Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2006, 13:25   #1
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Spain Customs Do Not Require You to 'Check-in' ?

I sailed from France to NW Spain (atlantic coast) and when I came into port with my yellow flag after calling on the radio , I was told that customs did not "want or need us to visit them" and that the marina would take my info in case they ask for it.
I thought maybe because this was a small port that was true, after stopping at 3 places all saying the same thing, i suppose its true, but still wonder.

Anyone know if I should be in touch with customs? im in Zumaya now.
Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 23:21   #2

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah
Ram,
That appears to be the norm in all of the Spanish ports I've visited in the Med as well. Even Gibraltar leaves the entry processing of visiting yachts to the Marinas. Only in Portugal did I encounter an immigration officer at check-in at the Marina, and there it was only the larger marinas (Horta, Ponta Delgada, and Lagos). In Flores, Sao Jorge and Sines the GNR police processed the paper work. In Terceira and Cascais it was done by the marina office.

My guess is with most visiting yachts in Europe being from EU and Schengen countries there is not a whole lot for immigration and customs to do and to forego the expense of staffing each marina they've transfered the function to the marina office personnel. The result is I've been in Spanish waters for over 6 weeks, but my passport does not show it as it has not been stamped. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customs, Spain