Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2015, 07:22   #151
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Some yachts are plain ugly and some beautiful, why and does it matter?

They sold over a hundred of the 65. Won every race for the longest time. Fast and stable.

Made to a price, sadly a low one. Lamination issues on some.
On the water they look lovely. Handle a lot of weather.

I do like the sleek 'liner' styling of the deck.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 12:42   #152

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Hinckley still builds sail boats they are releasing a new one this summer with a very modern somewhat euro look.

Hinckley - Bermuda Gallery
Old 09-06-2015, 12:52   #153
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin A View Post
Hinckley still builds sail boats they are releasing a new one this summer with a very modern somewhat euro look.

Hinckley - Bermuda Gallery
The new Hinkley looks great! Welcome to the 21st century.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 14:27   #154
med

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Brings us back to the Amel: I can understand perfectly the desire for not having teak. But there is no case for fake teak.
+1

Absolutely agree with you on that.
No form. No function. Dreadful.
med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 14:53   #155

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
They sold over a hundred of the 65. Won every race for the longest time. Fast and stable.

I can't agree that it's attractive but it sure is an interesting boat. Do you know what the sail away price was? I'll bet it was a lot of boat for the money. It's my understanding that Macgregor sold more boats than any other builder in history.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 14:55   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post

Many years ago when these boats were new I boarded one to have a look. My first step on the boat was on the cockpit seat and it was laid up so thin it flexed like crazy which is something that I never felt on any sailboat I have ever been on. Interior was plastic and black plexiglass with a few colored cushions. In the galley there was no space for a normal sized plate. Some of the boats had chain plate issues. They were quick especially to windward and they were impressive to watch as well. Now go over to another Californian builder, Santa Cruz. Here was a boat that was very light as well but it was bitch stiff with a very high build quality and also very quick. I'd spend my money on an old Santa Cruz and refit it and I would have an excellent offshore boat that would go anywhere as well as be just as quick as most of the newer modern wedgies. The M65 is not worth refitting in my mind unless you enjoy local sailing and you just like the looks of it. The M65 is was fast, light and cheap but not that strong. Santa Cruz was very fast light and expensive and very strong. Same scenarios that are played out in todays market place.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 15:20   #157
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by med View Post
+1

Absolutely agree with you on that.
No form. No function. Dreadful.

And today, there is no need or justification for real teak decks either.

Not when there is molded nonskid and appliqué Treadmaster and such.

I love the look of traditional real teak decks in either honey color or silver (weathered) but recognize their negatives.

I see the fake teak as fake, but if it functions as a nonskid surface, I see it as analogous to Treadmaster but with a different pattern, admittedly not such an aggressive texture as their classic "diamond" pattern.

The linear decorative pattern (e.g. on an Amel), that copies teak decks, does not bother me any more than manufactured or fake "wood" flooring that is commonly seen in modern homes. It serves two purposes, functional and decorative (emulating wood strips). I grew up on 100 year old real oak hardwood floors, but today's modern "wood flooring" can be attractive, low maintenance, lower cost, and just as functional.

Treadmaster does make a "Teak Effect" fake teak deck covering. See the photos below to show the same area with Treadmaster Original (dark grey) and with the Teak Effect. I prefer the look of the Teak Effect over the dark grey color.

ymmv
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Treadmaster Colors.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	103483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Deck Treadmaster Teak Effect.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	103484  

Name:	Deck Treadmaster Original dark grey.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	103485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Treadmaster Light Blue on Deck.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	103486  

Name:	Deck Nonskid Light Grey.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	103487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Deck Nonskid Tan.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	103488  

Name:	Deck nonskid Treadmaster brown deck.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	103489  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 20:12   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post

And today, there is no need or justification for real teak decks either.

Not when there is molded nonskid and appliqué Treadmaster and such.

I love the look of traditional real teak decks in either honey color or silver (weathered) but recognize their negatives.

I see the fake teak as fake, but if it functions as a nonskid surface, I see it as analogous to Treadmaster but with a different pattern, admittedly not such an aggressive texture as their classic "diamond" pattern.

The linear decorative pattern (e.g. on an Amel), that copies teak decks, does not bother me any more than manufactured or fake "wood" flooring that is commonly seen in modern homes. It serves two purposes, functional and decorative (emulating wood strips). I grew up on 100 year old real oak hardwood floors, but today's modern "wood flooring" can be attractive, low maintenance, lower cost, and just as functional.

Treadmaster does make a "Teak Effect" fake teak deck covering. See the photos below to show the same area with Treadmaster Original (dark grey) and with the Teak Effect. I prefer the look of the Teak Effect over the dark grey color.

ymmv
Not sure why but the treadmaster looks much better to my eye than the fake teak on the Amel's
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 21:30   #159
cruiser

Nothing beats the real teak on our decks for comfort grip and low maintenance. Of course it did require lots of work to refinish, but I'd never trade it for the old nonskid on our former boat. When it eventually needs replacement in ten years, the new stuff they're using on the Lagoon catamarans looks and feels like real teak. Will likely use that product.
Old 09-06-2015, 21:37   #160
cruiser

Regarding the Macgregor 65, I've seen one in Southern California and one in Mallorca. They don't seem to make sense and appear very cheap. But the Money saved at the initial point of purchase is spent many times over in slip and berthing fees. The boat has the internal volume of maybe a 40ft boat, but the owner pays the astronomically higher fees of a sixty foot yacht, just to look quite silly as a pretender parked next to something substantial.
Old 10-06-2015, 00:54   #161
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Regarding the Macgregor 65, I've seen one in Southern California and one in Mallorca. They don't seem to make sense and appear very cheap. But the Money saved at the initial point of purchase is spent many times over in slip and berthing fees. The boat has the internal volume of maybe a 40ft boat, but the owner pays the astronomically higher fees of a sixty foot yacht, just to look quite silly as a pretender parked next to something substantial.
The weird thing about this statement is the premise it is made on.

Initially there was "attraction" to the vessel BECAUSE of its looks and only a subsequent walk through showed that 'beauty' was only skin deep. Your rejection of the boat is based not on the looks, but on your personal knowledge of her 'character' flaws.

Its a shame that MacGregor, as an MBA, was only interested in producing a vessel on a cost/profit basis that excluded a higher quality for the build and fitting. His criteria for mass produced inexpensive boats was met and surpassed in the 26 footer, but thats another discussion.

I like the look of the boat. It epitomises EVERYTHING about a fast sleek large luxury sailing vessel. Had it been made in the traditional way, it would have cost 3 times more. Ken is right regarding the space and looks internally, yet that was the trade off for getting this vessel.

It succeeded. over 100 built and sold, some chartered, a few circumnavigations, and money in the bank.

I dont mind saying that when one came for sale here in South England, I went and viewed it. I could live with the interior, I could see what could be done to make it individual. I just had issues with it regarding certain elements of the surveyors report.

Oh........... and where do you keep the bloody thing? ANY boat over 45 feet in the UK will cost your left arm, your firstborn and next weeks wages to moor.

All that has been said regarding the 65 is either the whole truth or most of it. Yet, had it been a regular build and priced accordingly, I believe it would have been an all time classic - Just look what it achieved in being a cheap production.

To my eyes, from (more) than 20 feet, It is beautiful and has the feel of a 1940s classic gentlemans racer. You opinion may vary.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht