Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2010, 05:15   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ero-34473.html

See also, Carol Hasse’s “Heavy Hitters for Light Air”
http://www.porttownsendsails.com/pdf..._air_sails.pdf

And the Practical Sailor report
http://www.oceansailing.ca/PDF/practical-sailor.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 05:30   #17

I use a 1A (light asymmetrical) on a code zero furler. It's very cool to use. The unit is very expensive. Unlike a sock it twists into a 60' long firehose-like thing in a flash. Shorthanded I cheat and run the sheets inside the forestay - gybe it thru the foretriangle like a genoa. The tack flies at rail height couple of feet ahead and to windward of the forestay. Looks nasty at the genoa furling drum but works just fine.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 19:14   #18

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
Good stuff people, keep it coming. Gord, I liked that Practical Sailor article. I own a very old boat though and although I love it, I'm not upgrading to roller-furling-anything.

I'm on the Chesapeake, and these light summer days are murder. I need something to keep the old girl moving. I did look into drifters and bloopers, but in the end, settled on an asymmetrical chute. Put a deposit on it on Friday.

Spent today with a buddy, installing the blocks and a messenger line for the halyard. Still need sheets and a sock would be nice.
Old 17-07-2010, 20:20   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
I use my gennaker a lot. We are more likely to fly it when the A watch is on deck, and to put it away when the B watch is in charge.

Don't ask.
Old 18-07-2010, 22:29   #20

Boat: Swan 56
I have a drifter of questionable age that came with the boat - i use it occasionally - 60-70ish apparent in light winds is where it's most effective. As Jim said earlier, the drifter is a bit of a relic - that sail angle is now covered by the code Zero (which doesn't have to be on a furler by the way) and in heavier winds, the Jib-Top covers this sail angle.

However, the drawback of all these 3 sails is the limited sail angle where they are effective.

My solution was a multipurpose Asymetric - covers a much greater sweep of the compass than any other sail and is relatively easy to handle. Sock vs no sock is personal preference - I happen to prefer no sock.

I don't think I'd buy a code zero for a cruising boat because of it's limited utility when compared to the space it takes up. Maybe if my boat was bigger I'd have different opinions.
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 23:32   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage
My boat didn't have any spinnaker gear when I bought her, just a couple of whisker poles for the jib. Neither of which are strong enough to handle a kite.

A bit of work with a calculator showed that it was much cheaper to use an asymmetric rather than a regular kite, especially when you add the cost of a couple of winches, carbon pole, mile or two of spectra etc.

I bought a bowsprit kit from Selden, the heaviest they make as I wanted as much projection as possible. The inboard end is quite long as it spans the anchor locker. Besides the sail, the other bit of hardware was a clutch to handle the tack line, a couple of blocks for the sheets. Also I changed the footblocks for ones with jammers so I can get away with only one pair of winches in the cockpit.

sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 05:17   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sestina View Post
A bit of work with a calculator showed that it was much cheaper to use an asymmetric rather than a regular kite...
That's beautiful! What a nice setup. And a nice new 'chute. Have you tried easing the tack line a bit? Up to about the rail?

I didn't know Selden made sprit kits. I'm looking for such a thing. Cheers!
Old 20-07-2010, 07:16   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage
I'll ease the tackline when I'm trying to sail deep, the assy rocks nicely to windward then. It helps if you're in flat water though.
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 08:00   #24

Boat: Morgan 45 Enchantress
Bubblehead,
We use an asymetrical (poleless) radial head spinnaker in the light air we get on the bay. You might check out Bacon's in Annapolis. They have a large variety of used drifters and asymetrical spinnakers and regular spinnakers for very reasonable prices. I got mine there cost me $900 sted $2000. Yours might be less. Would at least let you see how well it works for you for not much money

SV Enchantress
located Herrington Harbour South, Friendship MD
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
bloodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 08:11   #25

Don't buy a used spinnaker unless it still has at least a little crunch left. If it's soft like a hankie it is too frustrating to fly. You'll spoil the experience.
Old 20-07-2010, 08:17   #26

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhunter View Post
Bubblehead,
We use an asymetrical (poleless) radial head spinnaker in the light air we get on the bay. You might check out Bacon's in Annapolis. They have a large variety of used drifters and asymetrical spinnakers and regular spinnakers for very reasonable prices. I got mine there cost me $900 sted $2000. Yours might be less. Would at least let you see how well it works for you for not much money
I've already been to Bacon's and put a deposit down on a new, unused radial head asymm in their consignment inventory. I've installed all the rigging bits and I should pick up the sail next week. I'm pretty excited to try it.
Old 22-07-2010, 15:03   #27

Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
We have used ours some, I try to use it when there is no wind and it upsets my wife. I try to get her on the helm while I adjust it. We don't often use it, I have had a couple of good days with it. Part of the problem was it is sooo big and us not having any experience with the light air sails and this rig. At first I had friends show me how to rig it, they got it wrong. I finally saw a picture of another boat like ours flying the rig, it made sense.

The tack hooks into two block and tackle rigs, one attached to each bow of the boat. Then it can be moved while flying, back and forth as needed from the port bow to the starboard bow or centered.

Hey BubbleHead, maybe you would like to come for a sail one day. We can trade a little of your light air sail knowledge for a few cold brews along the way.

Chester
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 05:28   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
All the time - Its the best cruising sail on our boat. I am looking around for a few extras in smaller sizes. Prefer it to any other sail.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 06:33   #29

Boat: Hunter 49 - FELA
Chester,

I know what your probelm is when flying your spinnaker, you have to let the dock lines go!!! LOL I am available Sunday afternoon to help you set it up. Do you have a sock w/spinnaker?

V49
Old 30-07-2010, 07:13   #30

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
If cruising means daysailing around with at least 3 crew, spinnakers make sense.

If cruising is passagemaking with one or two people on board, the spinnaker cons outweigh the pros. The cons are the expense, the storage room it takes up, the time to rig it, and chances that you will break something when the wind comes up.

In our case, the spinnaker comes out less than once per year.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote