Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-07-2012, 10:38   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: "starter" sailboat

Oday 25 is a nice little boat too. The SJ24's are pretty well constructed, but a bit of an IOR hull. A well equipped and very clean Oday 25 with trailer was selling for $5500 up here. The trailers are generally worth $1500-2000... The fixed keel small sailboats are going real cheap...No one wants to pay $2500 a year moorage on a $5k boat! just an FYI.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:08   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

You had me on the Seafarer till you mentioned WHEEL. What DS would put a wheel on a 26' boat??

Diesels require an absolute minimum of maintenance and given that, will last virtually untouched for decades. Change the oil and filters once a year, adjust the valves occasionally, keep a biocide in the tank and you are good to go for a very very very long time especially in freshwater. Diesel inboard will work when it gets snotty which may not be the case for an outboard hanging off the stern. Something to be said for an alternator charging the battery(ies) on a regular basis. Bigget negative, when things go south, they can get very expensive to fix.

Having said the above, an outboard installation that is reasonably well designed is simplicity in it's essence. Battery charging can be done by a smallish and cheap solar panel. Use on a lake, even a BIG lake will usually be no problem for the outboard. Didn't have any docking issues with my outboard powered sailboat. In fact, sometimes easier if I steered with the engine. Can see that hanging over the stern to shift and throttle could get interesting.

Old 07-07-2012, 23:42   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Seafarer is more an east coast boat and Catalina more of a west coast boat. Both are much the same quality of build and it would be like picking which model of Chevy you want to buy. Looking at the drawings I like the Seafarer a bit more.

Again, if the diesel runs good I'd go for the diesel. Just learn how to maintain it properly. If you get tired of the wheel steering you can change it easily enough.

kind regards,
Old 06-06-2014, 16:16   #19

Boat: 2000 West Wight Potter 19'
Send a message via Skype™ to sunnypm

So, my wife and I just looked at a 1986, 25' McGregor. The price was tempting($2500, it had some dings), but I think it's just too big to start. Are there good starters smaller, say 19 ft? Don't mind a tiller to steer. We are in Surfside Beach, SC, and would trailer it to landings. Sleeping two would be fine for an overnight stay.
Old 06-06-2014, 16:44   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

there are many in the 21-22 ft range. But the 25 wont feel that big out on the water.

Old 06-06-2014, 17:19   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
there are many in the 21-22 ft range. But the 25 wont feel that big out on the water.

No, but it will feel quiet a bit bigger when overnighting in it.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:44   #22

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnypm View Post
So, my wife and I just looked at a 1986, 25' McGregor. The price was tempting($2500, it had some dings), but I think it's just too big to start. Are there good starters smaller, say 19 ft? Don't mind a tiller to steer. We are in Surfside Beach, SC, and would trailer it to landings. Sleeping two would be fine for an overnight stay.
What do you have for a tow vehicle? Affects the final range of boats.

Hard to go below 20' and have berths unless you are willing to sling a tarp over the boom and sleep in the cockpit.

CAL 20
WEST WIGHT POTTER 19
HOLDER 20
CATALINA 22 / CATALINA 22 CB
TANZER 22 / TANZER 22 CB
MONTGOMERY 23
FLICKA 20
COLUMBIA 22
J/22

All except the Montgomery had production runs of at least a couple hundred so all of these should be easy to find for sale, have good resale prospects and good community support for the make and model.
Old 07-06-2014, 15:38   #23

Thanks Adelie,

I have a 2007 Toyota Sienna, with tow package, 2" ball, and think 20-22' would be perfect to start. Looking at a Catalina 22 right now, but the Flicka 20 looks interesting. "Flicka", in Swedish, means "girl", and I am Swedish decent "Sundquist". Also, we've been to San Diego area twice in the last couple of years. Wow, loved it...Balboa Park, Coronada, the bays!
Old 07-06-2014, 18:33   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Quote:
Thanks Adelie,

I have a 2007 Toyota Sienna, with tow package, 2" ball, and think 20-22' would be perfect to start. Looking at a Catalina 22 right now, but the Flicka 20 looks interesting. "Flicka", in Swedish, means "girl", and I am Swedish decent "Sundquist". Also, we've been to San Diego area twice in the last couple of years. Wow, loved it...Balboa Park, Coronada, the bays!
If you can afford the Flicka go for it. Better all around but usually out of my price range for a small package. I've owned and lived aboard a Catalina 22 fin keeler and they are good little boats.
Old 07-06-2014, 21:00   #25

Boat: Cape Dory 33
Re: "Starter" Sailboat

At 5500 pounds and 3.5' draft the Flicka, although technically trailerable, is not a boat you would launch and retrieve for a daysail. Are you planning to trailer your boat or keep it in a slip?

The Flicka is a lot of boat and if I could lay my hands on one for a good price I would be on it like white on rice. It is not a fast boat by any means, but rock solid and forgiving, and a very comfortable interior for a boat that size. We had friends that lived aboard one for several years.

But if you're looking for something small, easy to sail, that you can weekend aboard, you can't beat a Catalina 22. I would go for the fin keel, although you would need to keep it in a slip. The swing keel is more trailerable, but even with those, launching and rigging can get old after a little bit.

As an aside, we have owned a Catalina 22 fin keel and now have a Catalina 25 fin keel. It has so much more room inside for weekending, but yet is still a very easy to handle and maneuverable boat.

https://share.delorme.com/SVAnteris
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:23   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
At 5500 pounds and 3.5' draft the Flicka, although technically trailerable, is not a boat you would launch and retrieve for a daysail. Are you planning to trailer your boat or keep it in a slip?

The Flicka is a lot of boat and if I could lay my hands on one for a good price I would be on it like white on rice. It is not a fast boat by any means, but rock solid and forgiving, and a very comfortable interior for a boat that size. We had friends that lived aboard one for several years.

But if you're looking for something small, easy to sail, that you can weekend aboard, you can't beat a Catalina 22. I would go for the fin keel, although you would need to keep it in a slip. The swing keel is more trailerable, but even with those, launching and rigging can get old after a little bit.

As an aside, we have owned a Catalina 22 fin keel and now have a Catalina 25 fin keel. It has so much more room inside for weekending, but yet is still a very easy to handle and maneuverable boat.
Yep, towing a FLicka will be entirely different than towing a cat 22, or other retractable keel, lightweight boat. The Flicka should be towed with a truck.

Old 09-06-2014, 17:19   #27

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22

Hi:

Probably not many got out of Ontario, but I quite like my Sandpiper 565. At 1200 pounds plus 400 pounds of trailer and a couple hundred pounds of gear, it is about the largest boat my Jeep Patriot rated at 2000 pounds towing capacity can handle.

Boulter
Old 10-06-2014, 06:41   #28

@Boulter. Now that Sandpiper 565 looks like what I had in mind to start. Being a newbie, I'm not sure how the keels work. Is the Sandpiper's cranked out after being launched, or mid launch? Also wondering about that on the Catalina 22 with the swing keel. I'll find out soon enough looking, just don't want to come across as a total idiot.

I see the Sandpiper was made in Canada, and you're right that I'm not finding any around here. I really would like a trailerable boat, until we find out if we get hooked enough to justify the cost of a slip. I would be crazy enough to trailer one from Canada, as I have been in Ontario, and have friends in Michigan.

Do you ever snowbird it down here? We're an easy golf cart ride to the beach, and only a couple of miles to a couple of boat ramps.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:23   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I owned a Compac 23 for many years. Before that It was Catalina, and sailed on many others (j-boats mostly) I felt the Compac to be the best microcruiser. Good sailer, shallow draft (2 ft 3 inches with the rudder partially up) and stove, sink and livability. I loved exploring lakes with it, and it was just a stout little boat. Sold mine for 8K.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:49   #30

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22

Quote:
@Boulter. Now that Sandpiper 565 looks like what I had in mind to start. Being a newbie, I'm not sure how the keels work.

I would be crazy enough to trailer one from Canada, as I have been in Ontario, and have friends in Michigan.

Do you ever snowbird it down here? We're an easy golf cart ride to the beach, and only a couple of miles to a couple of boat ramps.
You crank it down any time you like after the boat is floating and you have depth. Boat won't come off my trailer if it is not fully retracted (might allow a few inches down, but what would be the point?).

Well at any given time usually 3 or 4 are for sale in Ontario. Keep an eye of Free Kijiji Canada Classifieds | Free Ads | Petites Annonces Gratuites and set the geographical area to Ontario. Ask is usually < $4000 Canadian with trailer and motor.

Perhaps you might join the busiest sandpiper forum (which is still quite slow) at Sandpiper 565 - C&L Boatworks Forum and make it known you are looking.

Also check out the 2014 Sandpiper Rendezvous which is happening on the Michigan side of lake St. Clair at a date which escapes me now. The above site has details.

No, I have not been that far with it. I don't think I would want to trailer that distance. Sure it is withing my vehicle ratings, but it is hard an a vehicle - and driver. I shudder at night when I cannot see my load out the rear view mirror.

Regards,

Boulter

Tags
sailboat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: