Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2019, 05:18   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Miami
Boat: Tartan 3700
Posts: 309
SSB?

I've got a ICOM M-710RT and an AT-130 tuner sitting in my storage locker and am debating whether to install it in my new (to me) sloop. I plan on getting Predict Wind's Iridium Go package. So I'm wondering if it is worth the expense (back stay insulators and ground a plane) and the effort in time of installing SSB these days.

Your thoughts?
__________________

Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 05:48   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34
Posts: 611
Re: SSB?

We have a ICOM IC-m710 and AT-140 that we use almost daily when aboard on ham and marine frequencies when in the Bahamas and at sea.

Waterway Radio and Cruising Club
Cruiseheimers
Navtex weather
Chris Parker weather
Nick's BASRA weather
CG voice weather
Weather fax
Winlink for position reports, email, and GRIB weather

Bill
AK4PO
irish-eyes-to-the-bahamas.blogspot.com
__________________

wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 08:00   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Miami
Boat: Tartan 3700
Posts: 309
Re: SSB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
We have a ICOM IC-m710 and AT-140 that we use almost daily when aboard on ham and marine frequencies when in the Bahamas and at sea.
Hi Bill;


Do you have Iridium Go or something like it or is your weather etc from only from SSB?


Ron
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 08:06   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34
Posts: 611
Re: SSB?

We get weather from VHF, SSB, and cellphone. We do not have satellite coms, never felt the need.

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 14:46   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
Posts: 1,142
Re: SSB?

My first trip down to the Eastern Caribbean I used the SSB all the time. Then I got a cheap Iridium phone on ebay (check it out if you decide to go this route) and rarely used the SSB. But I never wanted anything but weather while on passage so perhaps the cheap/free SSB email options would appeal to you more than they did to me.

I think if I did the Pacific I would need the SSB more. But in the Caribe not so much. In the Bahamas we got a local cell phone number and were happy with it. You dont always get reception everywhere but then again, neither does SSB
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 19:55   #6
Registered User
 
gamayun's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Oakland, CA
Boat: Freedom 38
Posts: 1,810
Re: SSB?

This is almost like the "radar vs AIS" posts -- different equipment for different purposes. Personally, if I had both, I'd keep them both and would not think of them as either/or.
gamayun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2019, 20:51   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Home for a couple of years.
Boat: Beneteau 49 & Amel 50 on order
Posts: 691
Re: SSB?

If you plan to do offshore cruising, you'll be happy you installed the SSB.
boom23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 05:14   #8
Registered User
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 10,056
Re: SSB?

We presently own an ICOM SSB radio which we haven't used in over 6 years. Don't bother installing yours, because there's nobody to talk to out there anymore.

Instead, we're installing a KVH V3IP broadband internet and phone which will enable us to make data phone calls anywhere in the world and get SAT weather updates, all for $49 per month.

Sell the SSB and update to KVH SAT communications.
Kenomac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 05:22   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: World cruising
Boat: Oyster 56
Posts: 48
Re: SSB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We presently own an ICOM SSB radio which we haven't used in over 6 years. Don't bother installing yours, because there's nobody to talk to out there anymore.



Instead, we're installing a KVH V3IP broadband internet and phone which will enable us to make data phone calls anywhere in the world and get SAT weather updates, all for $49 per month.



Sell the SSB and update to KVH SAT communications.

Hi

Do you have a link to where one can get KVH service for $49 a month?

Many thanks
Tom
MV Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 05:59   #10
Registered User
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 10,056
Re: SSB?

Here’s a screenshot showing the pricing for $49, the website is kvh.com. The KVH V3ip systems are being discounted because a new system recently came out displacing it. But the V3ip is perfectly capable of 50MB of data calls, virtually unlimited text and emails for the price of $49 per month.

Just set up a dedicated laptop or tablet which won’t fetch automatic updates, and don’t watch videos. The main interest for us in upgrading both Oysters, was to be able to have a dedicated phone number, then be able to make data calls and receive weather files anywhere in the world at anytime.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A418DF12-DA7B-4CFF-AE79-3B319232E12C.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	296.6 KB
ID:	186168  
Kenomac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 06:00   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Mexico
Boat: Passport 40
Posts: 254
Re: SSB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Instead, we're installing a KVH V3IP broadband internet and phone which will enable us to make data phone calls anywhere in the world and get SAT weather updates, all for $49 per month.

Sell the SSB and update to KVH SAT communications.
Hmmm aint that a 15k hardware cost?
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 06:11   #12
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The boat: Cowes (Winter), Above 60N (Summer); me: somewhere in the air!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 23,515
Re: SSB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Hereís a screenshot showing the pricing for $49, the website is kvh.com. The KVH V3ip systems are being discounted because a new system recently came out displacing it. But the V3ip is perfectly capable of 50MB of data calls, virtually unlimited text and emails for the price of $49 per month.

Just set up a dedicated laptop or tablet which wonít fetch automatic updates, and donít watch videos.

I don't know how I would stay within 50MB a month on a high speed connection.


I used more than a GB last summer on my extremely slow Iridium Go, in about 6 weeks off the grid.


Even very lean VOIP codecs need about a MB per minute of a voice call. I think even special satellite codecs need about 3kbs, and I think that needs to be hardware implemented -- like, inside an actual satellite phone -- to work.



Sounds like a great system, but the faster the connection, the more data most people will need. 50MB is gone in one gulp if you load the wrong page.
__________________
"Parce que je suis heureux en mer, et peut-Ítre pour sauver mon ame. . . "
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 06:19   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: World cruising
Boat: Oyster 56
Posts: 48
Re: SSB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I don't know how I would stay within 50MB a month on a high speed connection.

Sounds like a great system, but the faster the connection, the more data most people will need. 50MB is gone in one gulp if you load the wrong page.

I used to have a FleetBroadband 250 system on my Oyster which is capable of decent speeds but at great expense. I found that the critical thing was to have a router between the boat network and the satellite modem with a firewall programmed to block all traffic except the specific destinations needed for basic email and weather (in my case xgate and Predictwind). With that in place, I found that a few MB per month was plenty for all the ocean crossing we did without access to cellular or WiFi internet.
MV Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 06:23   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: World cruising
Boat: Oyster 56
Posts: 48
Re: SSB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Hereís a screenshot showing the pricing for $49, the website is kvh.com. The KVH V3ip systems are being discounted because a new system recently came out displacing it. But the V3ip is perfectly capable of 50MB of data calls, virtually unlimited text and emails for the price of $49 per month.

Just set up a dedicated laptop or tablet which wonít fetch automatic updates, and donít watch videos. The main interest for us in upgrading both Oysters, was to be able to have a dedicated phone number, then be able to make data calls and receive weather files anywhere in the world at anytime.


Thatís a very good price - more or less what I spend on my iridium go for 5mb a month. Of course, unless the hardware is already installed or can be found at a big discount, the total cost of ownership is still high.

One advantage of the iridium go is that it can be taken into a liferaft to provide emergency comms but the KVH is certainly faster. Couldnít you achieve the dedicated number objective (and weather/email) with either an iridium go or an iridium phone handset?
MV Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 06:29   #15
Registered User
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 10,056
Re: SSB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoreed View Post
Thatís a very good price - more or less what I spend on my iridium go for 5mb a month. Of course, unless the hardware is already installed or can be found at a big discount, the total cost of ownership is still high.

One advantage of the iridium go is that it can be taken into a liferaft to provide emergency comms but the KVH is certainly faster. Couldnít you achieve the dedicated number objective (and weather/email) with either an iridium go or an iridium phone handset?
We also have an Iridium Go, which I plan to sell or stick in the ditch bag. 50MB is enough for virtually unlimited text, and basic emails each month along with daily weather updates which is all we plan on using the system for. Otherwise, we'll be using the unlimited cellular data plans on our smartphones and iPads.
__________________

Kenomac is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ssb

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Marine SSB Stuff (how-to better use / proeprly-install SSB, & troubleshoot RFI, etc.) ka4wja Marine Electronics 87 07-02-2019 20:51
Weather Fax and SSB question CSY Man General Sailing Forum 10 20-11-2004 18:22
SSB e-mail Down-load rate?? CSY Man Liveaboard's Forum 8 18-11-2003 21:31
DIY HF/SSB Testing GordMay Marine Electronics 0 24-04-2003 19:03



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:11.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.