Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2016, 09:34   #31

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Solo cruising vs crew cruising

Personally I find it very nice to have a boat with low freeboard... I'm always reaching over the side for something. I've often thought that something like the Pearson Vanguard or Tartan 34C seemed like a very good compromise in all dimensions and abilities for a singlehander. Mine is also good, though more a little space would be nice, but I wouldn't want to get so big it is a hassle to sail in to anchor or change sails alone. Don't overlook the classics from the 60s! There are some great boats in there; simple, strong and sail well. BTW while I enjoyed a little singlehanding when I was a young kid, I soon learned I preferred the company of someone who loves the sea, adventure and doesn't panic easily about things. They don't have to know how to sail, just be open to it. Fortunately! my wife, and now my daughter and son, are that brand of company. It is just a lot more fun when you see some amazing sight to share it, because otherwise you're standing there saying, "no one will ever believe this!"
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:37   #32

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
There's repeated references on this forum to a very good online book, too, name escapes me.
Probably this one: http://sfbaysss.net/resource/doc/Sin...irdEdition.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue Blues View Post
Lizzy I'm looking into the Ohlson not to be confused with an Olson.
Very little info online, sadly. Especially in Dutch / English.
Even sailboatdata.com got it wrong
Old 10-03-2016, 09:58   #33

Wouldn't mind falling for a girl with a love for the sea. Although my lady in the waves might not like it.
Deep Blue Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:04   #34

Quote:
Wouldn't mind falling for a girl with a love for the sea.
Haha!
Steep competition: if you want to know where there's a female solo sailor, just look for a bunch of male singlehanders anchored in a 'cluster'
Old 10-03-2016, 10:58   #35

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Juho I'm definitely interested in good wind vanes.
Just noting that in some weather patterns wind vane may not work properly (or when motoring when there is no wind), and you want to use an autopilot. They thus support each others. Some people have had a spare autopilot with them (a light weight tiller model that can be easily replaced).
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:09   #36

Belle you have to post a picture now.

Don I want a 40 ft or less, flush deck and a single mast. Got any 60s in mind? I like the old ones best. If they're still sailing they'll sail forever.
Deep Blue Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:35   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
In general almost any boat can be configured for single handed sailing. Not really an inherent function of the boat design but how things are set up. Like asking what vehicle is suitable for a handicapped driver. Answer, any vehicle by installing the proper equipment. Same for a sailboat. Install and setup up the proper equipment.

On a sailboat first and most essential will be some form of self steering. An electric autopilot is the most flexible and functional but some go for wind vane systems.

Then just have the proper winches, lead the sheets and other lines to the spot convenient for your method of sailing. So in other words, buy the boat you like/want/need and you set it up for single handing instead of trying to buy a boat made just for single handing.
Indeed.

Bulletproof self steering, and roller furling, are essential.

Radar and AIS to enhance watchkeeping. Radar guard zones and AIS alarms are essential, in my opinion, for a single hander.

A split rig (ketch) is very beneficial to a single hander.

Boat for a single hander should not be too small or too slow -- a very small boat will wear you out in rough weather, and risk of knock-downs and rolls is greater. It is true that the bigger the boat, the more and more things become beyond your strength, single handed, without mechanical aids. But that's why God made winches and roller furling, and balance that against the greater robustness and stability of larger boats.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:42   #38

Quote:
OK, I'll post ... remember: you have no one to blame but yourself for this!

Quote:
flush deck
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-162559.html

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DIZZYBELLE.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	120424  
Old 10-03-2016, 11:59   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Damn. Now I have to sell my boat .. (which stays on track nicely, unless horribly trimmed).
Anything can be done. The OP asked: "Are there particular designs for monohulls that make cruising the deep blue more reasonable with less crew or no crew?"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:00   #40

and now....... for the single most important feature of a boat for singlehanding..... wait for it...... an egg timer!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:33   #41

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
One of the reasons I share my boat with a feline
As long as she doesn't start talking back (and making more sense than you)
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:38   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Just don't get overcome by the romanticism of single-handing. Cruising in a sailboat is hard work -- and it's harder for one person. Even if you don't have a second permanent crewmember, consider picking up reliable crew along the way.

I used to think single handing was the thing real sailors strive for ... now that just seems silly.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 13:45   #43

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:

Don I want a 40 ft or less, flush deck and a single mast. Got any 60s in mind? I like the old ones best. If they're still sailing they'll sail forever.
Well, just about any boat from the 60s, as long as it has been well-maintained and/or refitted/updated. The hulls are still good and strong.
Flush deck? Hmm... I like the Columbia 40 but not flush deck, if you could find a Columbia 35 that could be nice, really rare, it's roomy and flush deck. There is one like mine, a Columbia 29, that was made in a flush deck version called the Defender, that I like too very much, though not sure if it has enough room for you. So, flush deck is a must? Just curious why. Personally, my own preferences have to do with strength and simplicity. For example if I were shopping for another boat I'd be looking for one like mine only a little bigger, like a Bounty II or Pearson Rhodes 41, long keel molded in, attached rudder, yawl or ketch would be nice, staysail too. I had a bad experience with a roller furling jib on a really windy day once that soured me on that. I'm probably the last boat in the harbor that still has a hank-on jib. However I could be swayed on that one, I understand there are some much better designs out now. You can get a much better sail shape with a hank-on though. Not a fan of CQR anchors after a bad experience with one of those too. (It only takes one bad experience for me to avoid something.) I would also avoid spade rudders on a cruising boat, skeg hung is good. I was on a big racing boat once that had the spade rudder fall off in the middle of the South China Sea so that left an impression. I also prefer not to have a bolt-on keel, but that is my own weird quirk, I am sure most are pretty stout. Now all that is JUST ME. I am sure you'll find many other perfectly valid opinions here who don't agree with me and a few who think I am crazy. BTW when you do go shopping, make sure the engine is in really good shape, because if it isn't, it is VERY expensive to get a new one. I learned THAT the hard way.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 13:58   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I used to think single handing was the thing real sailors strive for ...
So married sailors have divorce as their ultimate goal?

Seriously tho, if I ever fall for a landlubber who's willing to live on a boat and go cruising, I'd be more then fine with that.

Thing is, landlubbers usually aren't (been there, done that, doesn't work), and I don't want to go back to land, so I opted for single handing.

I rarely sail with crew unless short afternoon sails (or 'floats', to avoid heeling etc...) with landlubber friends. Sailing with male sailors usually means ending up with 2 captains on a boat, and that never ends well
Old 10-03-2016, 14:06   #45
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Solo cruising vs crew cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Just don't get overcome by the romanticism of single-handing. Cruising in a sailboat is hard work -- and it's harder for one person. Even if you don't have a second permanent crewmember, consider picking up reliable crew along the way.

I used to think single handing was the thing real sailors strive for ... now that just seems silly.
I would not say I strive for it.. its more a matter of preference when it happens..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, cruising