Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2016, 06:06   #91

Re: I call BullS$!T on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exkma367 View Post
Deb and I were hilltop in Georgetown, Exuma looking down at our $300.00 ebay Columbia 26 we had sailed down from Baltimore, when a Gunboat Cat sailed past our boat. We took a couple neat pictures as their beam was about equal to our total length. We were sitting in the bar later that day talking about what it would be like to have all that room and luxury. The group next to us at the bar overheard and introduced themselves as the crew of the Gunboat. They told us that as they passed our boat they commented to each other how nice it would be to have the freedom of a small low cost boat.

Our anchors were in the same sand, butts on the same bar stools, and hearts in the same place.
I'm not sure here. I've done both. I was going to quit boats all together after spending a large part of my life not sleeping at anchor in my old smaller,less expensive boats.

The only way I could continue was to get the beam you're talking about not needing.

Small boats are terribly exhausting and uncomfortable to travel in and I'm not talking about amenities. The motion is completely different and worth paying for.
cruisersfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 07:36   #92

Boat: a sailing boat

Not sure they degrade but man they do shift!

Odd, as I can see great life is possible in any boat and definitely who dreams of a big boat with full amenities, should get one. And, to be sure, they do.

I am also 100% with you on the dreaming part. Too few people dare to dream big. Seems like they all sleep sound, without dreaming too much ;-(

Big boats are cream and from working aboard maxis I can judge they are an absolutely fabulous way to cruise. Maybe we do not hear to much from this part of the scene because we are in the wrong forum?

;-)

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 07:47   #93
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

so cal and no where to go is an excuse. so cal is north mexico. go south. many anchorages and much beauty and guess what-- when ye get into some of the outrageously secluded locales there are folks who know how to fix boats. omg. cheap--gorgeous hardwood, beautiful, engines--guess what--the guys were camaroneros in a real shrimp boat, as opposed to pangas... wow... milagro-- opens a new door for those of us financially challenged.
funny how even rich folks LOVE it here-- but ye have to get over your fear of the unknown and your programmed in fear of mexicans and your fear of being clobbered and fear of ugly boats and your fear of leaving your guns and politics at ¨ḧome¨, and donot forget your fear of tight places..... yada yada.
no, this life is not for everyone--even tho many grow up wanting to be pirates of the caribbean, there is only one role and that one is filled/. oops.

HOWEVER, if you always wanted to be a french baker delivering goods to boats and having a shop in pair a dice, there is a position available for that--barra´s french baker wants to retire and go inland, and has his business up for sale...we cry real tears on this one, he rocks and we are spoiled....

we get that for which we work hardest.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 08:01   #94

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Why do these theads always degrade into the simplest, smallest boat is the best for cruising. I call that B.S., but I don't believe this is what Rich had in mind when he started the thread.

Everyone is different with different needs and wants. Just like everyone's dreams and realities are different. If WE didn't have the boat we have now.... WE wouldn't be out cruising from place to place six months of the year, and certainly, we wouldn't have discovered the Mediterranean. We'd probably still be stuck in Southern California aboard our Hunter with no place to go.

Let people dream, nothin' wrong with that.
Exactly!

We got a larger boat, but older and pretty worn from over 10 years offshore. Put a lot of sweat, time, and money to get it to the seaworthy (in the eyes of this beholder) shape to go out again. And did it. It would have met the criteria of many boats "ready to go" in the ads. But it was a ticking time bomb for some of the systems. I have never regretted the time I put in on it before going cruising. It gave me a lot of peace of mind. But some people will just damn the torpedoes and go out on what they buy as is.

May Neptune protect them. We all know how that works. Not trying to be overly negative. I just don't buy in to the buy what you find and go out on it. Going offshore is pretty serious business. One extreme says to do that and the other says wait until you can afford the boat pre-equipped with all the goodies before buying and then go. It's totally okay to buy a project boat and do the minimum to get her ready. At least know what that minimum is. IMHE most bargain boats are in dire need of something or the owners really don't understand what the market is for seaworthy boats, understanding there are the few exceptions. The ones I have looked at sold in a week or two.

But it's all good whatever you want to do. It's your dream and your life. Live it now and be happy, whether on a boat or dreaming of a boat. Some people are comforted by their dreams, and their reasons/excuses for not going yet. Let'em be.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 08:07   #95

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
HOWEVER, if you always wanted to be a french baker delivering goods to boats and having a shop in pair a dice, there is a position available for that--barra´s french baker wants to retire and go inland, and has his business up for sale...we cry real tears on this one, he rocks and we are spoiled....
Darn it! The only reason we wanted to go cruising again was to to get fresh chocolate croissants delivered from the French baker in the lagoon there. May be we won't go after all.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 08:11   #96

exmaggie---emerick will train and be there to teach whoever buys th ebiz to do that which he has been doing forever. there should still be a french baker--just not so french in national origin.
if i had dough i would do it, but i donot have the purchase price to do this. would be a lot of work, but also a lot of fun. and there would still be the lovely tradition he had of giving roses to the selected friends on his route on valentines and mothers days.
so far, he has not found a new owner--so he will still be selling his awesomeness until he finds someone
Old 18-07-2016, 08:12   #97
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Ah but the real budget cruisers know to smile and waive at the French Baker and then go buy your Chocolate Croissants from the bakery across for from the Tree House Bar/Restaurant for 1/2 price and with double the amount of Chocolate!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 08:14   #98

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Why do these theads always degrade into the simplest, smallest boat is the best for cruising. I call that B.S., but I don't believe this is what Rich had in mind when he started the thread.

Everyone is different with different needs and wants. Just like everyone's dreams and realities are different. If WE didn't have the boat we have now.... WE wouldn't be out cruising from place to place six months of the year, and certainly, we wouldn't have discovered the Mediterranean. We'd probably still be stuck in Southern California aboard our Hunter with no place to go.

Let people dream, nothin' wrong with that.
Can't say people are necessarily saying you have to have the smallest simplest boat but rather what you can afford to make it realistic. I would assume that you might be a more affluent person than some others which allowed you to pursue the boat you have now and outfitted it to the level you have.
Chances are, if done right, your vessel and a 32 footer can be some what equally safe and provide you and the other choice with as much pleasure and adventure, equally
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 08:23   #99

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

For some it's the dream that gets them through the day. It helps keep them sane and happy, though they may never get there. Nothing wrong with that. I see no need to call BS on that. However, making excuses like it has to be a 300K boat or nothing, yes that is BS call-worthy.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 08:35   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
For some it's the dream that gets them through the day. It helps keep them sane and happy, though they may never get there. Nothing wrong with that. I see no need to call BS on that. However, making excuses like it has to be a 300K boat or nothing, yes that is BS call-worthy.
now to address the elephant in the room....it is ok to sail an ugly old boat. ha ha ha ha h a i am. i am OUT here, not sitting in san diego wishing and paying rent for nothing but a ball in the water. and varnishing my fool ass off.
it seems to me the best thing to do is go go go go go
just get the flock outta dodge and get time under your ass. err keel.
ye donot know what you want in your boat until you put miles on the damn thing anyway, so why do that before you sail her any distance.... is almost a waste of good dough not knowing if you have to change something back again after yer renovation.
oh yeah gotta shower in midocean. that aint gonna happen. same with puter. signals?connections>> only if you have your own source..not all of us are so wealthy , money wise. is a blessed peace out in ocean.
oh yeah gotta use microwave in midocean.. dock queen tool. so is air conditioning--unnecessary in ocean but direly needed in tropical pair a dices in marinas where air does not flow well.
woodwork--like varnish is gonna sink your boat if you wait til later to do it.. ha ha h aha it will all get fouled up in ocean by the water pounding. so why bother---is an excuse to remain with your familiar territory and friends you will see in mebbe 4 more years if they actually do that which they say they are planning.
oh yeah--we will join you in zihuatenejo-- yeah right., and gas will go down to 25 cents per gallon yet again.
the blessing of this lifestyle is that you get to meet so many different kinds of travellers. everywhere. small worldosis. even the same folks more than one time.
Old 18-07-2016, 08:45   #101

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
now to address the elephant in the room....it is ok to sail an ugly old boat. ha ha ha ha h a i am. i am OUT here, not sitting in san diego wishing and paying rent for nothing but a ball in the water. and varnishing my fool ass off.
it seems to me the best thing to do is go go go go go
just get the flock outta dodge and get time under your ass. err keel.
ye donot know what you want in your boat until you put miles on the damn thing anyway, so why do that before you sail her any distance.... is almost a waste of good dough not knowing if you have to change something back again after yer renovation.
oh yeah gotta shower in midocean. that aint gonna happen. same with puter. signals?connections>> only if you have your own source..not all of us are so wealthy , money wise. is a blessed peace out in ocean.
oh yeah gotta use microwave in midocean.. dock queen tool. so is air conditioning--unnecessary in ocean but direly needed in tropical pair a dices in marinas where air does not flow well.
woodwork--like varnish is gonna sink your boat if you wait til later to do it.. ha ha h aha it will all get fouled up in ocean by the water pounding. so why bother---is an excuse to remain with your familiar territory and friends you will see in mebbe 4 more years if they actually do that which they say they are planning.
oh yeah--we will join you in zihuatenejo-- yeah right., and gas will go down to 25 cents per gallon yet again.
the blessing of this lifestyle is that you get to meet so many different kinds of travellers. everywhere. small worldosis. even the same folks more than one time.
You are right in my estimation. My poor old boat looks a little ragged now that the 20 year old paint suddenly all decided to go south at once. But I am not going to waste precious summer days on cosmetics. Amazing how beautiful an ugly boat becomes once it leans over and comes to life under the arc of a white wing
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 08:49   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
You are right in my estimation. My poor old boat looks a little ragged now that the 20 year old paint suddenly all decided to go south at once. But I am not going to waste precious summer days on cosmetics. Amazing how beautiful an ugly boat becomes once it leans over and comes to life under the arc of a white wing
THERE ye go!!!! good spirit!!! now --GO GET EM!!!!
paint an d brightwork are anywhere kindsa things--between drinks, between passages between......and easily hired out in rural areas where the folks need extra household dough.......that way ye donot have to do it yerself.... funny how that works.
come on down!
funny how the ocean befouls the appearance of paint..takes it right off.
channel islands harbor--is just a minuet north of here--there is no excuse to no t get here for a drink or whatever here in not so rural mexico. i prefer rural mexico , but ye get what ye need.....
Old 18-07-2016, 09:11   #103

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Dana 24

We just took Renata our Cape Dory 31 down the Columbia River and up the Pacific coast to her new home at the front step of the San Juan Islands. Renata ain't pretty (yet) and needs lots more work but she can sail and wonderfully so! Point is don't wait, get out there!
Xthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 11:07   #104

Boat: Leopard L38

I got the bug in the late 2000's. Sold my business and bought a boat. It was the most humbling 2 years of my life. I soon realized I was not prepared financially nor did I have enough knowledge of systems and everything else that goes along with a life aboard a sailboat.

So I did a self check and tucked my tail between my legs. I stumbled across a floundering restaurant in St. Augustine, purchased it and worked my ass of for 5 years. Sold my Cheoy Lee, beautiful boat, but, not what I consider a comfortable cruising boat. The restaurant has now sold and my wife and I have an accepted offer on a new boat. We are really excited and looking forward to our future.

Many of you have said there are dreamers and doers, I concur. So many people at my marina are working on their boats and I know of 1 guy that left, made it to the Bahamas and was back state side in 3 weeks. He sold his boat after putting, what he told me 2320 man hours into it.

Society is going down the sh^%$$#r folks, if you want to go I suggest you go soon!
Phisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 12:37   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Except for about ten months of elderly parent Alzheimer's care back in 2004 and Christmas breaks with family, we've been steady cruising since our retirement in 2002.

Now we're in our seventh month of remaining in one place with refits for ourselves and the boat. We're getting dental work and cataract surgery while while I'm fitting new portlights, some deck core replacement, some paint, hydraulic steering refurbished, dinghy repair, hardware, LEDs etc... a long list.

I'm enjoying a few hours of boat work each day and seeing some great success. I know we'll be out again in a reasonable length of time. Keeping my 43 year old boat working well and looking good is a joy for me and my own work gives me more knowledge and an economic advantage.

When we are out cruising we enjoy the wilderness and a variety of cultures, but we're NOT escaping from any disappointment with our home areas.

Oh,- and varnish? 'never on my "Chlorox Bottle" design!

Tags
cal