Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 14:02   #1
Marine Service Provider

Spinnaker on a 34' Cruising Cat - Yes or No?

Who here has a spinnaker, and how often do you REALLY use it?

Is there really that much of an advantage (speed or otherwise) to using a spinnaker, over a 150 genoa with a pole?

Besides, I'm looking to cruise, not race.

Also, it kind of defeats the purpose of running all your lines aft, when you're going to have this giant sail that you need to go to the foredeck to hoist anyway.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 15:17   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Big speed difference. OK in flat water but too much headache offshore. We now use asym..

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 18:11   #3

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
You'd need to go to the foredeck to rig the pole...

asymmetrical with sock. Easier than rigging a pole on the genoa. You'll never fly a spinnaker again.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:23   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
You'd need to go to the foredeck to rig the pole...

asymmetrical with sock. Easier than rigging a pole on the genoa. You'll never fly a spinnaker again.
Yeah, good point about that pole. Although I guess I could run some more lines back to the other side of the boat. I saw diagrams on another site on how to run lines to deploy the pole from the cockpit.

Actually it is an asymmetrical in a sock that I have. Haven't used it yet.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:14   #5
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Grunster, you should be able to rig a symmetrical from the bows of your cat without a pole. Mount standing blocks at each bow for the tack (tighten down on the windward side, then when jibing, release that and tighten down on the opposite hull). Sheeting is from the leeward side of the sail, depending upon the tack, obviously. Very easy.

brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:26   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
How about twin headsails?........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:58   #7

Boat: gemini 3200
asym

We use an asym on our gemini and in the right conditions it is great!

-dennis
fla.sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:54   #8

Boat: Privilege 37
Twin genoas for running downhill until winds become too light, then haul out the assymetric.

I was always happy rigging mine while singlehanding on a 9m cat, so a 34ft boat should be easier!

Old 09-09-2009, 11:15   #9

We use out kites often when cruising, always when racing.

A poled out 150 is not the best, the LP is too long to allow you to set efficiently with the pole. A 130 is better for this configuration.

One of the nice things about cruising is choosing a course you like. With a kite you can generate ventilation. Bring it up a bit and have some breeze across the deck rather then slugging it out DDW.

I have always felt that being on deck is simply part of sailing, that's where all the stuff is.

Here is the son of a friend as we are reaching home in 15~20, he loved sitting on the bow and watching the world float by. We backed down to a staysail sailing at 6-7 knots for lunch then powered back up into the low teens after lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post

Is there really that much of an advantage (speed or otherwise) to using a spinnaker, over a 150 genoa with a pole?

Also, it kind of defeats the purpose of running all your lines aft, when you're going to have this giant sail that you need to go to the foredeck to hoist anyway.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:38   #10
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Every chance I get!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post

Yes, below 10 knots I can set it single handed, no sweat. Above that there is a tendency to make tangles if there is noone to sheet it home. Nothing dangerous.

Up to about 15 knots true, it is definatly a cruising sail. Above that, fun if you really want to cover miles.

I just came around the delmarva and flew a chute continuously in 5 - 15 knots from the head of the Chesapeake to Deale, and from Chincoteague to Lewis. The alternative was motoring. I sail with a mimimal family crew, and with a sleave, it is easy. I tack it to a bridle and do outside jibes.

Does it add speed? Generally at least 1.5 knots, depending on the point of sail and wind. Expect to get the boat speed very close to the apparent wind speed, perhaps 1-2 knots less. I do know that no one, including the monohulls that were racing, kept up as we came down the Bay. Quickly walked away from a Gemini 105mc with a reacher up, and I know the Gemini and the PDQ 32 to be very close in speed.

Is it hard to trim? No, but there is a learning curve. However, in settled conditions, once trimmed in properly, the auto pilot can handle it for hours at a time. You have to over trim a tick to make that work, but when cruising, who cares.

Off-shore is fine too, IMHO. The worst condition is light wind with power boat wakes. A genny might be better, since the waves do not match the wind.

If the wind is over 15 knots true or I am really trying to do my best, I will hand steer.

Really, what a chute does is help you go deeper off the wind with good speed.

Tags
spinnaker