Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2015, 13:15   #106

Re: Some yachts are plain ugly and some beautiful, why and does it matter?

Let's face it, many of the best sellers are those that give people More.. more... more. Often the non marine oriented spouse helps with that decision. It certainly doesn't mean it's better.
Otherwise you'd be saying the Bayliner is the best motor boat out there....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 13:48   #107
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
LOL only.........

I dont think its beautiful.

Never mind. Good job we all dont like the same things.
Gary,

Meet Pico, one of the watch pugs at the shipyard. He sometimes has trouble finding a date.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	415.6 KB
ID:	103344  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 14:17   #108

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Boats that are reminiscent of working sailboats or current designs can be beautiful or ugly. I like the sweet sheer line and balanced ends of the better CCA designs, and I'm a sucker for Bill Garden designs but I can also appreciate the purposeful and efficient lines of a Bill Dixon or other modern designers. Noelex and SWL have picked a design that is both modern and beautiful. That doesn't mean I like the looks of the floating condos and IKEA interiors of many modern production boats.

Most of all I want a boat that floats right side up, keeps the water on the outside, is easily driven and controlled, and has the capacity and comfort for long term cruising. There are lots of ways for a boat to be beautiful.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 14:51   #109

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

I almost bought a Holman and Pye boat, a Bowman 36 ketch. It was a beautiful boat, just not practical for us. The crealock is a much better fit, and while not the prettiest boat in the world, it's easy enough on the eyes, and practical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 14:57   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Gary,

Meet Pico, one of the watch pugs at the shipyard. He sometimes has trouble finding a date.
I would imagine he doesnt steer too well in rough water either.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 16:24   #111

Quote:
I think its more likely that they accept that its a rare monohull that is pretty.
True. But some look OK, and they all do constantly try to improve themselves.

44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 17:55   #112

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The question was basically, Why do looks matter? Well, you can add up the entire annual production coming out of Hylas, Morris, Ted Hood, Seaward and Hinckley (are they still in business?), Hunter and Island Packet and the total amount won't even equal the weekly output from one major European manufacturer like Beneteau, Jeaneau, Bavaria, Hanse etc.

Looks matter. I'm not suggesting that the Beneteau is built like a Morris, but the Morris would be very much at home in 1985, whereas the Beneteau would look like an alien spaceship in 1985. Today's buyers want style first, not dated looks and utility.

I left out J Boats because the primary focus of the brand is racing. But if some argue that the a few of the American boats mentioned are mostly semi custom, well then I can point to Swan, Oyster, Najad (if they're still in business) and say these builders produce many more yachts per year than their American counterparts. I think Oyster manufacturers more 575 and 88 foot yachts per year than the total annual Morris production.
I'd love to know how you know how many boats all of these builders are selling. And if selling more yachts means a boat looks better then Mcgregor sailboats were the best looking sailboats ever produced.

Hinckley sells 7 models of sailboats & 10 different powerboats so I guess they are still in business. I'm sure it's true that Beneteau sells more boats than Hinckley but I have a sneaking suspicion that it has more to do with price than looks. Take the Hinckley 42' Daysailor. Can you honestly say that any Beneteau looks better than this boat?

Hinckley Yachts - Luxury Sailboats - Daysailer - single-handed sailing yacht - DS42
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 18:29   #113
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Yikes that Shan-none looks like a clump of brown truck camper growin from a bullSheeeet tree. Twin screws haha. Me thinks I'll go with a Nordhavn with one and a backyup ngin. eeew Disgustin layout and finish. Thought shan-none was better than that?. Nope not for SMB not at all. fugly dugly i me thinks
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 18:45   #114

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I'd love to know how you know how many boats all of these builders are selling. And if selling more yachts means a boat looks better then Mcgregor sailboats were the best looking sailboats ever produced.

Hinckley sells 7 models of sailboats & 10 different powerboats so I guess they are still in business. I'm sure it's true that Beneteau sells more boats than Hinckley but I have a sneaking suspicion that it has more to do with price than looks. Take the Hinckley 42' Daysailor. Can you honestly say that any Beneteau looks better than this boat?

Hinckley Yachts - Luxury Sailboats - Daysailer - single-handed sailing yacht - DS42
Correction: I did not mean to call Mcgregors yachts.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 19:58   #115

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
We all buy boats for different reasons.

I like Catamarans for the space, stability, privacy, ease of use and a host of other reasons. Once its established to me, that the steering position and controls are to my liking, the sail management system is good, I then turn to the interior design. Bright, free air flow, beds that have side access and not squashed into the space, good storage, nice head and shower, good galley- only then do I turn to the looks of the vessel, and will choose one that is most appealing BUT- with the caveat that all the above mentioned essentials are fulfilled first. It cuts out a lot of indecision knowing what you want.

Looking at a monohull, I would prefer enclosed wheelhouse type shelter. Why would I want to be swaddled in wet gear for hours at a time when I dont need to be?

So yes......... Modern design is attractive, but it has to meet prior requirements or else it is not a package I would want.

Cardiff:51.27'31,29N 3'10'24.39W
Doogee 310 dual sim phone #1/THREE network/#2/VodaphoneEspana off.
Have to agree. Whilst some like the look of monohulls and thats more than fine I like the look of the practicallity of a catamaran for my purposes.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 20:07   #116

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
True. But some look OK, and they all do constantly try to improve themselves.

Aww, cute. It's taking a bath (to improve itself).
Maybe we should give it some privacy.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 21:59   #117
cruiser

Sunreef makes great looking catamarans, we see them all the time here in the Med. I'd trade our boat in a heartbeat for one. Maybe in a few years.

Have never seen one in America, not even at the major boat shows.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	124
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	103364  
Old 07-06-2015, 22:03   #118
cruiser

Here's the latest cruising yacht offering by Sunreef. Cutting edge styling, size, (a little too big for just the two of us), the company isn't resting on its 1970's arse and spitting out the same old, same old.

But don't expect to ever see one in the States.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	128
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	103365  
Old 08-06-2015, 00:07   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Im a minimalist by nature and choice. I love clean lines and clutter free. And yet,. The Sunreef Cat does not appeal. Maybe really I like a little 'character' and blimp here and there?

I used to think that I prefered European design over American, but the truth is that some American car design is eternally classic. Some European design is of the IKEA mold, or from the Home Depot/B & Q school of thinking.

There is no doubt that European boat design has more innovation and curvy lines and more radical innovative ideas incorporated. Maybe because I am 'European', there is more of a selective process going on inside where being impressed is a little harder to achieve/ Where divisions can be made as to what style is. Where lines can be drawn when looking at boats and recognizing influences. That vessel is from the Italian school. That one is French. That is definitely Dutch with its sold and reassuring lines etc.

America in mainstream boat design does appear to have stayed firmly in a time warp, only presenting small changes to the tried and true. Improvements have been made and added, yet still within the parameters of the comfortable and familiar. Where changes have been made radically, it has usually been at the hands of a 'designer' instead of a sailor, and a loss of safety features has ensued. Boxy designs, poor sea kindly shapes and fittings etc.

Ken has sailed a lot in the Med the last couple of years or so. He has been exposed to European styling and has been (rightly) impressed with the differences. There is a need for the USA to shake themselves in that department........... and yet........ the majority of boats sold in the USA stay in the USA and the furthest ever sailed is perhaps the Bahamas, again an American enclave.

So a cultural rebellion regarding boat design only seems to happen when a purchaser is exposed to European styling when sailing outside of the USA or else USA boat design would not be selling at all.

I dont like the Sunreef Ken. My European British eye views it as boring and just like every other European Cat design. Not a fan of open bridge deck or the massive overhang of the hard cover.

So at the end of the day, we get to pick what WE like. If I could buy ANY Cat....... and the choice is open , what do I like? Hmm.......

For innovation and ease of use in a Large Cat..... But not in love with the sleeping accommodation, it would be a British design Cat:
Broadblue 550. I would redesign the interior. It will probably never be a big seller simply because it is before its time. I love it.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:23   #120
cruiser

Gary,

Now you're coming around, there's still hope for you. That Broadblue 550 Catamaran is nice! It's quite different that the American offering at the Annapolis show, the Gemini, which looks like a thirty year old design. I know the high tech Gunboat was there, but the company seems to have some design issues to sort out, since that boat was abandoned at sea only a week following the show.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	125
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	103368  

Tags
yacht