Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2019, 16:45   #196

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter
Re: Standing Watch in High Crime Anchorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralslater View Post
I have been thinking about what to do if someone came on board . Having guns is a non starter for me as I beleive for most people they will cause more trouble than they will solve . That said I have been looking at a strobe flash light . They appear to be legal everywhere and dont look different from a normal flash light .
Never having experienced one I pulled my one and hopefully only Trump manoeuvre, I looked at it for split second . Wow my vision was off for 5 minutes ,so now I am researching which one to get .
For thus that were wondering “my” vison is back to normal.
A hint for missionaries,historically your reputation is not that great, perhaps minding your own business might be the best course of action

What to do?

Well the gun thing is silly, but I’d guess you haven’t been around guns much.

I’d say hopefully yelling /lights on before they get to the boat with VHF call try to shoot a flare into their boat etc, after that full aggression use whatever you have, target sensitive areas like eyes, nose, knees, crotch etc, if you are not mentally prepared to take it a step beyond what he’s willing to do, you’re a victim, figure on if you end up below decks with one of them good chance one of you is going to get deaded.
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2019, 01:00   #197

So hopefully this is a decent addition.
I stay in South Africa where both crime and guns are a big issue, problem is guns are more of a liability than an asset. I am a huge fan of both sport and self defense with guns but find myself unable to accept the ugly legalities of owning and carrying one.
My own solution is a paintball gun, i saw a youtube a while ago by an older sailing couple that came to the same conclusion.
It's cheap to buy and maintain, globally accepted as "non-lethal", yet in most kinds of threats would put you way ahead of knives baseball bats or anything similar.
You could NOT just fire a firearm at some swimmer who appears to be targeting a boat, but with a paintball gun i would literally paint him up without a second thought. He would have the second thoughts.
You get hard balls and pepper balls too and a capacity of 100+ rounds in the hopper.
I can't think of many circumstances where it isn't exactly what is needed when under threat and land or sea.
vigilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2019, 05:08   #198

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigilant View Post
So hopefully this is a decent addition.
I stay in South Africa where both crime and guns are a big issue, problem is guns are more of a liability than an asset. I am a huge fan of both sport and self defense with guns but find myself unable to accept the ugly legalities of owning and carrying one.
My own solution is a paintball gun, i saw a youtube a while ago by an older sailing couple that came to the same conclusion.
It's cheap to buy and maintain, globally accepted as "non-lethal", yet in most kinds of threats would put you way ahead of knives baseball bats or anything similar.
You could NOT just fire a firearm at some swimmer who appears to be targeting a boat, but with a paintball gun i would literally paint him up without a second thought. He would have the second thoughts.
You get hard balls and pepper balls too and a capacity of 100+ rounds in the hopper.
I can't think of many circumstances where it isn't exactly what is needed when under threat and land or sea.
What’s worse than legalities is death, as someone who saved his own butt once with his pistol I can say that with certainty, thankfully in my case the fight or flight got triggered in the criminals and they ran off, which was also more so in their best interest.

Depends on the laws and the politics

I know in some places you DONT want to use less lethal rounds as it shows you didn’t believe you life was in danger enough to use lethal force, there for if the “vibrant youth” who was “just turning his life around” end up drowning or something after the use of a paintball gun they’ll likely say you didn’t think he was a real threat thus why you used a game/toy gun to shoot at him, and from my understanding depending on the pigment of you and the attacker/I mean victim, it might be a bad day for you.

It would also be good to video anything like this, and upload a copy, that way when they say the attacker wasn’t trying to get in your boat and was only swimming to train for a charity event, you have the video proving otherwise, presuming you are alive to show it. You’re going to have to prove ability to harm you (both range wise as well as means wise) and intent.
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, grass