Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2016, 08:14   #1

Spring 2016 Annapolis Sailboat Show

Hi Everybody,
I've been mostly a lurker on here for the last 18 months or so. I've been trying to learn on here as well as through numerous other resources all that I can about sailing and cruising.

My sailing experience is pretty limited, about 5 times out on a sunfish. I hope to do more this summer as well as some on a bigger boat this year also. All of this being small lake sailing.

I'm considering living aboard at some time in the future, but it would require a large lifestyle change and move (I'm about 4 hours from the ocean currently).

So, for the last couple of months I've been considering going to the Annapolis spring sailboat show and maybe also a day or two of the Cruiser's University. I've never actually seen or been on any "full-size" sailboats.

So I guess my question is how useful does everybody think going to the sailboat show would be getting information regarding cruising ans sailboats? Maybe for type of sailboat or similar? Also specific thoughts on attending cruiser's university? Would I learn alot more than just watching youtube videos of cruising/sailing?

Luckily, if I don't mind driving a bit I can stay with my brother in DC and attend the show are reasonable cost.

I appreciate any opinions. Thanks,
fizbancor
fizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 03:31   #2

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38
Re: Spring 2016 Annapolis Sailboat Show

I normally don't go to the spring show, but this year I must if I want to get Vigah back in the water. I need some goodies. Anyone else going this year: I will be there Friday and Saturday. If any one is up to it we could hook up for lunch one day.
Old 20-04-2016, 03:40   #3
vjm

I would think it would be way more profitable going to a week or two of something like water sailing">Blue Water Sailing School.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 20:54   #4

Yeah,
I'd like to do something like that, but something more than 4 days probably isn't realistic while I'm still working. I probably should try to find a short charter/course to see how I like it.

Thanks.
fizban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 21:04   #5

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Since you say you haven't seen any cruising boats in the flesh yet, I say why not go take a look. Would be fun and certainly some value in getting a chance to check out the interiors, and get a sense of what it's like below.

And visit marinas to do some dock walking and talk to the locals.

And go sailing somehow!
Old 21-04-2016, 03:29   #6

Yea, I take breaks and deck walk. You see all kinds of boats and for good or bad, how they are being maintained.
Old 22-04-2016, 13:34   #7

What an almost complete waste of time. There are less than a 1/4 the vendors that show up for the fall show. I had to buy stuff, so it didn't take a big show to take a large bite out of my wallet. In the hinterland we just don't have a lot to choose from, so a visit to Annapolis is by itself interesting. All I can say is Fawcett Marine should like me.

Of course there were the cookie cutter boats there, but why waste time going over the same old same old? So I am out of here in the AM, a day early and maybe a sou more left in my pocket.

Tags
annapolis, boat show, sail, sailboat