Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2016, 08:33   #16

Boat: Baba 40
Re: soldboats.com data for Westsail 32

Bri- check out Worldcruiser.com or Westsail.com for some other Westies on the market. I've got one (1975) that suits my needs, but everyone has their own idea of what their boat should be/do. There's a fairly active association and parts are readily available from the above sites (he's the former production manager for the company).
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:34   #17

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

Had a Westie 32' in Hawaii in the early 80's and paid $39k US for her. Sailed Hawaii/ South Pacific 2 years without a hitch. Sold her for $40k. Looked at one in Wilmington CA a few months ago for $4,750 and turned it down. Termites had gotten into the ply in the decks and everywhere else. My point is that soldboats.com will take into account the prices but not the condition nor trade options. Any broker worth his salt will offer you a number of surveyors and you make a choice as to who does the survey. My advice is to interview more than one and be clear as to what you are looking for. Ask if he does more sailboats or power boats and get a list of the past 5 boats he's done Ask if they have surveyed a Westsail 32' before and see if he will let you talk to that owner ( It doesn't hurt to ask ).Ask if he accesses the sails? Let the surveyor assure you of an honest appraisal. Don't be intimidated, these people work for you and can be instrumental in you making the right move. Few boat buyers ask questions prior to the survey. Don't be THAT GUY ! Here in Southern Cal a good Westsail 32' sells for , between, $30k and $50k. Most here are factory finished as they were built here. Make sure the surveyor does plenty of sailboats.
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:13   #18

Boat: Looking...

As a former Westsail 32 owner and long distance cruiser, I'd be interested in any info you'd care to share. Not in the market for one at this stage of my life, but having owned one for many years and knowing some potential issues, I would like to see photos etc. so I might be able to share possible insights into these great boats.

westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:15   #19

Can anyone direct me to how to get the Soldboats.com data? All I get is a sign-in page. Thanks In Advance
boatbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:23   #20

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Just to add to your confusion, this Westsail 32 in Maryland just sold on ebay for $7,200 USD:

1976 Westsail 32 | eBay

FWIW, the Westsail 32 looks like a great choice if you intend to do some bluewater sailing.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:24   #21

Boat: Lagoon 39

Soldboats.com is a subscription service made available by Yachtworld.com only to boat brokers.
faa50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:53   #22

I was going to mention the boat on eBay - there was one just about a week before that in Slidell Louisiana - but I don't know what it went for.

Somewhere in that ballpark most likely.
boatbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:16   #23

Fwiw. a fair condition old Wetsnail 32 actually sells for around $28k. If its in brand new condition then around $48k(assumes factory completed, new engine, etc. Most of the ones we see are well beat up. Good hull but a lot of them were sold as kits for home completion. Problems we have encountered are 1. bad hull/deck connections, 2. gutted insides(water damages), and 3. bad fuel tanks(good luck). Would avoid the kit boats entirely.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 13:37   #24

Boat: Shannon 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricoleur View Post
Hi, Cruisers Forum, new poster here. I've been lurking for a few months and learning a lot (still an awful lot to learn). I've benefited greatly, and I especially appreciate the congeniality of all the contributors.

In my usual impetuous manner, I've just made an offer on a Westsail 32, only to find out that same evening about this thing called soldboats.com and the trove of comparable sales locked therein. Of course, now I'm beating myself up about that, but maybe it's not too late. My gut tells me that my offer isn't wayy over the line, but then, I'm new to the game and I could be very wrong. At this point, I'm looking around the table and not seeing the sucker, and we know what that means, at least in a poker game. (To be clear, I want only to pay a fair price for the boat, I'm not shooting for a rock-bottom bargain. I'd like to walk away from a win-win scenario.)

In my location, there is only one broker. Obviously, I can go back to this broker (the selling broker) and ask to see the comps, and I will, but I would like to get the data, as well as maybe a bit of analysis based on experience, from an impartial source as well. So my question is, would a broker (or a surveyor who had a soldboats account) be willing to sell me just that info and advice, even if I weren't a buying client? Or is there a better way that I'm not thinking of?
I never heard of soldboats until I saw your post and when I got there they asked for my user name nd password. How do you get to see what they have
Joyful Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 14:12   #25

Boat: Scout 30

A lot of great advice here. We've got 2 in our neighborhood. One looks like a Hans Christian, just beautiful, & the other one looks home made & really tired. If you've found a good quality example in good condition & at a fair price you're on the right track. Keep us posted on how this turns out.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 18:52   #26

Boat: Westsail 32

Thanks again everyone for the advice. My second offer was accepted. I may never know if I paid too much or got a bargain, but it's the boat I want and a few years from now, if I regret leaving my old life to take up cruising, I'm pretty sure a couple of thousand overspent on the initial price of the boat won't be a major factor in that. That, and thanks to the experience and knowledge you've shared, I'm pretty confident that I'm not out of the ballpark. Assuming nothing major rears its head during the survey or the sea trial, I'll be joining the ranks of Westsail owners. And then I'll have LOTS more questions.

Once I've taken possession and got her cleaned up, I'll post pictures and back story (still slightly paranoid that something will happen in the meantime). In the meantime, please--bring on your best Westsail stories
bricoleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 19:27   #27

Boat: Baba 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricoleur View Post
Thanks again everyone for the advice. My second offer was accepted. I may never know if I paid too much or got a bargain, but it's the boat I want and a few years from now, if I regret leaving my old life to take up cruising, I'm pretty sure a couple of thousand overspent on the initial price of the boat won't be a major factor in that. That, and thanks to the experience and knowledge you've shared, I'm pretty confident that I'm not out of the ballpark. Assuming nothing major rears its head during the survey or the sea trial, I'll be joining the ranks of Westsail owners. And then I'll have LOTS more questions.

Once I've taken possession and got her cleaned up, I'll post pictures and back story (still slightly paranoid that something will happen in the meantime). In the meantime, please--bring on your best Westsail stories
Bri-,

Congratulations on the boat! Assuming everything goes well, feel free to drop me a note and I'll point you in the right direction for support.

Pat
Shaboom (W32 #427)
sailshaboom at gmail
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 21:31   #28

Hi Pat. Hope everything's going OK for you.

Joe Kovacs
SV Sea Breeze
Savannah GA
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 19:40   #29

Just a quick update: Again, thanks for all the good information and the encouragement. The boat is currently waiting on a couple of parts before it can be put in the water for the sea trial, but everything looks good so far, no red flags. Will post back later with pics and more details if it all goes through like it should. Hoping to join the Westsail owners association soon!
bricoleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 21:24   #30

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I hope everything checks out on your Westsail 32. I owned one for five years, and I loved it. Awesome blue water cruiser for a downwind sailing adventure around the world.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail