Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2016, 06:11   #46

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: soldboats.com data for Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by duefocena View Post
Don't recall an actual " Pilot boat" of Colin Archer design to quote. With that said, I've seen a number of double ended hulls on pilot boat's.
Yes. But it is just me and you then on this thread who have not seen Colin Archer pilot boats. Some posters have seen Colin Archer designed W32, pilot boats, and who knows perhaps even Ferraris.

;-)

Frankly though, I grew as a sailor on Swedish West Coast and I have seen actual Colin Archer designs close up and personal. I have seen Colin Archer rescue boats as correctly discussed above.

It is also correct to think of a W32 as a CA derived design - thru Atkin's designs and later plasticized by Crealock.

But, oh, eh, double-ended FERRARIS???? Well well well: I think maybe a Speakhuger, more likely a Kaskelot, definitely an IC, I think.

It is funny Norther Americans will apply any significance to remote and natural, but not truly flattering relationship of their own designs to things European. Perhaps then they sell better.

Nordic gods have their followers here too ... just we do not call them believers anymore. Here, we are fans.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 18:29   #47

Boat: Westsail 32

I promised an update if and when the sale happened, and it did. Papers are still in process, but I own it. Now I need to learn it inside out. It passed the survey and the mechanical and rigging inspections with high marks. There are lots of little things that need attending to (and a couple not-so-little, like bottom and topsides paint), but overall the hull, rigging, and engine appear sound and in excellent shape for their respective ages.

She is currently located in La Paz, BCS. I'll be changing her name, but the previous owners named her Miskatonic (in case anyone here happens to know the boat). Before that she was Elena. I was fortunate enough to visit with the previous owners once removed (i.e., the ones before the previous owners), and got a lot of information about her, including info about her original owner.

She gets hauled this week for painting, but I'm hoping to be living aboard and starting a lot of projects by mid-April.

If anyone feels like throwing suggestions at me for hull paint that would be durable and cost-effective in the Sea of Cortez, I'm all ears! Thank you again for your information and encouragement. Kinda can't believe I made it this far
bricoleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 17:06   #48

Awlgrip is a very good paint. We have a boat painted back around 1996 and she looks new. Recommended.

Can you maybe tell us the relationship of the asking vs. what you paid for her? This question of how much % to offer often comes up on the forum. Might help other buyers.

b.
Old 19-03-2016, 14:34   #49

Boat: Westsail 32

Thanks for the rec, barnakiel!

Re what I offered and what I paid, I think I'll keep the actual figure I paid to myself, to forestall a deluge of "you paid what?" posts

But I will say that my initial offer was a little over 70% of asking. I'd have been very happy to get it for that but, of course, didn't really expect to. Wound up having to come up a bit, still well under the asking price. The surveyor put together a list of comparables (some actual sales; some, less helpfully, just asking prices). Based on that and his findings about the boat itself, I'm satisfied that my final offer was a fair price and in line with the market. Not a steal, but I love the boat. I probably could have waited a couple more months before making the offer and shaved off a bit more, but I was ready to buy. Life only contains so much sailing time.

I'm not sure that's really helpful information, though. The market for every make and model of boat is different, the more so as you get into older boats. (Yes, I've learned a lot about it in the last six months.) And also, each boat has its own scenario, of owners, storage fees, marital woes, health issues, etc., and you have to learn what you can about that and take it into account as well. Not to mention the buyer's situation: Can you wait for a bargain? Do you need financing? Do you need a turnkey boat? Etc. In other words, every buyer+seller+boat is a different story, and just because I offered n% on this one and it worked for me doesn't mean someone else wouldn't be better advised to offer n/2%, or $1k off asking price, or...
bricoleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 16:49   #50

Fantastic! THX for the update.

I think every bit of price / buying / haggling data helps: we tend to be very shy about how much we offered or paid but I do believe that this info helps future buyers - we are always better off when we know more about how others did!

Cheers,
b.

Tags
sail