Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-03-2016, 11:07   #136

Re: Solo cruising vs crew cruising

On the subject of self steering, he had an "Aries" windvane and an electronic autopilot and they both failed on a solo to Hawaii.

Old 15-03-2016, 11:59   #137

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingWabbits View Post
On the subject of self steering, he had an "Aries" windvane and an electronic autopilot and they both failed on a solo to Hawaii.
And fixed the aries

Mine broke at the same place a few weeks ago & I fixed it using epoxy with dyneema strands to strengthen, probably stronger now.

Old 15-03-2016, 12:08   #138

Thanks for that Berkley tip. I'm a charter. Only ever sailed with GPS once. A hand held failed me in Prince William sound but my charting was so on point we still hit our Anchorage dead on after 19 hours of 30-60 knot winds. The weather broadcast failed us that day as well.

I don't trust technology much.

Rinsing the rigging and canopy with fresh water prolongs their lives? I have always thought the water alone caused rust. Not the salt in the water. That's a whole new set of concerns regarding peventing wear and tear.
Old 15-03-2016, 12:21   #139

In researching the wind vane technology, I've come to realize that they will roll a sailboat by not paying attention to wave direction and angle. Is there corrective technology out there that knows to turn into the wave if it's going to flip?

Back in the day on my little hobbie cat, when I was standing on its side flying side ways, all I had to do to right the boat was let go of the tiller. Is there anything out there that does that to a sailboat "automatically"?
Old 15-03-2016, 12:30   #140

Boat: Union 32 cutter.

Quote:
I'm using a Raymarine ST5000+, in wind vane mode. Works perfectly. Drives the boat better than I can hand steering, and has zero problem down wind or in light air.

The key is keeping the boat in balance, proper sail trim is important. I have chosen not to fit the boat with a windvane, and instead carry an extra drive unit for the autopilot.
Old 15-03-2016, 12:34   #141

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue Blues View Post
In researching the wind vane technology, I've come to realize that they will roll a sailboat by not paying attention to wave direction and angle. Is there corrective technology out there that knows to turn into the wave if it's going to flip?

Back in the day on my little hobbie cat, when I was standing on its side flying side ways, all I had to do to right the boat was let go of the tiller. Is there anything out there that does that to a sailboat "automatically"?
Letting go of the tiller works for the mono-hull as well, but if you are in conditions that might "flip" your boat, you probably aren't depending on the wind vane anymore anyway. There's no auto-pilot linked to radar that can foresee and respond to the waves ahead that I know of... not a bad idea though!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 12:41   #142

Radar won't see a wave. Unless it's depth gauge is foreseeable somehow.

It could be a device like a compass that turns to oppose the force thrusting the boat into a terminal angle. Or simply something to turn off autopilot and a wind vane. Letting the rudder correct the boat itself.

I've researched roll overs and most were on autopilot, at night. Thinking of cooking and resting down below getting caught off guard.

The risk makes me want to go sailing though. Forces me to trust in something more than myself...
Old 15-03-2016, 12:42   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV MAKAI View Post
I'm using a Raymarine ST5000+, in wind vane mode. Works perfectly. Drives the boat better than I can hand steering, and has zero problem down wind or in light air.

The key is keeping the boat in balance, proper sail trim is important. I have chosen not to fit the boat with a windvane, and instead carry an extra drive unit for the autopilot.
Thats good to know. honestly Im a couch sailor at this point, but my life experiences have taught me that Id sooner have a mechanical breakdown over electronic. at least with mechanical break downs I have the chance of jerry-rigging something together.
Old 15-03-2016, 12:52   #144

Boat: Union 32 cutter.

Quote:
Thats good to know. honestly Im a couch sailor at this point, but my life experiences have taught me that Id sooner have a mechanical breakdown over electronic. at least with mechanical break downs I have the chance of jerry-rigging something together.
Im a EE, so I dont trust electrical systems at all

If all else fails, a bungee lashed off to the rail will keep me going.
Old 15-03-2016, 13:35   #145

Jerry rigging for the win.
Old 15-03-2016, 16:10   #146

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
In that kind of a weather (and assuming that I'm not actively steering), I would probably not rely on any automated systems any more but on something like a (Jordan series) drogue or a sea anchor. I don't know how well those devices react to wind vs. wave direction (the key target then is to avoid the boat flipping over). Maybe someone else can tell more about that.
Old 15-03-2016, 19:02   #147
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
That's a sweet layout Barnakiel. Is that a Beanateu? I used to think those boats were crap back in the day. Now I'm not so sure, they look like the racing yachts in the Volvo Transatlantic.

Lizzy, are boats like these easily insurable?

How can you say navigation desks aren't useful? Are the electronics soooo reliable?
Layout: I do not know but I have seen this layout countless times on boats: Bavarias, Oceanis, even Ovnis. It is very common. I googled it up in 0.00036207 of a second and I got 2.345.699,99 hits. Level: easy. I have seen it also on some older British designs.

Re nav table - I am doing 99% of my navigation either with a gps in my pocket or else (0.9%) with my laptop on my lap. The remaining time I probably read a chart which is just as comfortable to do in my bunk or in the cockpit.

Off course I pilot with a paper chart in hand when required but then I simply take the chart to the cockpit - for when I pilot I must at the same time read and mark the chart and drive the boat. When it gets very iffy, I simply drive the boat while my mate gives me pilot info from the chart while seated next to me (or below decks - when it is very wet and rough). Think of a sports car and the driver - pilot (co-driver or navigator) - how much time does the pilot spend looking at the road ???? And yet, someone does. Similar in our boat (not yours, you go solo!)

If I were extreme enough to go solo, I would forego paper based navigation. This is not to say I would not have paper charts at hand or sail without a sextant. I was lucky enough to not only grow up sailing but also to get proper maritime education. Old trees, deep roots.

If I were offered another navigation job on a Maxi, I would be surprised to walk down below and not find a nav station there. Should you hear of such openings, pls drop me a pm.

PS Notice a nav table with charts and two computers and a pro navigator did not save one $$$ top racing circuit boat from ending high and dry on a danger known to every lame cruising sailor in the area. So definitely, safety and good seamanship is not in whether we have a nav table or not.

To sum it up: I understand when people chose to navigate at their desk, but this is not practical on our 26'er.

b.
Old 15-03-2016, 19:07   #148

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
PS Notice a nav table with charts and two computers and a pro navigator did not save one $$$ top racing circuit boat from ending high and dry on a danger known to every lame cruising sailor in the area.
Dutch people just can't navigate worth a damn.
Shame, really
Old 15-03-2016, 19:32   #149
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Dutch people just can't navigate worth a damn.
Shame, really
Yeah, Jedi and Janszoon the sole exceptions ;-)

Love,
b.
Old 15-03-2016, 19:35   #150

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Yeah, Jedi and Janszoon the sole exceptions ;-)
Jedi has the force ...

Tags
crew, cruising

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: