Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2020, 17:38   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee Perry 35
Some Glass Work No Doubt

Need some bits of help here. I am working on a Cheoy Lee Perry 35. These pictures are of the top of the hull where it meets toe rail and on the transom where it meets the teak slats out of the cockpit aft the rail.

What is my process here do we think? Is there a way to do good work without removing the toe rails or the teak slats at the stern? Or am I better off taking everything off and building up the repairs from within?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190424_172336.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	367.2 KB
ID:	207620   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190424_172332.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	400.9 KB
ID:	207621  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190422_144138.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	207622   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190422_144135.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	412.4 KB
ID:	207623  

Billy Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 05:27   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Some Glass Work No Doubt

Bill,

You have a choice, bodge it with bondo and accept it will probably fall out in due course and leak too.

Or remove the teak, grind down to good glass and make good. Does the teak need to go back again or would you be happy adding a hard wood strip as an edge and glassing over the top permanently.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 06:56   #3

Boat: Sabre 402

From the pictures it seems you have two things going on. The bedding for the rail needs to be reefed out and replaced with new, and the rail sanded and revarnished. Don’t skimp!! At least five coats of varnish!!
The other section (stern?) looks like it got hit by something. It’s not just a bedding issue. As Pete suggests, the teak should probably come off so you can really fix it. Otherwise it’s possible that water will get into the hull/deck joint there and continue to spread damage. The damaged area needs to be ground back to solid fiberglass and rebuilt with layers of mat & roving and resin. For an area this small you may be able to use epoxy resin. The repair would then need to be painted or gel coated to color-match the topsides... the least fun part. Reading a book on fiberglass repairs would be time well spent.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 04:38   #4

Boat: Cheoy Lee Perry 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Bill,

You have a choice, bodge it with bondo and accept it will probably fall out in due course and leak too.

Or remove the teak, grind down to good glass and make good. Does the teak need to go back again or would you be happy adding a hard wood strip as an edge and glassing over the top permanently.

Pete
I would be absolutely fine with adding a hard wood strip as an edge Pete. Either way I guess the teak is coming off to make the repair at the stern. Thanks so much.

And thank you psk125 as well. I guess the toe rail is coming off as well. Arg!!!
Billy Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 05:05   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

It's going to be a pretty horrible job, but within reach of most DIY'ers. Take your time to build up the layers and it will provide a strong water proof edge needing less maintenance

Spent half an hour talking to a friend in the boat yard a while back, whilst leaning on his transom.

He explained he took the swim platform off his large formula power boat. Filled the holes, cleaned it all up and asked what I thought about it. I said you wouldn't have known, the gelcoat looks mint. The said it was paint, so despite leaning against it for half an hour, I hadn't realised he had painted the transom and blended it in very well to match the remaining topsides.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, work