Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-08-2010, 07:32   #46

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Send a message via Skype™ to shipofools
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
If you're limiting your cruise to the USA east coast, and your home port is Georgia, you should not have to trailer the boat home.

Sail it home. Sailing the boat one way and then dragging it home via the highway will earn you zero style points. You might as well do the Appalachia Trail in a golf cart, or ride the Tour de France on a moped.

Sailing. We do it with sails.
who cares about style when we factor in safety.

ie - you got 24 hours to get out of dodge. all the marinas are overloaded pulling boats for customers that pay mucho $$$s. if you got a trailer, use it. no style points are lost. plus my boat screams style on the trailers, everyone thinks it is a helicopter or a plane.

:-)

Old 19-08-2010, 07:34   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipofools View Post
who cares about style when we factor in safety.

ie - you got 24 hours to get out of dodge. all the marinas are overloaded pulling boats for customers that pay mucho $$$s. if you got a trailer, use it. no style points are lost. plus my boat screams style on the trailers, everyone thinks it is a helicopter or a plane.

:-)
Great points. Is the boat you're talking about the Corsair 31 listed on your profile?

Have you taken it across the Gulf Stream?

Old 19-08-2010, 07:36   #48

Just looked the Corsair 31...way out of my budget...any other suggestions of similar, but cheaper boats with these kind of features.
Old 19-08-2010, 07:39   #49

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Send a message via Skype™ to shipofools
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHiker View Post
Just looked the Corsair 31...way out of my budget...any other suggestions of similar, but cheaper boats with these kind of features.
Check the 27s or 24s. especially if you are into minimalist.
Old 19-08-2010, 07:49   #50

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Here's what you need. And they go to the Bahamas regularly.

Little Cruiser
Old 19-08-2010, 07:59   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
SouthernHiker, I must suggest some things that have not been stated above regarding cruising the East Coast US from Maine to the Bahamas and maintaining your bottom paint with little cost. We have been livingaboard and cruising this area with little cost since 1972. Our home port is just south of you in the Jacksonville, Florida area. At numerous times we have taken our boat to the inside of one of the sandy barrier islands that line the coast and careened. We carefully scout a location that has a steep sandy bank free of rock or debris and tie and chor to shore at high tide. We clean as the tide drops and paint before it rises,- usually with Petit's Trinidad 75. We turn at the high tide and complete the other side. This process very well supports a vessel with a full keel and fairly shallow draft with the keel contiguous with the rudder. We usually angle the bow slightly more to shore so the rudder is not actually touching anything. This underwater configuration also means we cruise without risks of fouling crab and lobster pot lines and our keel presents a gentle profile that will strike any obstacle at a forgiving oblique angle when underway. Careening is not a lost art among many "old salts". We also have cruised as long as four years without a bottom painting. These spans of time are achieved with several facors including: Movement- cruising boats move to areas that vary in the tolerance of the organisms that grow on the hull and predators that will eat them Cleaning- we will swim about and scrub our bottom three or four times a year.

We still will find DIY yards that allow us to change cutlass bearings or do other work that requires being hualed out. A couple of the best of these are in Deltaville, Virginia and Tiusville, Florida. In addition, Edwins Boat Yard at Man-O-War in the Abacos has great prices for their haul outs and labor.

I would agree with those above who would not accept the trailerable boat, but something with a little more sea forgiving quality. We are "cockpit Potatos" that cruise in predicted good weather and continue to enjoy. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 19-08-2010, 09:57   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
SouthernHiker, I must suggest some things that have not been stated above regarding cruising the East Coast US from Maine to the Bahamas and maintaining your bottom paint with little cost. We have been livingaboard and cruising this area with little cost since 1972. Our home port is just south of you in the Jacksonville, Florida area. At numerous times we have taken our boat to the inside of one of the sandy barrier islands that line the coast and careened. We carefully scout a location that has a steep sandy bank free of rock or debris and tie and chor to shore at high tide. We clean as the tide drops and paint before it rises,- usually with Petit's Trinidad 75. We turn at the high tide and complete the other side. This process very well supports a vessel with a full keel and fairly shallow draft with the keel contiguous with the rudder. We usually angle the bow slightly more to shore so the rudder is not actually touching anything. This underwater configuration also means we cruise without risks of fouling crab and lobster pot lines and our keel presents a gentle profile that will strike any obstacle at a forgiving oblique angle when underway. Careening is not a lost art among many "old salts". We also have cruised as long as four years without a bottom painting. These spans of time are achieved with several facors including: Movement- cruising boats move to areas that vary in the tolerance of the organisms that grow on the hull and predators that will eat them Cleaning- we will swim about and scrub our bottom three or four times a year.

We still will find DIY yards that allow us to change cutlass bearings or do other work that requires being hualed out. A couple of the best of these are in Deltaville, Virginia and Tiusville, Florida. In addition, Edwins Boat Yard at Man-O-War in the Abacos has great prices for their haul outs and labor.

I would agree with those above who would not accept the trailerable boat, but something with a little more sea forgiving quality. We are "cockpit Potatos" that cruise in predicted good weather and continue to enjoy. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
I've got to say, I would love to see this careening and painting process. Not sure I'm bold enough for it, as I'm imagining I'd bash whatever boat I have right into land, but if I thought I could pull it off, I'd certainly give it a go.

I'm hoping that if I plan to move enough, and sail up into freshwater every now and then I could go two years, then maybe haul her out and sale her (assuming I don't go with a trailer option, which is seeming more likely that I won't be).
Old 19-08-2010, 10:15   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipofools View Post
Check the 27s or 24s. especially if you are into minimalist.
1992 Corsair F-24 Mk-1 #5 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I like the look of this Corsair 24, but may have to keep looking for a 27.

Wife and I'd be more than happy sleeping/living somewhere like this, but I would want to add a stove and head to my list of requirements.
Old 19-08-2010, 21:05   #54

Quote:
Drew,

I think Gord was appropriate in stating "first choice", but a trailerable boat is definitely an option. Having lived on a trailerable boat for 2 years now, and sailed the locations in question, it is totally realistic, and actually most cruisers I meet are amazed at our setup and flexibility.

Best feature of a trailerable boat is the ability to go 55 to 65 mph upwind, especially when outrunning a hurricane.
No argument from me, except that when we say "trailerable" we are usually talking about boats that are set up for weekend use and not a whole lot more. Glad to see this discussion moving forward after me head hit the pillow!
Old 19-08-2010, 21:08   #55

Beaching a swing and/or fin keel to paint her is not going to work. Spend the 200 we talked about and haul her.....
Old 19-08-2010, 21:25   #56

Boat: Columbia 41
Half the battle is just showing up. Unless you have some preaty strong ties to the crew you may find it very hard to get two or three people to go with you. It's nothing to do with you or your boat. People say they will come and promise to your face. But when it comes time shove off, they will claim any numbr of excuses not to go. I do not know the answer to that. Try fitting out the boat for single handling.
Old 19-08-2010, 21:39   #57

Hey Sam, did you make it to Bermuda?
Old 19-08-2010, 21:41   #58

Drew,

No. One delay after another at work. Planning to leave on Monday but it looks like my to crew are begging off.
Old 19-08-2010, 21:56   #59

Bad time to go, that may be why. I told you my partner at work fell out of his attick and landed in the hospital. He's back in the saddle (thank Goodness) but it's still ugly for me in terms of getting away. Bummer, Hope you make it.
Old 20-08-2010, 04:58   #60

It's a recurring problem. People respond to website postings or crew wanted notices. They come by and are all for it. A week before shipping out there is some excuse or other that usually involves a female. The wife isn't happy with it. I have this other commitment that I forgot to mention for the past month. Or they just disappear. I think single handing is the only sure way to cruise. But that sure sounds like a lot of work to me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: