Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 05:24   #1

Boat: Prout 46
St. Augustine Marine Center Problems

I recently had a bad experience hauling out at St Augustine Marine Center. I've been hauling out there for the last 12 years. I won't again. I've talked to several people in the marine business in the area that have expressed concerns about the company. Does anybody know what's going on there?
Kashmir cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:47   #2
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch
Re: St. Augustine Marine Center Problems

So what happened?
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:48   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

They are major "rent seekers" They fired nearly all there staff a few years back (not myself or anyone I know closely)

Now they look to make there money off the backs of others by adding a 30% surcharge to any work done in the yard by independents.

Oasis is a much better owner run yard, but travel lift will only handle 21' beam.

I think St Augustine Marine is OK for large cat storage only, but make sure you agree on all prices, etc ahead of time.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:57   #4

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

I can personally tell you their Westerbeke "Pro" sucks.

They charge outrageous prices, for motor mounts for prior owner only to forget to tighten all 4 mounts. 1 hour from dock the motor came completly unaligned and I had to re tighten all 4 motor mounts. It hasnt loosened since, they just forgot to tighten them.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:39   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I had a good laugh when you were telling me about their "master tech"

I'm sure this thread will be shut down as this type of honest info is frowned upon here.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:45   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I was in St Augustine for a month and had a wonderful, and I mean truly wonderful, experience with First Mate Yacht Services and Comachee Cove Marina. I ddint get hauled out at Comachee cove but would if the work was supersived by First Mate.

Comachee Cove Marina gives 50% discount when you are being worked on by First Mate.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 16:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
So what happened?
Long story long. I had a haul out date at St Augustine Marine Center months in advance. I told them at that time I was single handing and would need help at the dock and then later at the Travelift. I called the day before the haulout and told them again. About an hour out, I lost an engine. I called and told them I would be coming in alone with one engine and would need help docking. They said fine, we will see you there. I called them again 15 minutes out and they said they were ready. I arrived at the dock and nobody was there. I docked the boat myself and 5 minutes later a couple of their guys showed up completely unaware of the situation. And pretty unconcerned about it.
The haul out was scheduled for an hour later. One of their guys came down
an hour later, told me that everything was a go, pushed me off, jumped on the boat and we headed to the Travelift. As I passed by the travellift upriver to turn around so I would be heading against the current ( it
was running pretty good) I noticed there wasn't anybody at the lift. I asked the guy on the boat where everybody was, and he said they would be there. I turned around and headed down river to the lift and still there was nobody there. I figured I had one chance to get into the lift( I was afraid of losing my remaining engine) so I went for it. The guy on the boat guided me in, and said I was fine, motioned me ahead right into a 2X8 on the side of the lift channel causing about $1500 in damage to my rub rail. Still there was nobody at the Travelift. I tied off the boat and 5 minutes later one guy showed up.
Anyway after an hour of talking amongst themselves in various huddles around the yard, someone finally decided that they didn't have the slightest responsibility in the matter. I thought at least they would split the repairs with me, but no. I told them to splash the boat and I left.
Currently, I'm hauled out at Oasis Marine. They have a 50 ton Travelift with a maximum of 21 foot beam. My cat is 20'10" wide and with the help of 7 guys we hauled the boat without a problem. A marina that cares. What a concept.
I
Old 10-02-2013, 17:01   #8

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

I just walked past your boat today...Nice looking Prout!

John at Oasis is a great guy to deal with.... very honest and knowledgeable, and I'm sure you will get first class work done. He just replaced our keel bolts for us on Friday and did a fantastic job. You may have seen our keel whizzing past you last week.

We are at St Augustine Marine Center and have been treated extremely well. We have had a few scheduling issues, but that was with a subcontractor and not their staff (or fault). So far, we are very happy we came here, but Oasis seems nice too.

Matt
Old 10-02-2013, 17:28   #9

Thanks. I never had any problems there before. I had been hauled there on many occasions over the years and had spent a lot of money there. I don't know what the problem was this time but a simple apology would have been nice.
Old 10-02-2013, 18:02   #10

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmir cat View Post
. I don't know what the problem was this time but a simple apology would have been nice.
An apology is always a good place to start.

Matt
Old 10-02-2013, 18:25   #11
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Thats a bummer, but I can see how a yard would not want to pay for any damages occuring from owner operating mishaps. If it was their guy and you were just watching from the dock it would be all on them. At my yard they prefer you to not be around, but if you are they get you to drive into the lift. Last year I showed up 10 minutes after a cable broke and a 40' boat got dropped. They told everyone the lift was down for routine service, but everyone knew the truth. Galvy cable is cheap, a foolish thing to overlook.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine