Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 28-02-2011, 17:30   #1

Boat: Tartan 37
Somali Coast - Stay Away

I am truly saddened over what is happening to people sailing off the Somali coast and now it is even worse with the news of the Danish family and their children. I am not trying to blame the innocent people making passage. However, I do have a sincere question: Until some group of powerful individuals can control this situation of piracy off the Somali coast, why do people continue to sail through that area? It is going to take drastic measures to control this criminal activity, as the Somali people don't value life very much -- their lives or the lives of others. They have little to lose. I don't have the answer and do not want to debate issues of whether civilian sailors should be armed or not, and what mistakes the military have made ..... these need to be taken up with your government officials wherever you may be. I just want to sincerely know why do people continue to go to this area when they know it's so dangerous. Please for your safety and the safety of the people you love -- stay away from the Somali coast.

Old 28-02-2011, 17:42   #2
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Somali Coast -- Stay Away

I agree, and I think from the reports that are being received is that virtually all yacht traffic is diverting, certainly the rallies are. ( now)

Quote:
I just want to sincerely know why do people continue to go to this area when they know it's so dangerous.
Thats easy ( unfortunately ) to answer. For the Danes, presumably they were returning home , the route around the Cape, requires in effect two transatlantics to get to the Med or Northern Europe and thats after the long and potentially trickey Indian Ocean/Cape transit. Hence the desire to "chance" the GofA route.

Put I suspect thats history, Only utter fools, would now consider a yacht transist without a constant armed military presence.

Dave

Old 28-02-2011, 18:21   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

It's not just the Somali coast. They have pirates down to Kenya and out to the Seychelles, and half way to India. It's a shame to see a handful of pirates controlling such a large area of the ocean.

I must admit that I would probably not repeat our transit of the Red Sea in the present atmosphere. Shipping the yacht around the danger zone would be an option.

http://SailingUNI.com
http://maxingout.com
http://PositiveThinkingSailor.com
maxingout is offline   Reply
Old 28-02-2011, 18:26   #4

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172

Yes, we're finally seeing a shift with this. Up until the Quest incident, people felt the odds were highly unlikely they'd be captured in the first place, & if they were, they would be released after somone paid the ransom.

Now it's becoming obvious that the risk isn't worth it, plus more & more experienced cruisers are telling us how risky it is.

...and how about this?

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude St. Martin- crewman mutilated & murdered

I'm sure people will still say how safe this place is, until we reach a tipping point there too.
Old 28-02-2011, 18:30   #5

So sad to take a chance like this to "get home." I hope they fair better than the QUEST. Yes, MAXINGOUT ...... it is quite far reaching now:

File:Somalian Piracy Threat Map 2010.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 28-02-2011, 18:31   #6

Excuse me ..... fare better. LOL
Old 01-03-2011, 09:19   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Re: Somali Coast - Stay Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLass View Post
I am truly saddened over what is happening to people sailing off the Somali coast and now it is even worse with the news of the Danish family and their children. I am not trying to blame the innocent people making passage. However, I do have a sincere question: Until some group of powerful individuals can control this situation of piracy off the Somali coast, why do people continue to sail through that area?....

Because the alternative is to go around the Cape of Good Hope.

I think the real question is 'Why do people feel compelled to sail around the World". It is a complicated question that those who have done it are probably much better qualified to comment on....

HOWEVER,

I want to live in a world where people can, and do so.

I believe that the world's citizens should be able to do so... and that if the nations of the world can not make this possible we have lost much much more then the right of passage.

If the US can not rise to this challenge, we have surely lost much.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:34   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zednotzee View Post
... and how about this?
Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude St. Martin- crewman mutilated & murdered
Too bad they can't get the story quite right.

Murdered chef wasn’t tortured

Ludovic Guillevin, the French chef of the megayacht “Cheetah Moon”, had only just come to the island on Friday evening and was dead by Saturday.

His fellow crew members are devastated by the crime, but at the same time are angered that the media on the island have "exaggerated" the story.

In an exclusive interview with The Daily Herald a fellow crew member who did not wish to be named said ...
Goto ➥ The Daily Herald -Murdered chef wasn

GordMay is offline   Reply
Old 01-03-2011, 10:14   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post

I think the real question is 'Why do people feel compelled to sail around the World". It is a complicated question that those who have done it are probably much better qualified to comment on....

HOWEVER,

I believe that the world's citizens should be able to do so... and that if the nations of the world can not make this possible we have lost much much more then the right of passage.

AMEN!
Old 01-03-2011, 10:24   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post

HOWEVER,

I understand your sentiments. But does it always have to be the US? There are many other countries that can handle this. I for one would like to take a break from my country again being the worlds cop both militarily and financially.
Tellie is offline   Reply
Old 01-03-2011, 10:31   #11
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Somali Coast - Stay Away

What is it with this irrational fear of going round the Cape.... its a lot safer than Suez right now and... unlike years back its not nessecary to cross the Atlantic twice.. our boats are more efficient, we have engines and when you look at what it costs to transit Suez... surely that'll be more than enough for any extra fuel costs for the Southern route...
No one has any guaranteed right to go anywhere without hinderance/aggravation/assault....
thats living in "Cloud Cuckoo Land".....

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply
Old 01-03-2011, 10:48   #12
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
What is it with this irrational fear of going round the Cape.... its a lot safer than Suez right now and... unlike years back its not nessecary to cross the Atlantic twice.. our boats are more efficient, we have engines and when you look at what it costs to transit Suez... surely that'll be more than enough for any extra fuel costs for the Southern route...
No one has any guaranteed right to go anywhere without hinderance/aggravation/assault....
thats living in "Cloud Cuckoo Land".....

Interesting point. There is a lot of irrational fear in sailing. Though I've never been round the Cape I'd be up for it. Wait, isn't that an area well known for Great Whites??? Fergitit. I've seen "Jaws" ...twice!
Tellie is offline   Reply
Old 01-03-2011, 10:58   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

the indian ocean has been a bad area since i was a young soul...looong ago--many decades. sailors are independent cusses..i doubt sailors can be TOLD anything.
the world is here to be sailed around.
if i were gonna do that for the sake of doing that, i would rather do weather than nasty people. i would have to go way south and wear warmies. and someone would have to pay me a LOT of money to go there. i realllly liked the caribean.
zeehag is offline   Reply
Old 01-03-2011, 11:12   #14

Boat: Maxum 37'

I sympathise with those who feel they have the right to free passage. In a civilized world they do. In the real world that right is enforced in countries whose societies don't believe as we do by force, or fear of consequences. We have removed that fear.

Until the world is once again a better place, (ironically the world was safest for individual travel during the "COLD WAR"). Our best bet is to not feed the beast. If everyone including both freighters, and yachts boycot that entire section of the world. Not only the pirates, but the surounding nations would soon feel the lack of dollars flowing into the region. It costs money to bribe thousands of fishermen to stand by looking for targets instead of fishing. Those motherships also use lots of gas. Once the "easy" profits from kidnapping are reduced they will have to go back to fishing for survival. Once ALL commerce in the area is reduced, the surrounding nations will have motivation to patrol their coastal waters.

I hear the Maldives are nice, it might be a good idea to go visit.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:28   #15

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I understand your sentiments. But does it always have to be the US? There are many other countries that can handle this. I for one would like to take a break from my country again being the worlds cop both militarily and financially.
No offense Tellie, but the last time I checked, that IS one of the Missions of the U.S. Navy.

Mission of the Navy

The mission of the Navy is to maintain, train and equip combat-ready Naval forces capable of winning wars, deterring aggression and maintaining freedom of the seas.

Khagan1227 is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: