Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2009, 12:01   #1

Some Layperson's Questions

Hi!

Unfortunately I've no idea about sailing. However, I'd like to know more about it.

Let's start step by step. For instance, what's a prodder and what is one supposed to do with it? Please offer easy and thorough explanations.

If this topic should not fit into this sub-forum I bid the administration to remove it to the proper sub-forum. Thanks.
fardownbelow12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 12:26   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by fardownbelow12 View Post
Hi!what's a prodder and what is one supposed to do with it? .
For a first post, this has a lot of the hall marks of a troll, but I am answering it anyway as it may inform people anyway.

At the basic level, a prodder is the modern equivalent of a bowsprit. Which is the pole from the bow of the ship forward over the water, which is used as the point to secure the bottom of sails as far forward as possible.

In old wooden ships, the bowsprit was used to secure sails primarily used for close hauled sailing (sailing close to the wind)

The very latest racing catamaran Alighi - being completed for the next America's cup (if they ever stop litigation) has a massive prodder, which is being used in a similar manner to those old bowsprits

Its the big black thing in the foreground of the photo, with the plastic bag on it!
Old 29-07-2009, 12:31   #3

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
For a first post, this has a lot of the hall marks of a troll, but I am answering it anyway as it may inform people anyway.
If it makes you feel better, I learned something. Thanks for posting!
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 12:34   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings, and welcome aboard fardownbelow12.
Who are fardownbelow numbers 1 through 11?

See also the discussion on spinnaker prodders at
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...der-19538.html

And this one on Retractable Bowsprits at
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...prit-7929.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AsymmetricspinnakeronRetractableBowsprit-Prodder.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	9128   Click image for larger version

Name:	King 40 asym.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	9129  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 12:39   #5

Boat: Crealock 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
If it makes you feel better, I learned something. Thanks for posting!
News to me to - thanks for the interesting info!
texwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 04:01   #6

Thanks for the concise answers already given! - Well, this may be looking like trolling. But believe it or no, there are people out there who have not the smallest idea of sailing and I happen to be one of them.

Let's go on:

Please offer a thorough explanation of what a genua furler is supposed to be. I've got a fancy it's not that easy that it's just some kind of spool to furl the genua-sail around.

Oh, and: a composite prodder obviously is a prodder whose pole is composite of pole-parts one may add and substract, isn't it?

And, thirdly: what are davit-arms in relation to a dinghy lift? Please foolproof explanations only.

Fourthly: the 'bridgedeck clearance' is nothing more mysterious than simply the space or room available on the bridgedeck, it's measurements, so to say?
Old 30-07-2009, 04:57   #7

I'm sure I'm dwelling on your patience. However, if you wouldn't mind: please describe to me, with crystal-clarity, what a screecher is and how it is to be differentiated from kinds of small sails like the genua.
Old 30-07-2009, 05:47   #8

Genoa furler

In the old days the only way to reef a foresail, was to either replace it with a smaller sail, or to slab reef (fold up the bottom portion of the sail). The only way to furl (completely stow the sail) was to lower it and remove it or secure it in place. For the jib on the end of thebowsprit (remember that one?) this was a difficult procedure, especially on a small boat with a long bow sprit (and normally very wet!) Someone invented the concept of a furling drum at the bottom of the forestay, which enabled the sail to be furled up completely around the forestay. Then somebody came up with the bright idea of using this system to reef the foresail - it obviously had to be a much more robust system. Experience has shown that this is not a total answer as the shape of a sail is not flat, and reefing a big sail introduced a baggy slack bit in the centre. This is best removed by use of foam sewn in during the build of the sail in order to have as tight a wrap as possible, and leave a decent shaped sail even when reefed. Thus a foresail furler is just a furler, a foresail reefer will also furl the sail completely.

Composite Prodder.

I have not seen this term used, but is more likely to be a reference to the material the prodder is made from, than any other useage.

Screecher

There are differences between the different manufacturers about what they call their sails, particularly the large foresails designed to be used off the wind, for example Code Zero, Screacher, Gennaker are fairly similar sails but are slightly different cut and used with different wind angles. Some of the manufacturers have explanations of the details of their sails (I would look at North or Hood web sites)
Old 30-07-2009, 06:36   #9

Ah, Talbot, you're just great. Go on, by all means. We're still facing the challenge of the obscure davit-arms and the creepy bridgedeck-clearance.

Quote:
Composite Prodder.

I have not seen this term used, but is more likely to be a reference to the material the prodder is made from, than any other useage.
Yes, this has also been my first idea. But if you think of a 'hinged composite prodder', it rather seems that the prodder is hinged for the very reason that it is composite: that is, made of different added parts. - However, if my composition-fancy should be out of touch with sailing-reality, I'll drop it readily.
Old 30-07-2009, 06:40   #10

Boat: Beneteau 46.1
Learn something new every day. Been sailing since my teens (umm, some years ago) and never heard that term. Thanks.
gs41escapade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 09:01   #11

Hinged Prodder

A lot of catamarans are adding this as a means of having the prodder in place when needed, but can then fold it up when coming into harbour in order to reduce length of the vessel and thus berthing costs.

Bridgedeck clearance

This refers to catamarans and the distance between the waterline and the bottom of the structure between the hulls - i.e. how high can a wave get before smacking into the bottom of the bit between the hulls.

Davit arms

Bit of a corruption from original useage. Davits were designed to lift a boat up the side of the ship, keeping the boat relatively clear of the side of the ship, you then pivoted the davits in towards the hull, and this allowed the boat to be lowered and held on deck. Some davit arms have been attached to a sort of taga bar across the stern of boats (for radars, sonar panels, small aerials, wind generators etc) such that the davit arm can be raised and lowered in order to bring the dinghy closer. Thus the other structure is providing the height off the deck, and the davit arm, the distance over the stern of the vessel.
Old 30-07-2009, 09:15   #12

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Is this thread for real or some version of the reverse Nigerian 401 scam?
Old 30-07-2009, 09:28   #13

Boat: Gullfstar 50
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
For a first post, this has a lot of the hall marks of a troll
Oh Great and Magnificent Talbot, could you please explain, in nautical terms, the definition of a 'troll'

btw, good on ya' for helping FDB12
Old 30-07-2009, 09:59   #14

I think there's someone somewhere laughing their ass off.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 10:31   #15

Boat: Beneteau 46.1
See the definition of 'troll' here: Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
gs41escapade is offline   Reply With Quote