Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-11-2009, 17:18   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Any evidence of anything happening to cruisers in here?

Anything at all?
In the past, yes. For current info I would try a Google search. Here is some interesting history on piracy in that area.

Piracy in the Strait of Malacca - Wikipedia

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 17:26   #17
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Any evidence of anything happening to cruisers in here?

Anything at all?
In the straits of malacca, none that I know of for the last 20 years.
One guy was murdered last year (or the year before) anchored in a bay south end of Thailand by 3 Burmese slave fishermen trying to escape their fishing boat. He belligerently tried to defend his boat and died for it. His wife said if he had been calm she was sure neither would have been hurt.

We use a security grill door at anchor. A great investment! We can lock up but the air comes through

We are going up the Gulf of Aden next year and want to PM anyone else who is going it in the next 6 months

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 18:00   #18

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
In the past, yes. For current info I would try a Google search. Here is some interesting history on piracy in that area.

Piracy in the Strait of Malacca - Wikipedia
I regularly do google searches of the area and check all or most asian news services as well as the piracy reporting sites and noonsite and there are no cases of piracy against cruisers that come up.

Quote:
Posted by MarkJ
In the straits of malacca, none that I know of for the last 20 years.
Exactly, so it would seem the biggest threat for cruisers in the Malacca straights are fish traps, passing ships and plastic bags.
Old 05-11-2009, 18:04   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

We use a security grill door at anchor. A great investment! We can lock up but the air comes through

Easy for some, I have a hole like this to fill

May have to do some form of sectioned door or opening window with screen
Old 05-11-2009, 18:32   #20
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:

How about a No Entry sign?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 18:41   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Should a sloop rig be more or less detectable than a ketch (single tall mast vs two short masts)? What about (re: radar cross-section) synthetic standing rigging vs stainless?

Since the pirates are likely only using the radar systems found on their stolen fishing boats (or similar, ie not military), are there any relatively easy (and temporary) ways to mask your mast's signature?
Old 05-11-2009, 20:23   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Oh that's easy cat man....

Old 05-11-2009, 20:26   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
Should a sloop rig be more or less detectable than a ketch (single tall mast vs two short masts)? What about (re: radar cross-section) synthetic standing rigging vs stainless?

Since the pirates are likely only using the radar systems found on their stolen fishing boats (or similar, ie not military), are there any relatively easy (and temporary) ways to mask your mast's signature?
The military has radar jammers. No idea if there is a version that civilians could own. It could create other obvious problems as well.

It makes me wonder whats the most powerful laser that a civilian could obtain? I would imagine that a laser that puts out a few hundred watts could do some serious eye damage even outside of gun range. That might just scare the hell out of them if not anything else.

A 1000, 2000 or 3000 watt laser might even start a fire. Wouldn't it be fun to start multiple fires on their wood boats? Dousing fires with buckets of water would distract them for sure. Not to mention really fun things like lighting their pants on fire.

As far as I know, lasers are not banned the same way guns are banned in most countries.

One company on the internet selling lasers says: "When selecting a laser, it is important to get a laser that has enough power and is otherwise suitable for your application." I wonder if red or green lasers are more suitable for catching pirate boats on fire?

I have no idea about the physics or the reality, I just thought it was a fun thought.

Old 05-11-2009, 21:23   #24
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
It makes me wonder whats the most powerful laser that a civilian could obtain? I would imagine that a laser that puts out a few hundred watts could do some serious eye damage even outside of gun range. That might just scare the hell out of them if not anything else.

A 1000, 2000 or 3000 watt laser might even start a fire. Wouldn't it be fun to start multiple fires on their wood boats? Dousing fires with buckets of water would distract them for sure. Not to mention really fun things like lighting their pants on fire.

As far as I know, lasers are not banned the same way guns are banned in most countries.

One company on the internet selling lasers says: "When selecting a laser, it is important to get a laser that has enough power and is otherwise suitable for your application." I wonder if red or green lasers are more suitable for catching pirate boats on fire?

I have no idea about the physics or the reality, I just thought it was a fun thought.
You'd want an infrared one to start a fire. Laser efficiencies are so low that I doubt any reasonably sized boat could sport one. If you're comfortable carrying some pretty nasty and reactive chemicals on board, a chemical laser should fill the bill.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:19   #25

Might be on the right path here. Got me thinking about an electro-magnetic pulse gun. You could simply shut down their engine at a range of 200 meters. They'd be buzzing along towards you when all of a sudden they'd just stop. The looks on their face alone would be priceless.

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/disc...bomb-video.htm
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:31   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37
Convention on Prohibitions or Restrictions on the Use of Certain Conventional Weapons Which May Be Deemed to Be Excessively Injurious or to Have Indiscriminate Effects
Protocol IV, Vienna, 13 October 1995

Objectives

The aim of the Convention and its Protocols is to provide new rules for the protection of military personnel and, particularly, civilians and civilian objects from injury or attack under various conditions by means of fragments that cannot readily be detected in the human body by X-rays, landmines and booby traps, and incendiary weapons and blinding laser weapons.

Key Provisions

This Convention serves as an umbrella for protocols dealing with specific weapons. The Convention and its annexed Protocols apply in the situations common to the Geneva Conventions of 12 August 1949 for the Protection of War Victims, including any situation described in Additional Protocol I to these Conventions.
Protocol IV on Blinding Laser Weapons prohibits the use of laser weapons specifically designed, as their sole combat function or as one of their combat functions, to cause permanent blindness to unenhanced vision, that is to the naked eye or to the eye with corrective eyesight devices. The High Contracting Parties shall not transfer such weapons to any State or non-State entity.

So that would be a no!
Old 06-11-2009, 07:38   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
. . . We use a security grill door at anchor. A great investment! We can lock up but the air comes through . . .
Great idea! What are the construction materials? Wood, metal, stainless?
Did you reinforce the companionway sides to resist it being "kicked in"?

== = = = = = = = =
As far as EMP weapons go the best most effective is the "tactical nuke" - lob one of those over the pirate's boat and that would certainly terminate their interest in you along with a lot of other terminated stuff. . . .
Old 06-11-2009, 13:07   #28

Aluminium Security, Diamond Design, Prowler Proof, Brisbane – Marlin Security and Window Furnishings
Old 06-11-2009, 13:20   #29

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Back on thread I can only repeat what I've posted elsewhere.
1 There are advantages to BIG groups that are prepared to stay in convoy at slowest boat speed and stay as a tight group.
Eventually such tactics lead to counter tactics. Once detected the convoy becomes the target af a wolf pack.
2 Stay silent, radar lights and radio OFF. All reflective stuff OFF the mast and folded flat and horizontal. Change course after dusk and before sunrise to reduce the chance of interception at night. DO NOT tell anyone where you are going, what your destination is, what your tactics are. Even set off headed west and change course after dark and stay out of cargo routes, they too carry friends of Pirates, usually in the underpaid radio shack. It worked to some extent until 1943, then radar swung things to the Uboat, then radar got better and could spot a periscope, aircraft patrolled and defence got better. There were still losses. Make no mistake about that.
Old 06-11-2009, 13:26   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Convention on Prohibitions or Restrictions on the Use of Certain Conventional Weapons Which May Be Deemed to Be Excessively Injurious or to Have Indiscriminate Effects
Protocol IV, Vienna, 13 October 1995

Objectives

The aim of the Convention and its Protocols is to provide new rules for the protection of military personnel and, particularly, civilians and civilian objects from injury or attack under various conditions by means of fragments that cannot readily be detected in the human body by X-rays, landmines and booby traps, and incendiary weapons and blinding laser weapons.

Key Provisions

This Convention serves as an umbrella for protocols dealing with specific weapons. The Convention and its annexed Protocols apply in the situations common to the Geneva Conventions of 12 August 1949 for the Protection of War Victims, including any situation described in Additional Protocol I to these Conventions.
Protocol IV on Blinding Laser Weapons prohibits the use of laser weapons specifically designed, as their sole combat function or as one of their combat functions, to cause permanent blindness to unenhanced vision, that is to the naked eye or to the eye with corrective eyesight devices. The High Contracting Parties shall not transfer such weapons to any State or non-State entity.

So that would be a no!
So what this is effectively saying is that it is better to use guns because they are safer.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: