Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2016, 12:36   #76

Re: Solo cruising vs crew cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue Blues View Post
I think you're on to something. Smaller is certainly less work but perhaps a little less trust worthy in the rough? I'm torn between 26 - 37ft. How does one choose?!
depends on how fast you want to go and how comfortable you are with various size. To me 30-32 is a very nice size for one person. 36-37 fine also. Single handing my 44 was getting to be a real task in a blow... and the 47 very hard at times.
Bigger boat more speed and comfort at sea, also more work too though!
an example: on my 30 footer, pulling up the main was a couple big yanks and tighten the halyard. On my bigger boats you used the winch most the way, grinding and grinding.

Of course, an old school narrow 30-32 is entirely different feeling than a more modern wider boat, so that's a consideration too. I'm thinking more modern.. meaning in the last 40 years!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:42   #77

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
perhaps a little less trust worthy in the rough?
Hardly. Just a little less comfy.

FWIW: for a solo sailor, I think anything around 30-32' is close to ideal. If not so much cruising as living aboard during cold and wet winters, one size up (33-36') will keep away the cabin fever - which isn't much of a concern in warmer areas.

On edit:
I was seriously considering going one size up. Now the sun is shining and I've started cleaning the winter out of the boat. Hatches are open during the day - with dailight and sunshine back, I'm already reconsidering if I really want a bigger boat ...

(Also helps I've seen what friends with slightly bigger boats have to pay the marina ... All the invoices just came, that time of year again )
Old 11-03-2016, 13:00   #78

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolish View Post
Thanks for all your comments everyone. I'm glad that you are enjoying my free book. I really did write it as a way to learn more about singlehanding myself. I find that if I want to take a disciplined approach to learning, it is not enough to just do something; I have to do it with sufficient rigor to be able to write about it. (In case you are interested I wrote a sextant users guide several years ago. You can find it at: Astro Navigation: All you need to navigate by the Sun; Almanac, Sight Reduction Tables. )

Poppyduk: The issue you raise has been discussed over and over and over and over in dozens of sailing forums. The short answer is that yes, it is probably not quite legal, but we do it anyway. There has never been a case of a singlehander running into a ship where it was the ship that was damaged.
I specifically discuss this issue in the published version of my book. In particular I took a close look at Jessica Watson's running into a ship before she started her circumnavigation. The Australian Transportation Safety Bureau wrote a complete report on the incident. (http://atsb.gov.au/media/1539485/mo-2009-008.pdf)

I see from the ATSB website that there was another collision, this time with a doublehanded boat. You can read that report at: http://atsb.gov.au/media/5320233/mo2014006_final.pdf
In this case neither the boat nor the ship had maintained a lookout.
I had no idea you were the author Foolish its been my favourite book since it was recommended to me. Ill eagerly read the new edition and now i know its available in book form ill be purchasing that.

I dispute that its 'illegal' and I know what Dockhead would say that its being tollerated. I dont believe its as simple as that. Authorities can 'tollerate' infringing of all sorts of laws until there are then 'incidents', such as the Jessica Watson example. Then the authorities, do, as in Jessica's case look to see that the law is complied with.

Dockheads comments that all single handed vessels should have both radar and a.i.s is very sound and wise advice. AND, if there is an incident, the authorities will be looking to see that such equipment is turned on and being used.

Solo sailors are lawful everywhere 'as long as they are complying'. If a nation passes leglisation that prohibits solo sailing, thats when it will be 'unlawful' simply by its nature. As laws stand now, multihanded sailing can clearly be a breach of the law (and thus said to be a breach of the Colregs) but of course we dont hesr any discussion around that.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 13:08   #79

1975 Pearson 30
1975 Yankee 30
1977 Islander 36
1971 S&S Nautur Swan 38

Have you single-handed things for a long time Lizzy? I wonder where I'd be after a few years of just me.
Deep Blue Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 13:09   #80

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Hardly. Just a little less comfy.

FWIW: for a solo sailor, I think anything around 30-32' is close to ideal. If not so much cruising as living aboard during cold and wet winters, one size up (33-36') will keep away the cabin fever - which isn't much of a concern in warmer areas.

On edit:
I was seriously considering going one size up. Now the sun is shining and I've started cleaning the winter out of the boat. Hatches are open during the day - with dailight and sunshine back, I'm already reconsidering if I really want a bigger boat ...

(Also helps I've seen what friends with slightly bigger boats have to pay the marina ... All the invoices just came, that time of year again )
Mines a 36 footer and as i think you know im building up my solo experience as thats where im headed. My wifes not at all interested, but i was pleased to see she came and watched me splash after six months on the hard yesterday

Ive a number of times thought that mine is a touch too big, especially when i see somone continually coming and going on a 28 foot sloop. But, as others have guided me (from cruising forum), its more an issue of changing rig to make mine easier to sail.

I like the creature comforts of separate head/shower, tv, tanked water rather than bottle, 200ltr fuel rather than a 20ltr portable etc. and being able to carry a tender rather than towing and being able to have the room to carry a life raft too just in case.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 13:23   #81

Quote:
Have you single-handed things for a long time Lizzy?
Always ... my dad put me in a sailing dinghy when I was little, gave it a push and wished me luck, haha

Bought my first boat when I was 16 and since I never found a guy who was as "into boats" as I was (they enjoyed the occasional summer day sailing with me or motoring on our family boats, but that was pretty much it) so it's always been just me.

The only one who used to come sailing with me for weekends and vacations is my kid, especially when he was small (he kinda had to, haha, but he loved it). Now he's all but grown up and too busy usually, tho he does come for visits and stays on the boat with me.
Old 11-03-2016, 13:28   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I like the creature comforts of separate head/shower, tv, tanked water rather than bottle, 200ltr fuel rather than a 20ltr portable etc. and being able to carry a tender rather than towing and being able to have the room to carry a life raft too just in case.
I have creature comforts too! (Maybe this link works for pics?)
OK, not a shower - but I have a solar shower which is pretty nice in summer

On the bulkheads (now white) where you see some horrible DIY radio is now a flatscreen. Which does a fine job of collecting dust cos only my son uses it

Tanked water: check. Fuel tank: 40L, which equals 40 hrs at least (the smaller the boat, the less you need ), tender goes on deck (towing s*cks) ..
Boat came with a liferaft , but I tossed it. It goes on a whatever you call the storage thingy on deck.

But a shower I would like ... Tho I wouldn't use it in winter, boat gets damp enough as it is just cos I insist on breathing and cooking My dehumidifier usually runs 24/7 during fall/winter.
Old 11-03-2016, 13:39   #83

Lizzy Belle, I cant find your photos? I dont see the albums option on your profile.
HuntingWabbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 13:45   #84

I don't get it - I can see it, it's set to public and some members have commented on the pics .. yet others can't see the album?

Edit:

If I go to my public profile, I see the album:

And another edit:

Welcome to CF, HuntingWabbits
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2016-03-11 22:48:19.png
Views:	152
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	120512  
Old 11-03-2016, 13:50   #85

When I go to my profile I see the album menu for me,(Which is empty) but on your profile its not there and the links you give are dead.??
HuntingWabbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 13:54   #86

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Interestingly some of us will propose the long(-ish) keel is the better way. Others will state cruising is quite a hard work. Still others say that boat better be bigger. I started wondering if the three things collate.
I tend to think that different single handlers may have quite different weights on different criteria.

Safety: Many single handlers are interested of this. On the boat architecture this may mean e.g. strong keel, heavy keel, skeg and heavy structure (thick GRP, steel).

Speed and ability to sail upwind: Single handlers are often quite ok with any decent boat.

Comfortable ride: Single handlers do not need much space but they may want the boat to be bigger than their space requirements are to make it more stable. An alternative approach would be to keep the size small but buy a boat that is heavy and stable.

Ease of sailing: Single handlers typically want all lines to the cockpit and maybe furling sails.

Comfortable interior: Very personal choices here. Noting to do with single handling, except that single handlers are typically male, and men generally do not understand anything about cooking or feminine decorations. A bunk and mattress and large beer storage are usually enough.

Cost: Not much to do with single handling. You buy what you can afford. Some single handlers may buy and old full keel boat in order to save in wind vane or autopilot and electricity generation.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 13:55   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingWabbits View Post
When I go to my profile I see the album menu for me,(Which is empty) but on your profile its not there and the links you give are dead.??
I have no clue what's going on. Some people see it, others don't
I just clicked the panic button and asked the mods to help
Old 11-03-2016, 14:03   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
e.g. strong keel, heavy keel, skeg and heavy structure (thick GRP, steel).
In my case: keel stepped mast, rudder on skeg, no skimping on the plastic , deep cockpit (rarely hear that mentioned but I like it).

Quote:
Speed and ability to sail upwind: Single handlers are often quite ok with any decent boat.
Tho I don't mind LB doing fine upwind and being a reasonably fast boat

Quote:
except that single handlers are typically male, and men generally do not understand anything about cooking or feminine decorations. A bunk and mattress and large beer storage are usually enough.
Erhm
I wanted decent size berths / settees, and traded off the galley for that. The ships cat (indeed a female ) has long hair so she is in charge of the decorating
Old 11-03-2016, 14:14   #89

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
deep cockpit (rarely hear that mentioned but I like it).
That may be commonly accepted as a useful feature.

Quote:
Erhm
I wanted decent size berths / settees, and traded off the galley for that. The ships cat (indeed a female ) has long hair so she is in charge of the decorating
Ok, accepted. Felines are ok for females. Males usually leave their dogs and all unnecessary stuff out. I however support a good sizable galley and well planned good quality interior (even stylish accepted).
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 14:17   #90

I brought the cat cos a) I kinda like her, b) she protects her territory and takes care of rats etc. and c) people now assume I'm talking to her and not myself. Ha!

Yeah, I need just a few more ft for a better galley - 32' would have been *perfect*

Tags
crew, cruising