Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2011, 14:14   #16

Re: Solar Panel Industry in Collapse

A hundred watt panel for hundred bucks seems like a good tipping point to make the solar industry take off. Me I've already started using it on my house after seeing how well it worked on my boat. But, I did not bother to go through the hoops the government and utilities want in order to get the tax breaks. Just doing it myself a little bit at a time much cheaper and less hassle IMO.

Old 27-11-2011, 14:24   #17
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Don't you just love when government gets involved in building demand, and then when times change, they are instrumental in destroying that same demand?
Shades of ethanol, the first time around. My company picked up 2 plants for 5c on the dollar and converted them to waste recycling. Most went for scrap metal.

The natureal result of being PC rather than annalytical.
Old 27-11-2011, 14:25   #18

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:

The biggest concern the industry has is that the tax-funded incentives are dissipating, and that solar now needs to start competing in the real world.
Hopefully then, prices will come down.
I know when the Australian Govt. had a scheme in place for subsidised roof insulation, actual prices for went through the roof, though the recipients of the scheme didn't care as they got it free.
Old 27-11-2011, 14:29   #19

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
The biggest concern the industry has is that the tax-funded incentives are dissipating, and that solar now needs to start competing in the real world.

And they never should have been given to start with.

Artificial markets never serve people well.
Old 27-11-2011, 14:47   #20

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

I am waiting for the Nantenna solar cell which will be > 90% efficient.

Nantenna to Improve Solar Capture Threefold - Domestic Fuel
Mizzou Professor says nantenna solar sheet soaks up 90 percent of the sun's rays, puts sunscreen to shame -- Engadget

When this happens will be like going from incandescent bulbs to LED all at once. I refuse to buy any solar cells yet, too much cost not enough pay back.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 15:12   #21

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
I am waiting for the Nantenna solar cell which will be > 90% efficient.

Nantenna to Improve Solar Capture Threefold - Domestic Fuel
Mizzou Professor says nantenna solar sheet soaks up 90 percent of the sun's rays, puts sunscreen to shame -- Engadget

When this happens will be like going from incandescent bulbs to LED all at once. I refuse to buy any solar cells yet, too much cost not enough pay back.

I read the comments and some links (before it turned into a global warming argument) and it may not be what the "headline says" I like the attachment a little way down.
Old 29-11-2011, 12:58   #22

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

The manufacturing costs of solar cells are still energy intensive, It requires layers of ultrapure silicon, and some very enviromentally unfriendly chemicals to make it work, and thousands of gallons of ultrapure water. Still as computer chips have proven, the cost to manufacture silicon goes down very quickly with time. Perhaps if the oil companies handn't bought up the major solar cell companies???

Still just as electric cars, the cost to manufacture are actually less than a gas driven car, but the retail price is almost double. The green premium is outrageous.

I hope that the media hype over "green" solar energy dies, maybe then I can afford to buy some to offset energy cost of my house, ....or my boat.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 13:16   #23
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

The problem with having ones own power plant in the home is the educational curve it takes to understand and maintain it. Even if solar panels come down 50% in price and double the output per cell, the vast majority of people just won't be interested in learning what it takes to manage and serivce them. It's still far to easy to walk into their house and flip a .33 cent SP switch, the A/C comes alive and everything works. Start talking battery banks, chargers, Inverters, etc. and eyes glaze over. Most people aren't cruisers that have a decent working knowledge of these things. But if I am wrong, the service industry for these would be perhaps the next great opportunity.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 14:52   #24
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Wharram Tiki 30 Abaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
And they never should have been given to start with.

Artificial markets never serve people well.
And what kind of artificial market do we have for a petro based economy? How about tax credits and incentives and oh yeah,that's right the power of the US military to police and protect our oil interests? A petroleum based economy WILL not be sustainable.How many solar panels can you buy for the cost of one cruise missle. or one B2 bomber. or one aircraft carrier. There is simple math involved. And then their is the enviromental cost of the petro biz. Does anyone really think that oil is going to get easierto extract from the earth? There is a finite supply versus an exponentialy growing demand. How long do we want the oil companies and the Arabs to dangle us by the short and curlies???

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boatsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 15:38   #25
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I dont think its in collapse mainly that US and European makers cant now compete with the volumes from China, as in "our solar panel industry is in collapse".

Dave
Old 29-11-2011, 15:40   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsmith View Post
And what kind of artificial market do we have for a petro based economy? How about tax credits and incentives and oh yeah,that's right the power of the US military to police and protect our oil interests? A petroleum based economy WILL not be sustainable.How many solar panels can you buy for the cost of one cruise missle. or one B2 bomber. or one aircraft carrier. There is simple math involved. And then their is the enviromental cost of the petro biz. Does anyone really think that oil is going to get easierto extract from the earth? There is a finite supply versus an exponentialy growing demand. How long do we want the oil companies and the Arabs to dangle us by the short and curlies???
Like throughout Man's history. He who has the gold rules. When the oil starts running out and/or becomes more and more expensive other forms will be more cost effective. The ones with the other forms will have the gold then. Some of course will be relatives of those with gold now.

Nothing new in the present that hasn't happened in the past.
Old 29-11-2011, 15:44   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Like throughout Man's history. He who has the gold rules.
Looks like China rules...
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 15:46   #28

Totally agree with boatsmith ... besides Germany and Switzerland decided to get off nuke power. I guess other countries will follow. Further if the panels are getting cheap enough, a lot of ppl will start to produce their own electric power. That will have a slingshot effect on the whole PV industry which will most likely be chinese - european and US companies unfort. missed the boat (or were they just too dumb ?).
Zonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 16:29   #29
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonker View Post
Totally agree with boatsmith ... besides Germany and Switzerland decided to get off nuke power.
Dunno about Switzerland, but Germany is simply replacing there Nuclear Power - by plugging even more into the French Grid. Largely powered by Nukes And I recall that they are even building a new Nuke plant just over the border..........

UK has been using French power for many years (and lights would go out if cut off) - here in Jersey it is our sole source of electric (the old oil Powder Station is kept as a backup). UK still going Nuclear (I will beleive it when I see it........fortunately the idea is that stations get built by the French , Anglos not so good at managing complicated stuff

What all that means is that France has a healthy Nuke power industry - including lots of long term and skilled jobs within France. I call that sustainable

The problem with oil is that Countries get addicted to the tax revenue. and it's an easy one to collect / hard to evade......and dealing with the vested interests in the Status Quo will be a political challenge - but well doable
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 16:51   #30

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Oh No! Now I'm just going have to work harder on the genny.

Tags
solar