Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2005, 07:09   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
stiff breeze?

Hey I hear you guy's down Florida way are getting a good onshore breeze. Anyone out making the most of it?
Nah sorry guy's, on the seriuose side, sounds like a real blow. Hope you are all well and safe, and that any and everyodies boats keep safe.
I wonder, it's obviouse that these storms are going to become the norm for our near future. So are building codes changing, to make sure buildings and structures are built to withstand more frequent violent weather patterns?? And what are Marinas doing? They must surely be addressing saftey of vessels after the last few major storms?

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 11:28   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Hi alan
The buiding codes in the last few years are very strict here in Fl and most homes built recently have only receved minor damage, so thats the good news, the bad news if your home is older than 10 years you may have a real problm- some of the marinas are now offering to hual your boat anytime a Hurrcaine warning is issued during the season for a price, ($650 a season) but you must pay in advance and get inline. I am going to wait until the storm is 2- 3 days out & head the other direction, I can make 10 knots under power 38' Cat. I think this may be safer and avoid most of the wind. If you can get 100 miles away its not going to be too bad.
Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 11:52   #3
cruiser

Techniques for weathering these hurricanes?

While we're on the subject,

Does anyone have any special techniques for weathering hurricanes (in a harbor) to share with the board?

Obviously, there are 2 factors - storm surge and wind. Ideally, I think most people would move their boats if at all possible.

My personal plan: Don't be in FL/Carib during that season.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:38   #4

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
We use a two-part approach to preparing Perseverance for hurricanes. Unlike many people we saw in the Chesapeake before Isabel, we ALWAYS strip all our canvas and stow it below. In fact, the decks get stripped of anything and everything removable that could possibly either blow away, create windage, or be damaged. We also put out as many anchors as we have in opposite directions attached to a swivel. We leave as much scope as possible to accommodate the predicted storm surge. We do not stay at a dock - you run a much greater risk of being damaged by another boat. Lastly, I would recommend taking important ship's papers off the boat and securing them with a friend or family member, even if you stay aboard. Should the boat be damaged or take on water, you want your insurance and documentation/registration papers intact.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 14:23   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Harriet offers a good start on prudent hurricane preparation.

There's LOTS of good advice on the web, including:

“A Guide to Preparing Marinas and Boats for Hurricanes” ~ from BoatUS
http://www.boatus.com/hurricanes/brochure.asp

“Hurricane Preparation” ~ by Chief Warrant Officer Jim Krzenski, Commanding Officer USCG Station, Ft. Pierce, Florida
http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/61798tip3.htm

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 22:20   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Wakko thought for the day.....

Has anyone tried using helix anchors on a cruising yacht?
In theory it should be possible, once an anchor is on the bottom, to use several lengths of tube joined together to drive a helix anchor into the bottom.
From the information available quite a small helix anchor has massive holding as it can be set some 5ft into the bottom.
This would not be practicable for a short stay or during calm weather, but if a hurricane is approaching it could be the way to go?
The anchor could be removed by sliding the end of the joined tubes down the anchor rode and unscrewing it.
It is not easy to set a big, heavy conventional anchor.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 04:51   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Depends on the depth of the water and of course the bottom type. But that's what those anchors are designed for, they are a mooring worm.

Old 12-07-2005, 06:03   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Dennis the menace

I have a friend just outside of St Pertersburg, FL. And his was one of the only 4 boats to survive in his marina. He anchored her out for the storm. The surges were the highest on record.

Another ClipperMarine cheats death!!!!!!

.................................................. ......................_/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 15:34   #9

Boat: Grand Alaskan. 64'
Does anyone have info on the surge if any around the Palm Island, Thornton or Manasota Key areas? We have a homesite and dock (bare ground) on Stump Pass there but haven't seen it in a couple years. There are only a few homes on the north end of the island and I don't know any of them to ask. It's about 25 miles south of Sarasota. It was missed completely by last years weather. Maybe now I'll save money on land clearing if we ever decide to build there.

Greg
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 16:56   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
You might try contacting:
PALM ISLAND MARINA
The entrance to Palm Island Marina is at IntraCoastal Waterway (ICW) Marker #7, approximately 3 miles north of the Boca Grande bridge, and one mile south of Stump Pass. This should be close enough to your lot, to give a fair indication of current local conditions.
7080 Placida Road, Cape Haze, FL 33946
Toll Free - 1-800-226-3625
Local - (941) 697-4356
Fax - (941) 698-4107
Email: dockmaster@palmislandmarina.com

HTH,
Gord May

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 18:14   #11

Boat: Grand Alaskan. 64'
Thanks a lot Gord. I sent them an email. But still I went "Hmmmm, Stump Pass is at Mile Marker 17-A". Heck, I've had sundowners at the '17-A Tiki Bar'"

I'll let you all know what I find out.

Greg
Greg B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2005, 11:38   #12

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
Alan,
Dennis brought us 35-40 kt winds, about 6" of rain and about 2 feet of storm surge ... so very little damage done here, and none to our boat. After last years hurricanes it has become very, very difficult to get insurance here ... took us 3 months of diligent work to get insured. I can't help but wonder ... if we have another bad year of hurricane damage, what will it be like for someone seeking insurance next year!
Bob & Lynn
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2005, 20:04   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

That's what my thoughts were. So I was also wondering if Marina's have/should have pressure applied by either insurance companies or boat owners to build better "storm proof" facilities. It's not like the Marina doesn't make a killing out of charges. And it's not like it's hard or much more expensive to build a better facility. 40knts is nothing here in NZ, 60knts is common but is at the upper end of the common wind scale. I was talking to a mate the other day that experianced 80knts. He was running with the wind and he said the noise was something and the spray wipping off the water was unbelievable.
But anyway's, I know the odd storm like Floyd and such are going to make anything human made a joke, but those storms are still rare. It's the one's that are becoming more frequent that are not strong that surely a better build of facilities should be justified.

Old 14-07-2005, 00:16   #14
cruiser

I hate to say it... and everyone might get mad...

Maybe people in FL and areas where hurricanes frequent should haul during the hurricane season, like the northerners do in the winter?

I mean in all honesty... if I had just $150K to insure one boat as a mini insurance company, I wouldn't insure one in FL either. It's too great a risk to insure something in that area during hurricane season.

This isn't meant as any kind of ill will or attack, I'm just sitting here dumbfounded trying to understand the situation and thinking up ideas. I mean as sailors, we usually work with the weather, right? This weather is sending a powerful message to get out of the area during June to November.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2005, 00:27   #15

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
Alan,
They have just raised our rates here from $9 a foot to $10. Considering that some of the local marinas are getting $16 ... I count myself lucky. There is no doubt that improvements could be made to make this marina more hurricane "friendly" and they are being made, although the pace seem's way too slow. If the owners wanted to "rake it in" they would do what most other local marinas have done, sell it for dockominiums ... I know for a fact that they have been offered in excess of $40M for the place ... and turned it down ... like I said ... I count myself lucky. Just the other day, I recommended a nice little quiet marina up the river to a friend ... he got there only to find that they are now dockominiums, and no longer take transient vessels. We get all of the marine trade journals where I work, each and everyone of them has published an article on the priviatization of dock space ... unfortunately their recommendations for curing the problem are truly laughable ... or illegal !
Bob & Lynn
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote