Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 23:35   #31

Boat: Outremer 5X
Re: Solid/Bluewater Center Cockpit with modern interior?

X-Yachts have a pretty clean modern interior look.
dan360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 23:41   #32

Boat: PETERSON 44
Able marine used to have a nice pilot house cutter. Not a true center cockpit but open with good use of white laminatte and cherry.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:08   #33

Boat: Newport 30 MkII

Does anyone know about Delphia Yachts? Saw their 46 deck salon/cc in a youtube video and it's beautiful. Maybe a little too Buck Rogers down below but I'm assuming it can be toned down. Looks similar to the Oyster 46 but for a fraction of the cost, apparently.

http://en.delphiayachts.eu/yacht/delphia-46cc
ColdCutterRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 13:13   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCutterRig
Hi Folks,

Long time lurker, first time poster with a question that's sure to rankle.

After over a decade of daysailing and doing short weekend cruises to nearby locations - CA Channel Islands mostly - on our Newport 30 MkII, we've decided to step things up with a larger boat that can handle guests comfortably and has the potential to make long passages in the relatively near future. I'm about four years away from an early retirement and would love to grow into a larger boat so that we can hit the ground (sea) running when I'm no longer office bound.

We've decided on a CC (and please, no arguments of CC vs. AC or recommendations of boats that are not CC monohulls) in the 41-46 foot range. One requirement is that the boat have decent passage berths - an attribute that is strangely hard to find. Another, and this is something that both the SO and I agree on, is a modern, sleek interior.

Contrary to prevailing taste, we tend to like the "european apartment style" look employed by Dehler and Hanse and have absolutely no issue if some of the interior work is done by machine. Unfortunately, the hull forms, relatively light displacement and cockpit orientation of these brands don't work for us. If we're going bluewater cruising, I'd prefer not to have a giant aft cockpit with dual wheels and a boat that bobs like a cork in a swell.

Can anyone recommend a CC boat in this size range that offers such an interior? This is an "all things being equal" type of question. It goes without saying that the boat needs to be seakindly and beefy. I'd prefer a sharper bow entry as opposed to the flatter bottoms we're seeing these days. It'd also be great to have the option for a cutter/dual headsail rig.

While I know that boats like Hylas are semi-custom, does that extend to the look/design of the interior fit out? Everything I see on the websites of makers like Hylas, Passport and even HR looks a bit too old fashioned for our tastes.

Also, both cost and sheer size come into play here. We'd like to keep the price below seven figures if possible and the size under 46. As someone who grew up sailing of and on, I'm stunned at how large cruising yachts have gotten. I'm neither a pauper nor an ocean racer but the fact that Hylas' smallest model is a 46 is pretty intimidating.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
CCR
I had the exact same dillemma. I hate teak and love european sleek. ) Accentuated by the fact that i plan to take my family on a long term cruise, so the interior look and feel was particularly important. After all it will be our home. And cool interior makes for a happy admiral.

The solution i found was to sign up with hylas on a 63 new build, but retain a third party interior designer specialized in boats to specifically do the interior thinking work. Hylas was fine with this. So in parallel with signing up with hylas, I ran a tender, where i invited only the boat interior design firms with awards, drawn from superyacht industry. The winner was hotlab out of milan. I am now working with them to define the interior in detail. We are sticking pretty close to hylas standard interior layout as basis because i dont want hylas to have to reinvent the bicycle on any of the systems that they do so well. But other than that it will look totally modern. Hotlab is doing materials selection with me, they will draw plans, axample pictures, and specs - then hand it over to hylas for cad work. But then i will have hotlab signing off on the cads, and may have them do some monitoring in taiwan during the build itself.

Pm me if u want more detail. What you want to do definitely can be done, and the incremental cost is relatively insignificant. U just need to make sure the design firm tender is robust - otherwise they will try to quote you a superyacht price level, which can be literally 10x higher then what u want to pay them

Greg
gkrasnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 13:39   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrasnov

I had the exact same dillemma. I hate teak and love european sleek. ) Accentuated by the fact that i plan to take my family on a long term cruise, so the interior look and feel was particularly important. After all it will be our home. And cool interior makes for a happy admiral.

The solution i found was to sign up with hylas on a 63 new build, but retain a third party interior designer specialized in boats to specifically do the interior thinking work. Hylas was fine with this. So in parallel with signing up with hylas, I ran a tender, where i invited only the boat interior design firms with awards, drawn from superyacht industry. The winner was hotlab out of milan. I am now working with them to define the interior in detail. We are sticking pretty close to hylas standard interior layout as basis because i dont want hylas to have to reinvent the bicycle on any of the systems that they do so well. But other than that it will look totally modern. Hotlab is doing materials selection with me, they will draw plans, axample pictures, and specs - then hand it over to hylas for cad work. But then i will have hotlab signing off on the cads, and may have them do some monitoring in taiwan during the build itself.

Pm me if u want more detail. What you want to do definitely can be done, and the incremental cost is relatively insignificant. U just need to make sure the design firm tender is robust - otherwise they will try to quote you a superyacht price level, which can be literally 10x higher then what u want to pay them

Greg
... Oh yeah for an out of the box solution, your only decent choices are the new beneteau line (interiors by nauta of italy) and the bordeaux 60. U can get interior pics on the internet. The latter in paticular is very nice interior. But neither of these can be classed as a proper heavy-duty cruiser.
Old 08-07-2012, 13:55   #36

Boat: Newport 30 MkII

@gkrasnov

Thanks for the suggestions. Gotta admit going with the hylas/3rd party interior designer sounds tempting but I'm sure it's gonna break our budget. Also, as noted, I'm looking for something at 46 feet max. The marinas and cruising grounds on the tentative itinerary are more accommodating to small to mid size boats.

Not really considering a beneteau or others of this type.

Someone on another board suggested I take a look at the Delphia 46 cc and after a few Internet searches I'm certainly interested in it.

But I may pm you just to get more details re how you put your hylas package together.
ColdCutterRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 14:22   #37

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Are you take a look at Norseman 447. some pics.
Or a super maramu 48?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3683631_20110801060306_3_LARGE.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	43176   Click image for larger version

Name:	3683631_20110801060417_2_LARGE.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	43177  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3683631_20110801060624_5_LARGE.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	43178   Click image for larger version

Name:	3683631_20110801061149_3_LARGE.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	43179  

neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 14:35   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCutterRig
@gkrasnov

Thanks for the suggestions. Gotta admit going with the hylas/3rd party interior designer sounds tempting but I'm sure it's gonna break our budget. Also, as noted, I'm looking for something at 46 feet max. The marinas and cruising grounds on the tentative itinerary are more accommodating to small to mid size boats.

Someone on another board suggested I take a look at the Delphia 46 cc and after a few Internet searches I'm certainly interested in it.

But I may pm you just to get more details re how you put your hylas package together.
It doesnt have to break the budget. the incremental costs are a. Materials and fittings - but then hylas will give u credit for all the teak, handles, interior woodwork etc, that would have otherwise been used, so your incremental additional cost will not be much if any at all, and b. The interior designer fees. Through the tender, and by making sure hylas still does the cad (the most eхpensive part) within their standard pricing, I got those down to low five-figures. So i see no reason why it can not be done with minimum deviation from standard budget even for a 40ish footer.

Delphia does good work, but they are not in the long-term cruising class. Their direct competition is beneteau-jeanneau-bavaria. U may want to take a look at the standard spec, and compare it to the renowned heavy cruisers like passport, hylas, oyster, hallberg rassy etc. Focus on things that are important for long term cruisers like tankage, genset, house bank capacity, cabin airflow, shorthanded rig control, etc. I have not been through that excercise with delphi specifically, but i lived in poland for a while, and seem to remember that delphi basically is a bunch of ex-jeanneau people. Anyway, feel free to drop me a note we can chat some more offline.
Old 08-07-2012, 14:43   #39

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCutterRig View Post
@gkrasnov

I have no experience of Delphia but every Australian review reveals that they are a very solid boat with robust, quality componentry at a very competitive price. Maybe that's a good place to start and with the sort of money your talking about your could change a few things around to suit yourself.
Old 08-07-2012, 20:21   #40

Boat: Bristol 38.8

"Decent passage berths" and "modern interior" tend to be mutually exclusive. If money were no object, I'd start with one of the new Southerly 420s and make sure there were lee cloths on the settees.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:45   #41

some interior images of Bordeaux 60... yes, it can be done...
Old 09-07-2012, 04:07   #42
cruiser

An Oyster 45 or 46 is what you've discribed. Go for it and don't look back or compromise. Oyster Marine in the UK has the world's best customer service.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:08   #43

I concur with the posters that mentioned Amel. They are bluewater cruisers and comfortable. The hard dodgers provide steering that is almost totally protected from the elements. Great aft cabin, built-in freezer, etc.
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:40   #44

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrasnov View Post

The saloon doesn't look very "bluewater" to me. Not a handhold in sight and a free standing chair in a mono?
Old 09-07-2012, 05:51   #45
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrasnov View Post

Personally that look and colour reminds me of the 1970's, G-Plan flat pack furniture (wood veneered MDF).....but nothing a can of white paint would not sort .

As always - a question of personal choice
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
center cockpit, cockpit, interior