Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2016, 14:51   #16
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 20,221
Images: 2
pirate Re: Steaming lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Have a look at virtually any cruise ship or any working Queensland shrimper... they are so festooned with lights that finding even the running lights is nigh unto impossible.

The above quoted rule is surely not followed by the pros... I'm not too worried about being brought up for non-conformance on my yacht!

Jim
Yup... nothing like an apartment complex ablaze on a black night bearing down on you as you try to figure the safe way to turn..
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 02:40   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Singapore
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 393
Posts: 2
Re: Steaming lights

Hello everybody,

I'm new in this forum.
I think my case is related, so I decided to post it here.

My current light setup is:
-Anchor light at the top of the mast,
-Masthead light 1/3 up the mast combined with a deck flood light (both broken),
-3 Navigation lights at deck level (stern,port,stbd) (stern light broken).

I am looking to replace the lights for LED, and at the same time try not to spend too much. After reading the COLREGs I came with this solution and I want to know if it's 100% legal, because I may have missed something.

-On top of the mast, a combination of anchor light and tricolor.
-On the bow, a combination of Port/Starboard lights.
-A fwd deck light on a spreader.

My boat is 39ft, slightly below 12 meters, so my understanding is that I can use the anchor light as masthead and stern light combined when under motor. I can also combine both port and starboard lights in one single fixture at the bow.

Is this setup 100% legal?
Is it advisable?

Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Martin
__________________

__________________
MartinSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 02:59   #18
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Steaming lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSG View Post
Hello everybody,

I'm new in this forum.
I think my case is related, so I decided to post it here.

My current light setup is:
-Anchor light at the top of the mast,
-Masthead light 1/3 up the mast combined with a deck flood light (both broken),
-3 Navigation lights at deck level (stern,port,stbd) (stern light broken).

I am looking to replace the lights for LED, and at the same time try not to spend too much. After reading the COLREGs I came with this solution and I want to know if it's 100% legal, because I may have missed something.

-On top of the mast, a combination of anchor light and tricolor.
-On the bow, a combination of Port/Starboard lights.
-A fwd deck light on a spreader.

My boat is 39ft, slightly below 12 meters, so my understanding is that I can use the anchor light as masthead and stern light combined when under motor. I can also combine both port and starboard lights in one single fixture at the bow.

Is this setup 100% legal?
Is it advisable?

Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Martin
Welcome to CF.

First thing first. Your in Singapore, so check what the law is there, rather than just going off reading the colregs.

Secondly, you were all good up until your conclusion you can use your anchor light with a stern light when underway. Thats not correct. From behind, when under motor its important not to see a light above. Its from this set up you can tell the boat is travelling away from you.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 03:50   #19
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Steaming lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Welcome to CF.

First thing first. Your in Singapore, so check what the law is there, rather than just going off reading the colregs.

Secondly, you were all good up until your conclusion you can use your anchor light with a stern light when underway. Thats not correct. From behind, when under motor its important not to see a light above. Its from this set up you can tell the boat is travelling away from you.
I take that back you CAN just use side lights and an all round light, if your under 12 meters and thus an anchor light

But again check out what the law is in Sinapore
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 04:37   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2014
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45
Posts: 173
Re: Steaming lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Wald View Post
I am pretty sure that your Beneteau 331 has a steaming light. Mine does.
It is half way up the front of the mast. It is actually a combo deck light/steaming light.
This is an important point that causes a lot of confusion - As stated here the masthead light often not at the top of the mast! And the masthead light is sometimes referred to as the steaming light.
__________________
SteveInMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 05:18   #21
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,592
Images: 240
Re: Steaming lights

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Colin.

Two sidelights (Red/Green), a stern light (White), and a masthead/steaming light (White).
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 13:25   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Singapore
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 393
Posts: 2
Re: Steaming lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I take that back you CAN just use side lights and an all round light, if your under 12 meters and thus an anchor light

But again check out what the law is in Sinapore
Thanks Rustic Charm, I will check the local regulations just in case.

Changing from 6 lights to 3 LED makes a big difference in power consumption.

However, safety first always. Would anybody here don't recommend this light setup? Any advices or thoughts?
__________________
MartinSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 13:33   #23
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Steaming lights

And keep in mind there is no power saving in changing the steaming light /masthead light to LED, as its running inly when the engune is on.

But changing it to an LED version, if its a good quality LED means neber needing to change a bulb again. I replaced all of mine and it made a hell of a lot of difference to power use over night. I even swapped all my house lights at home with LED and my 'light' bill at my next invoice was just a third of what it traditionally was.
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 14:13   #24
Registered User
 
Snowpetrel's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hobart
Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Posts: 3,071
Re: Steaming lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSG View Post
Hello everybody,

I'm new in this forum.
I think my case is related, so I decided to post it here.

My current light setup is:
-Anchor light at the top of the mast,
-Masthead light 1/3 up the mast combined with a deck flood light (both broken),
-3 Navigation lights at deck level (stern,port,stbd) (stern light broken).

I am looking to replace the lights for LED, and at the same time try not to spend too much. After reading the COLREGs I came with this solution and I want to know if it's 100% legal, because I may have missed something.

-On top of the mast, a combination of anchor light and tricolor.
-On the bow, a combination of Port/Starboard lights.
-A fwd deck light on a spreader.

My boat is 39ft, slightly below 12 meters, so my understanding is that I can use the anchor light as masthead and stern light combined when under motor. I can also combine both port and starboard lights in one single fixture at the bow.

Is this setup 100% legal?
Is it advisable?

Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Martin
Aren't you going to need a stern light when you are sailing?

If you want to save money ditch the tricolor and the masthead anchor light. Just run the deck level lights when sailing, add the steaming lt when motoring.

Put a good deck level anchor light someplace.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
My Ramblings
Snowpetrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Perkins 4108 Overheating/Steaming cal 39 guy Engines and Propulsion Systems 27 04-05-2013 14:34
LED Steaming Light janders Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 25 20-06-2012 04:11
Budgeting for Number of Days Steaming per Month ViribusUnitis Powered Boats 22 30-10-2010 14:24
Steaming Light Position Boracay Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 20 28-10-2009 11:54



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:13.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.