacht on it out front the very morning after the theft! The very same morning! Chutzpah!

Check out all of the pawnshops in your area, looking for outboards, and maybe the boat as well.
Old 06-10-2015, 18:50   #42

Boat: Ted Brewer, Bulldog 30' built in aluminum

Hey Frank and Yu,

You may remember Paul and Nancy on the cat "Rushin Blu" from the T pier at Oasis. I sent them your thread and they wrote back:

"Hey we have a spare AB aluminum dingy for sale real cheap!

Will be down there on the 23rd, soon after with the boat in St Auggy!

Hope all is well!
Paul"

So if you are still in the market send me a PM and I'll send you Paul's phone. They have been up in Newport, but they will return soon.

I passed this along to Sinclair and the guys at Sailors.
Good luck,
Kevin on Tin Star
Old 06-10-2015, 18:59   #43
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbenner View Post
I would raise hell with the marina!!! It's owned by the City of St. Augustine and they should move the dingy dock where their staff can keep a better eye on it. They should have a camera on it 24 hours a day as well, if they're letting thieves on site. You should write a complaint to the City Council and ask for better security, at least a camera.

St. Augustine is a small town, if they had a picture of the thief, they probably know him.
we're you just telling everyone on another thread the keys is a police state? Now you want cameras all over MY backyard! What happens if you smoke a joint in your dinghy some day? Oops, busted by the cameras!
Old 06-10-2015, 19:04   #44

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis McGee View Post
This story goes back a few decades, but it still fits the thread. We were living on Hendricks Isle on a canal. Fort Lauderdale, off of Los Olas Blvd. The boat next to ours had a dinghy stolen off the dock, it was off their boat while they were varnishing. The inflatable had the name of the boat painted both sides. I was pedaling my bike to work down Federal Highway the very next morning, and saw the dingy, all pumped up and for sale, out in front of a major pawn shop! The next day!

I pedaled over to a motorcycle cop who was writing a ticket and asked him if he wanted to solve the easiest crime in his career. I waited until he went over. It was in the papers for a few days. The same thief was pawning several outboard motors A WEEK to this pawn shop! And they were not in hock, they were going straight to sale. IOW, the pawnshop was not legit, it was a fencing operation for thieves. Their mistake was putting an inflatable with the name of the yacht on it out front the very morning after the theft! The very same morning! Chutzpah!

Check out all of the pawnshops in your area, looking for outboards, and maybe the boat as well.
That's a very good story - a pawn shop tried to claim ours to sell.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:50   #45

Boat: islandpacket

I never understood why you register the dinghy but not the motor. Seems that having to register the motor would solve some problems. At the least making it harder to sell.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: