Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 07:54   #1

Boat: B24
State Registration to USCG Documentation…?

Without getting too deep into the possible advantages/disadvantages, does anyone have experience/advice about going through the paperwork of taking a state registered vessel to USCG documentation…

Previous documented boats of mine have always (seemed to) require professional services to move the paperwork – but these were already documented vessels and seemed a minor exercise since all I was doing was transferring ownership and/or changing the name.

The reason I ask is that the previous owner of my little boat lost interest in the process of title transfer halfway through and although the state has a mechanism (now accomplished; took several months…) for such instances (providing the proper bills, writs and affidavits…) to complete the legal transfer, I’m wondering if that will cloud any USCG documentation procedure…

Note: I’m sure we’re at the bottom of the net-tonnage allowed but I’ve seen another documented B24s, so I assume it is still okay size-wise – although I’ve never actually done the calculations…

Thanks
Old 07-07-2008, 08:28   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Larry, your best bet is to call the USCG Vessel Documentation Center and tell them exactly what you have. They are both friendly and professional and every comment I have heard has been along the lines of "they made it real quick and easy".

USCG/National Vessel Documentation Center
792 T J Jackson Drive
Falling Waters, WV 25419

USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, Home Page
NVDC Email Addresses:

<A href="mailto:nvdc.w.webmaster@uscg.mil" name=nvdc.w.webmaster@uscg.mil>Contact Webmaster
Send PDF Filing
Phone Numbers:

Toll Free: (800) 799-8362
Main: (304) 271-2400
Hours: 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m
(Eastern Standard Time)
Fax Numbers:

Main: (304) 271-2405
Credit Card: (304) 271-2415
STATUS QUESTIONS:
(304) 271-2410
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:15   #3

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
your best bet is to call the USCG Vessel Documentation Center and tell them exactly what you have.
Thanks, and thanks for the numbers... very much appreciate the advice...

Tags
documentation, registration