Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 16:35   #16

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa
If you like them you'll take them down.......if they're insured and not working so well .. ahh leave em up!

GOOD LUCK UP THERE YOU GUYS!!!!! EARL IS A MONSTER!

Some good news though.. on the latest satellite image you can see the storm actually turning pretty quick out to sea....don't start dancing yet... but it is turning.

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/HURRLOOPS/atwv.html
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 16:50   #17

Boat: PETERSON 44
turn baby turn. I really hate this part of the forecast. Im looking for it will turn because there is a massive front bigger then anything you could imagine instead ....
.LONG TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH TUESDAY/...
THURSDAY EARL WILL CONTINUE TO MAKE ITS TURN TO THE NORTH...THEN TO
THE NORTHEAST THU NIGHT. THE REASON FOR THIS TURN IS MAINLY DUE TO
SW WINDS IN THE MIDDLE LEVELS OF THE TROPOSPHERE INCREASING AS LOW
PRESSURE DEVELOPS OVER THE GREAT LAKES LATE THU AND THU NIGHT. THOSE
SW WINDS WILL PUSH EARL AND CAUSE THE TURN. Turn Earl turn
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 17:36   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
There are always tough choices to be made when managing risk. I try to remove windage, but I have left my solar panels up for a couple of 85mph events. They were fine, but there is always risk.

As the post drifted to this question about moving boats out of marinas, I feel compelled to coment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
Gotta say I'm surprised you're being allowed to stay in the slip. Across the river over here in Beaufort, and everywhere I've been in FL, (I don't normally stay in marinas so this is limited data) marina owners make one sign papers guaranteeing you'll get the boat out of the marina in the path of a storm..................
Good luck to us all!
Though I've seen this regulation within the contract at some (far from all) Florida marinas, it is largely disregarded. It may be thought to lesson the liabilty of a marina, but it's impossible to press owners to take their boats out on the water during an impending hurricane. More commonly, now, Florida marinas are requiring slip holders to have 300K to 500K liability policies with the marina listed to receive the claim. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 18:20   #19

Boat: Jefferson Motoryacht 45' Whatever!
solar panels and Hurricane Earl

We are at a marina in SW Fl and we are required to move our boat out of our slip for any hurricane. We have floating docks here and we understand that during Wilma, before us and before the mandatory removal, the surge had the docks to the very top of the pilings. Yes they are wanting to minimize damage to their property. We will be icked up for greater than a 1,$500 need to or not, but thats cheap insurance in our opinion! Good luck to those in the path of Earl this week, Fiona next week, and maybe Gaston the following week. Its gonna be a long month!!!
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 19:32   #20

Boat: Beneteau First 38
Strip It

Any warning or leaving the boat during hurricane season, my darling gets stripped and tied off.

I have 2X 150 watt panels on the bimini normally, it all comes off.

Makes me feel better and the yachts beside me.

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3899.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	469.0 KB
ID:	18873  
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 19:36   #21

Boat: O'Day 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Though I've seen this regulation within the contract at some (far from all) Florida marinas, it is largely disregarded... it's impossible to press owners to take their boats out on the water during an impending hurricane. More commonly, now, Florida marinas are requiring slip holders to have 300K to 500K liability policies with the marina listed to receive the claim.
Your comment to the effect that the regulation is "largely disregarded" sounds like a gross generalization with no possible way to back it up. I think it's incredibly bad advice to readers. We've been on H watch all day here with sunny skies and 0-5kt winds. I've moved 7 boats today to be hauled out. Not a lot of disregard evident.

And then there's the thing about signing the contract.

I don't mind getting older. I'm not a fan of the way a lot of folks think these days.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 20:42   #22

Boat: PETERSON 44
could you expand on how a lot of folk are thinking these days or was that meant to be general. Not to be controversial. Im thinking a lot more folk are worried about being backed up by allstate and reading fine print. I remember a day when you could put a over styled euro car on the road. If it meant something to you you would insure it. I didn't have to get in the mix. Now we are so worried about your fancy thing bouncing around I have to insure myself in case I bust up that overpriced goo hiscket. Lets get it out what are you saying?. My perspective is edgy. Thats the biggest problem I see how folk are thinking is they all want to be right in so many ways and if they aren't they are admonished. so in your blanket statement lets here how alot of folk are thinkin. I think we could listen and hear your points without getting knocked by a moderator.
What are we we thinking?
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:37   #23

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
So my two stage hurricane prep went well. Left the panels up on Sunday when I left because I had been visiting with a friend with a 1 and 3 year old, staying up late with their Mom visiting, we've been friends since kindergarten. We were staying on the Outer Banks...was watching Earl the whole time.

Plan was to go prep boat on my own on the way back. Chris has had busiest week of work this past week...the kind of week that the company takes a month to prep for. He worked all last weekend, had 1 a.m. finishes at night to wake up at ungodly hours in the morning to start all over...

SO, that is why I decided to come home, sign papers on the new to us boat we bought, go to a difficult to schedule again doctor's appt., keep my eye on Earl and decide to go down again to do the rest of the prep.

So basically I diligently prepped over a three day period with my marina supplied checklist in hand. Decided to leave the panels up after getting the o.k. from the dockmaster. Yes, we are taking a slight chance, but these panels are bolted on like steel.

It was amazing to me to watch how some people spent time like me diligently prepping, and then others didn't even show up. Some showed up for thirty minutes and exclaimed, 'Well they will be here to watch the boat", meaning the dockmasters, and then went on their merry way with their main still on but lashed down...of course after being through seven of the beasts they have a different experience than newbie me.

Note to self: when impending hurricane doom potential do not decide to pull all night social events complete with co-parenting babies ;0)
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:41   #24

The point of my babbeling is to exclaim, yes, I am damn tired despite this is only one boat I prepped...but it is nice to know I can flake the main and genoa by myself, even if it is ugly ;0)
Old 02-09-2010, 13:13   #25

P.S. Who knew part of the prep would be removing the immense amount of carbonated water I had stashed in numerous places and had forgotten about...good chance if the hurricane doesn't cause water in the bilge, the soda water would have...
Old 02-09-2010, 16:09   #26

Boat: O'Day 28
HH- I love it that you took this seriously. The poster who said strip the boat is the real expert. That's the best advice. I'm very impressed with you being down on the boat by yourself gettin' the job done.

7:00 pm Just cruised downtown "historic" Beaufort (that's Bofort, NC for west coast readers). Windows are boarded. Tourists are gone. Bars are closed. Downtown. I can say with certainty that Airport Marina and the Handlebar are open and busy. There's a boat or two in slips looking lost and forlorn. Plain forgotten is probably more true. And there are the dozen or so boats moored in Taylor's Creek. And Town Creek as well. It appeared to me that there were several boats with crew aboard, and I suppose they'll ride it out.

Spit should be hitting the fan in another couple of hours. Gotta go, someone's offering me a beer!
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 16:30   #27

Thanks tgzzzz! You are taunting me being down in Beaufort having a beer. No fair! Kind of wished I was there. I have a curiosity regarding hurricanes and would like to experience one. Hating it that our boat is, without us.

Have friends down in Beaufort who are cracking open the champagne and having Hurricane parties because after living through them on a boat, this is all just old hat.

Have fun, stay safe! Wished we were there!
Old 03-09-2010, 08:44   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Heels View Post
... Have friends down in Beaufort who are cracking open the champagne and having Hurricane parties because after living through them on a boat, this is all just old hat ...
I wouldn’t trust the judgement of anyone who suggests that there’s anything “old hat” about living through a hurricane aboard a boat.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:52   #29

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
I have to agree Gord, after 15 named storms living aboard I have never had cause for celebration until after the storm was gone and the boat survived. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:58   #30

The 'old hats' live in a house now...I do know that hurricanes are nothing to fool around with and I really don't plan on weathering one unless I have some ruby slippers that are the real deal...

Thanks Earl for sparing our boat, and hey, I learned a few new things in the process...