Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2015, 16:40   #31

Boat: lagoon 450
Re: Soon to be a sailboat owner (I hope)

Towing it can be done with a van but not recommended. A lot of this depends on your ramp.
worldisflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 16:52   #32

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Thomm, I've been watching Cadences posts for a while, and he doesn't seem inexperienced or simple minded to me.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Well, he didn't seem to understand my post so I thought I should explain it. (looks like he's from South Carolina so that tells you quite a bit right there. I spent 3 months on an island there when I was 19 and do not plan on going back!)

I'm glad you guys are backing him up though. Maybe it will help him feel more secure.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 03:31   #33

The trailering and stepping of the mast with the boat on the trailer does open up a new can of worms though I must say. I believe we only let a mast dropped once due to a miscommunication with the 4 Beach Cats we had. The masts on those were around 26' as is the one on the Catalina I believe.

Most of the time my boats stayed fully assembled either at the sailing club parking lot at the lake in Mississippi or on the beach in Florida. It makes it much easier to take a quick sail after work.......

I've seen boats (Hobie Cats/Nacras) being set up in parking lots do quite a bit of damage to the much more expensive vehicles they were being pulled by. Sometimes to other boats are damaged as well.

When you have 30-40 boats being setup at one time things happen. Even more so during disassembly.

Then there's the mast drop when your assistant doesn't get the pin in correctly for the forestay.

Also, watch out for those power wires!
Old 06-08-2015, 04:32   #34

I agree with Thomm, my first boat was a Fireball 17, even the little mast on it was a pain in the neck to rig when I wanted to go sailing, eventually I ended up leaving it rigged on a trailer in a marina. I can't imagine dealing with a Cat 22 mast every time I wanted to use it.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 13:24   #35

Boat: Cataliba 22 foot

Well I got a nasty attitude when I asked to see it sail so I have passed on the boat.

I am not going to rush into a purchase. I do not know what a blown out sail looks like (does anyone have a pic)?

I have only been sailing for about 20 hours. On the plus side the guy that has been taking me out is making me do everything. Telling me how, letting me try then showing me. We had a good day sailing yesterday with some of my family picking on me as I figuring out. Then the winds got to be a bit high and I got a little bit nervous out on the bay but he would not take control and told me I had to learn if I wanted to sail. I agree

I found a 26 foot MacGregor that looks like it is in in good condition trailer and motor. If it is still up on Craigslist Friday I may drive the 2 hours to look at it. It is the same boat as the one I am learning on.

Thanks for all the advice.
Steve
"If you don't read the news paper you are ill-informed, if you do read the news paper you are misinformed". "If you practice anything long enough you will get good at it to include BS". Denzel Washington
snccoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 14:00   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by snccoulter View Post
Well I got a nasty attitude when I asked to see it sail so I have passed on the boat.

I am not going to rush into a purchase. I do not know what a blown out sail looks like (does anyone have a pic)?

I have only been sailing for about 20 hours. On the plus side the guy that has been taking me out is making me do everything. Telling me how, letting me try then showing me. We had a good day sailing yesterday with some of my family picking on me as I figuring out. Then the winds got to be a bit high and I got a little bit nervous out on the bay but he would not take control and told me I had to learn if I wanted to sail. I agree
etc
I found a 26 foot MacGregor that looks like it is in in good condition trailer and motor. If it is still up on Craigslist Friday I may drive the 2 hours to look at it. It is the same boat as the one I am learning on.

Steve

Skip the Macgregor!

Get something that if one day you want to cruise it someplace you can. A boat that will protect you.

My boat has saved me tons of times already. I used to race catamarans and could run at 15-23 knots from weather. Not so on a monohull, but if your boat is a good one getting caught in 35 -40 knot winds for a while is simply a time to heave too and have a beer if you have some sea room. This is my experience anyway.

A Macgregor in those conditions may not do so well. Check the disp below.

The Macgregor is like a toy boat. There was one next to my boat all winter when I had it in the yard to repaint the bottom and top side hull. It was a nice clean boat but when I slammed the side of my fist against the lower hull it gave in quite a bit whereas my Bristol would hurt my hand and arm if I hit it like that

For example, I lucked out and bought my Bristol 27 for $2,000.00.

The mistake I made was thinking it was a $2,000.00 boat.

I looked at a $32,000 Ericson 35 Mk III yesterday with it's keel chewed up aft plus other negatives, then I looked at a Cal 31 that appeared to be leaking quite a bit and they had just dropped the price to $14,900.

My boat is better than both and I maybe should have invested in a good diesel for it.

I have found a Morgan 323 though with a new engine.

You need to look at weight. disp/length ratio etc not how cute the boat is.

Check for boats on this list if you want a "real" cruising boat

Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List

Macgregor 26:

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=4099

Bristol 27 :

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=521
Old 09-08-2015, 14:32   #37

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Well, he didn't seem to understand my post so I thought I should explain it. (looks like he's from South Carolina so that tells you quite a bit right there. I spent 3 months on an island there when I was 19 and do not plan on going back!)

I'm glad you guys are backing him up though. Maybe it will help him feel more secure.
What did I do to piss you off. I guess my 68 yrs of 72 on the water from Canada to Key West some commercial time makes me a hick from SC. I'm a Damn Yankee came and never left. First 20 yrs was Staten Island, if you can figure out were that is. I think throwing stones at a particular place shows a lack of taste to express it mildly. Maybe your post was BS, I don't even remember it. Don't assault people it shows a lack of class.JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 14:41   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
What did I do to piss you off. I guess my 68 yrs of 72 on the water from Canada to Key West some commercial time makes me a hick from SC. I'm a Damn Yankee came and never left. First 20 yrs was Staten Island, if you can figure out were that is. I think throwing stones at a particular place shows a lack of taste to express it mildly. Maybe your post was BS, I don't even remember it. Don't assault people is shows a lack of class.JMHO
As I remember it, you insulted me.

I don't like carpetbaggers anyway, so I'll stand behind my insults!

Or maybe, it was me in my past life that didn't like carpetbaggers.

When I was 7 or 8 years old, I was walking down the hill where Pickett's Charge began at Gettysburg and I had a deja vu moment. I didn't even know what it meant at the time.

I was also thinking how strange it was that all the rednecks were displaying their Confederate Flags up here recently due to the South Carolina ruling on the "our" Battle Flag but no one mentioned Armistead Avenue in Hampton.

Maybe they were just sad they didn't have a war to die in fighting for the rich man. I'm not sure.

I don't think I made it as far as General Armistead did that day though. It's weird that I was born again in Virginia.

When I got back up here, I saw a General Lee License Plate! I could understand a General Longstreet License Plate or Hood maybe, but Lee? WTF? Head on Charge? Direct assault against rifled muskets. Idiot!

I'm just saying.............
Old 09-08-2015, 14:52   #39

Quote:
As I remember it, you insulted me.

I don't like carpetbaggers anyway so I'll stand behind my insults!

Or maybe, it was me in my past life that didn't like carpetbaggers.

When I was 7 or 8 years old, I was walking down the hill where Pickett's Charge began at Gettysburg and I had a deja vu moment. I didn't even know what it meant at the time.

I was also thinking how strange it was that all the rednecks were displaying their Confederate Flags here recently due to the South Carolina ruling on the Battle Flag but no one mention Armistead Avenue in Hampton.

I don't think I made it as far as General Armistead did that day though. It's weird that I was born again in Virginia.

When I got back up I could understand a General Longstreet License Plate or Hood maybe, but Lee. WTF? Head on Charge? Direct assault against rifled muskets. Idiot!

I'm just saying.............
Have it your way! I don't want to come down to that level.
Old 09-08-2015, 15:10   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Have it your way! I don't want to come down to that level.
Sorry, I thought maybe you were up on your history. Everything I said above went right over your head I reckon.

Hey, I'm suppose to be the redneck here.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I agree with Eisenhower, Longstreet, and Hood and would have flanked to the right around Little Round Top.

This has to do with battle strategy not politics or Civil War outcome. The whole thing at Gettysburg would never have happened in the first place if Jackson hadn't been killed at C'ville.
Old 09-08-2015, 17:49   #41

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Back on topic....
A lot of people in my marina have macgregor's and are quite happy with them. They seem to do well with light winds and get much closer to the swimming beach than I do.
I don't think I would trade but everything is a compromise. Figure out what's important to you and go for it
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 20:45   #42

Boat: Formerly MacGregor Venture 22, now a landlubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by snccoulter View Post

Steve
I owned a MacGregor/Venture 22 swing keel back in the day. It was a decent enough little boat for Tampa Bay, and a great boat to learn to sail on as it was easy single-hander.

Other than the usual (sails, rigging, etc) be sure that you inspect the swing keel cable, the keel itself, the winch, the pivot bolt and the fiberglass around the keelbox very thoroughly. In fact, if the owner can't document when he last replaced the cable, I'd just go ahead and replace it. Make sure that the keel has not smashed into the hull due to a broken cable, that puts immense stress on the mounting bolts and can cause a failure in the hull at that point later on. It'll usually be evident by a fiberglass repair around the pivot bolt area.

It's best to get a test-sail before purchase, I would definitely adjust my offer downwards if the owner refuses. Having owned one trailerable sailboat and been involved in a few others, I'd pass on anything that wasn't in tow-off/sail-ready condition.

Trailer - Tow it a few miles and feel the hub bearings, they shouldn't be hot to the touch. Tires shouldn't be dry-rotted. The frame and springs shouldn't have excessive corrosion. Trailer parts aren't super expensive, but if the trailer is shot, it's best to walk away.

Sails - Should not have mold/mildew. Mast sliders and all other connection points should be present and in good condition. "Blown out" means the material has been stretched over the years so that the sail no longer holds a taut "wing" shape when in use, the panels balloon out a bit. Pay close attention to the sails, used replacements can be hundreds and new can run into the thousands of dollars.

Motor - If it comes with an outboard motor, great, but I wouldn't figure on paying any more for the boat if the motor is more than 5 years old. Many people don't maintain them, and they can be very expensive to repair.
Dr. Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 15:34   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
Back on topic....
A lot of people in my marina have macgregor's and are quite happy with them. They seem to do well with light winds and get much closer to the swimming beach than I do.
I don't think I would trade but everything is a compromise. Figure out what's important to you and go for it
Sure a Macgregor is an awesome boat for learning to sail, but one day you may want to grow up and be a real sailor which is what I'm attempting so a good boat is essential.

Why not buy a similar boat at the same price that can do it all.

In the first video, the wind continued to build until it was around 25 knots. I was on the same tack and the wind was the same direction NE which means Atlantic Ocean waves mixing with Chesapeake Bay Waves. Looks like 12-14 in the video. My starboard registration decal got washed off it got so rough. I hit smooth water as soon as I got behind the Eastern Shore's Peninsula though 17 miles further North.

Two days later was the downwind run after the front passed.

Winds built and stayed between 24-30 mph for 4 hours. In the video, I'd saw they were 22 knots or so. Not good Macgregor weather....

Old 10-08-2015, 16:01   #44

Quote:
Sure a Macgregor is an awesome boat for learning to sail, but one day you may want to grow up and be a real sailor which is what I'm attempting so a good boat is essential.

Why not buy a similar boat at the same price that can do it all.

In the first video, the wind continued to build until it was around 25 knots and I was on the same tack and the wind was the same direction. Looks like 12-14 in the video. My starboard registration decal got washed off it got so rough. I hit smooth water as soon as I got behind the Eastern Shore's Peninsula though 17 miles further North.

Two days later was the downwind run after the front passed.

Winds built and stayed between 24-30 mph for 4 hours. In the video, I'd saw they were 22 knots or so. Not good Macgregor weather....

I'm back, go see a shrink. You have an ego problem. You assaulted me for living in SC and then called me a carpet bagger. I have a thick skin. Now telling him to grow up. Get a grip. I doubt anyone cares about your great conquest of the sea at this point. I'm glad you like your boat but attacking others proves nothing. JMHO
Old 10-08-2015, 16:20   #45

I'm sorry that you are still upset because I said the guy may not know what a blown out sail was because he is a beginner. (see posts above)

This is how sad this argument is.

I'm no great cruiser but I can do things with sailboats most cruisers cannot from racing against some of the best small catamaran racers in the US for as many as 10 months out of the year every weekend for 10 years.

You go from being a hotshot sailor and winning all the time on Mississippi Lakes to a know nothing on the Gulf Coast.

You have to have an ego to handle that and rebuild as well as being a single parent and new boss man building a contract that went large.

Speaking of racing on the Gulf Coast, I hate Panama City and the race course in the video below. I'm not from there and in Catamaran Racing you have to know all the channels where the tides run or you will lose if you are in a close race because the current is strongest in the deeper waters.

Yep, that's how complicated it gets and that's just off the boat stuff. You still have to have the correct boat setup as in prebend, mast rake, sail selection, traveler position, main sheet tension, mast rotation, etc. Scroll down to see the 2015 North American A Cat Catamaran Championship highlights.

United States A-Class Catamaran Association

The carpetbagger thing was a fun way to start an argument on those times but unfortunately for me you were not up for it.

That was yesterday though and it's gone. My mind is in a new place today.

Speaking of ego, check the guy that rounded the mark first in this 32 mile regatta against much faster boats. Some say I cheated because I was running three sails and 335 square ft of sail on a 300 lb boat but I took the modification penalty and still won

http://www.owners.aquarius-sail.com/...topic.php?t=86

Nacra I17R from early 2001. I had a blade jib on mine in the day in question. Fun stuff unless the wind gets too high

https://www.google.com/search?q=nacr...DnzbBbtE4_M%3A

Tags
sail, sailboat