Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2016, 04:31   #1

Boat: Northshore 38
pirate SS Defiance 30 Australian built

Hi I was just wondering if any Defiance 30 owners would be interested in starting a group to exchange stories, ideas and pics of the boats.
Mine was built by Jack Savage in Melbourne who made the moulds but I know boats were also built in Tasmania and I think Brisbane.

Anyhow drop me a line if interested.

Beers & Cheers

Gregor
GoPopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 00:05   #2

Boat: Defiance 30
Re: SS Defiance 30 Australian built

Hi Gregor,

I'd be interested. I've got a 96 Defiance 30 that came over from Queensland. I haven't seen another in Perth or Western Australia for that matter. I race it occasionally but i'm looking to fit extra solar panels and a Bimini and do more cruising on it. A forum would be great for swapping race set up tips and modification tips.

Cheers,

Rhod
Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 06:07   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPopp View Post
Hi I was just wondering if any Defiance 30 owners would be interested in starting a group to exchange stories, ideas and pics of the boats.
Mine was built by Jack Savage in Melbourne who made the moulds but I know boats were also built in Tasmania and I think Brisbane.

Anyhow drop me a line if interested.

Beers & Cheers

Gregor
Not wishing to nit pick, but.... Jack Savage got hold of the specs/design/offsets for SS30 and went to the Swanson Bros in Gosford, NSW to get a mould made.
Swansons made a couple of timber prototypes for savage. One of them was used as the plug for the mould made by swansons. Obviously several moulds were made....boats produced were the swanson 30, ss30 by Swarbricks in Fremantle, and the defiance 30 by Savage. All the same hull design. Savage fiddled with the deck/coach house design, and produced some great designs. Right up to recent times.

In those days boatbuilders collaborated, and there was extensive cooperation between the three builders mentioned.

Nice boat, I have sailed on one briefly, a Swanson 30.

Lee

PS I think there is an owners group somewhere.
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 20:24   #4
X24

Boat: S&S 30 Savage Defiance

Hi, I'd be keen. I'm in the process of obtaining a D30 that lies in Paynesville, Spinola Bay, built 1997 and has spent her life so far cruising the Gippsland lakes. Heading down there tomorrow to take her out for a test sail. I'm also looking for a bit more info about these boats, plans, official specifications etc, as they seem to have "evolved" from the lines of an earlier S&S design. The one I'm looking at is a so-called wide-hulled version, so I don't see how it can be exactly the same lines...

I would definitely be interested in sharing ideas about fitting out, rigging etc, and of course any info about plans, specs, history, and an owners association if there is one.

Cheers,

Chris
X24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 22:16   #5

I am also keen. I just bought mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sailing 1.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	196139  
usdivers61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 05:25   #6
X24

Congratulations! She looks good - we’re looking into getting some cruising upgrades like Bimini and davits. Deck space is at a premium and our small inflatable can only be stored on deck deflated at present, or towed which I haven’t tried yet. PM me if you like, it would be good to get in touch with other owners.

Cheers - Chris
Old 26-07-2019, 01:48   #7

Well I am officially part of the D30 club now . Got handover, and she is now sitting in her new home. Let the refit begin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4737.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	196613   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4739.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	196614  

Name:	IMG_4740.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	196615  
usdivers61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 20:00   #8

Definitely, I have Topaz in LBC, Melbourne. Eclipse that you have mentioned is still there as well as Akarma & Spectra. Two savages ones & two non savage.
I have a Facebook group for defiance owners.
PJM204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 18:46   #9
X24

Whats the link for the FB group? I just did a quick search and couldn't find anything...
Old 10-07-2020, 16:57   #10

I have had a Defiance for 10 years, and perfect for sailing/camping with two young boys. Name is Gumeracha and based near Manly in Sydney. Happy to join the group.
dstirlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 18:58   #11
X24

Hey there, good to hear from you. Other than this thread no group has been formed officially yet. I joined this a while back while I was researching these boats prior to buying Spinola Bay. I had thought (hoped) there might already be an association set up but if there is I haven’t been able to find it. I’ve been interested in picking peoples brains to find out how they’ve got their yachts set up - mine is a 4-hour drive from home so I’ve been trying to restore, repair and renovate her in manageable chunks as well as get out sailing and spend time aboard. I’ve got experience with composites but a designer, engineer or architect I am not so this process is taking a while.

Please PM me if you’d be interested in getting in touch.
Old 22-09-2021, 07:36   #12

So can i set a few things straight here on the Defiance 30. The first hull was wood and built by Doug Brooker in Sydney. He then built a mould off that hull. He then built at least three fiberglass hulls. One with a laid teak blister deck the others with the fiberglass S&S "racing" deck. He then sold the moulds to J.J.Savage & Sons P/L ( Jack Savage) Savages then built a few racing deck versions but to attract more sales the Cruising deck was made. Savages built a mixture of both decked yachts from 1973 till 1979. The moulds then went to Sydney where Fred Short built some more with his sons Matt,Ian and Andrew. They were then onsold and the rest I have no record of other than they were rescued off a landfill in NSW. I hope this clears the early history up. This is all first hand Knowledge as I working at Savages during those years and sailed on one as well. Cheers Daff. See link to the wooden Defiance actually named Defiance. https://forum.southernwoodenboatsail...mrwF_DPAiHtnFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoship View Post
Not wishing to nit pick, but.... Jack Savage got hold of the specs/design/offsets for SS30 and went to the Swanson Bros in Gosford, NSW to get a mould made.
Swansons made a couple of timber prototypes for savage. One of them was used as the plug for the mould made by swansons. Obviously several moulds were made....boats produced were the swanson 30, ss30 by Swarbricks in Fremantle, and the defiance 30 by Savage. All the same hull design. Savage fiddled with the deck/coach house design, and produced some great designs. Right up to recent times.

In those days boatbuilders collaborated, and there was extensive cooperation between the three builders mentioned.

Nice boat, I have sailed on one briefly, a Swanson 30.

Lee

PS I think there is an owners group somewhere.
Daff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 07:40   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJM204 View Post
Definitely, I have Topaz in LBC, Melbourne. Eclipse that you have mentioned is still there as well as Akarma & Spectra. Two savages ones & two non savage.
I have a Facebook group for defiance owners.
I remember Eclipse it was first owned by Eric Wakefield then sold to Peter Hopper both kept at RYCV. As for the others the names as not known to me. Cheers Daff.
Old 22-09-2021, 07:45   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by usdivers61 View Post
Well I am officially part of the D30 club now . Got handover, and she is now sitting in her new home. Let the refit begin
Hi If this is the Savage built hull ( the only red gelcoated one to be made ) it was for a Tassie bloke and sold as a hull and deck with mast rigged and a Arona diesel which was not the usual motor we fitted. Ian Tilley is a name that may fit this baot as the first owner. Cheers Daff.
Old 23-09-2021, 03:58   #15
X24

@Daff: Thanks for your posts and the background. My yacht Spinola Bay was launched in Paynesville in 1997 after being fitted out by a local carpenter/builder who acquired the hull and deck from Savage, so at best the hull and deck were already 18 years old then.

I have reached out to Savages to try and get some background but unfortunately they seem less than interested in responding to my hails.

Tags
Australia