Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2006, 21:37   #61
Kai Nui

It's hard to get bored when you never stop. I had both Jesika and Nathan working non stop I guess the real trick is to not let them get the idea it is OK to be a passenger. On my boat, everybody works
Old 19-08-2006, 14:24   #62

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
I'll start with the bad news, I haven't sailed all summer; and now the good news I will be sailing soon. I had my hip replaced on the 18th of May and the new hip wasn't conducive to boats bouncing around on the salt chuck. However I've been given the green light by the doctor - "do whatever you want now," he said - so I should be out there in the next week or so. The doc spotted my sailing magazine - "even sailing!" he said - so I looking forward to get the salt spray on me - no dodger.

During the summer I've installed three bilge pumps on my old Catalina 27, had it wired for shore and ships power (and now can run a small microwave - 700 watts), repainted the disgusting bilge at the keel, and now am ready to install the electronics that has been waiting for the electrics to be done.

Gulf Islands here I come.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2006, 14:40   #63

Hey rsn48.

I wish you and your hip good luck. I know how you feel about wanting to get back out on the water.

This summer has been one hellva hot one for a lot of us, here in the USofA!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2006, 21:55   #64

We have had a lot of Californians up here escaping the heat, I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like in Phoenix. We had a heat wave here; it lasted two days. Hope your C27 is doing well.
Old 20-08-2006, 12:02   #65

Well rsn48.

I work nights. 3rd shift. So I do not get the blast furnance heat. Like the people who work 1st or 2nd shift do.

That's the greatest benefit of working nights. Other than that. I do miss working and being around other people during the daytime. I have no night life!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 20-08-2006, 12:19   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Good to see you back K. Hey so what are your plans for a boat now? Still looking, or taking a break and saving??

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2006, 12:26   #67

Taking a break saving, Alan. But we'll see.

And concentrating on other issues in my life right now. Like the kind the wears skirts kind.

Old 24-08-2006, 22:11   #68

Finally out for a sail, the first of this season since my hip replacement surgery in May. The most disgusting thing was when I raised the Main, a fish head dropped out, from a fish that had been eaten by some bird. Of course the fish head stained the Main...groan.

The sail was great, reasonable wind until I did something stupid and went behind an island and of course the island stole my wind. I hit the iron spinnaker on for a few minutes and went back to sailing. Sun burned, tired, and ready to do some sail cleaning.

Anyone know how to get a fish head stain out of a Main?
Old 25-08-2006, 00:17   #69

Boat: Privilege 37
to get a biological stain out, I would start with an oxygen based cleaning product. Dont know what they are called your side of the pond, but QVC sells it over here. It just seems to disolve the biologicals - doesnt do much for rust staining though!
Old 25-08-2006, 08:35   #70

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
My sails so far.

Since early March, have sailed every week with the racing fleet on a Laser 28, plus four regattas and the Swiftsure race ( Victoria BC ) I have taken my own boat to two of the regattas as my hotel. Also have been out for two one week holidays plus quite a few weekends. Installed a larger solar panel and now the fridge can be run almost continuously on solar power. Have been using a roller furling headsail for the cruises when I am lazy. Also using the heavy spinnaker like a cruising chute, tacked at the pointy end. Ethel my old auto helm quit earlier this year so I have a new one, forgot the brand. New unit is called Audrey. Also have a new crew person, who is in charge of cooking and smooching. She is also learning to sail. We switch back to Sunday racing this weekend. We are leading at the moment in the regattas with one to go. Last week we raced against 3 boats that rate around 100 PHRF and they are pretty fast. Sonic 30, Hobie 33, Dash 34 and an Andrews 26. The water has just been warm enough ( 73F ) for swimming and snorkeling. There is an X swim instrutor on one of the other cruising boats and that helps everyone. I got a rash from swimmers itch that is a pain. One night we got eaten by mosqitos so I made screens. The new roll up dinghy is working fine, does not row too good against the wind and waves but is easy to inflate and haul on board. Will purchase a 2hp motor soon so I can use it for fishing. Have caught about 3 or four lake trout so far. I installed a second downrigger for the crew, and earlier this year a two burner Origo cooker that the cook likes. Gave away the old alcohol unit last week. Will give away the cheap rubber ducky soon. This old stuff fills up my dock box.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 09:25   #71

I would be interested in hearing your experience of the Swiftsure race. How was the weather and ocean conditions for it? How long were you out for?
Old 27-08-2006, 10:22   #72
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Nice easy (but short) sail yesterday. Took only 30 minutes to secure the boat from 'liveaboard' to sailable. About 10-12 kts of wind from the WNW, light seas and sunny. Averaged about 6.5 kts, and saw a couple of 8s (SOG). My usual route of 20 miles took about 3 hours.

While I'm a bit sore today, I left the boat ready to go again for today.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2006, 11:56   #73

Location: presently gallivanting back across the Pacific... Pago Pago at the moment
Boat: Hylas 49 - GALLIVANTER
pirate

We just returned from a four day trip which included two overnight stops at Honeymoon Bay on Water Island (which makes part of Crown Bay on St Thomas) and two days tied-up at a welding shop in Frenchtown, right by the seaplane docks in downtown Charlotte Amalie.

We returned to our berth today with a new hard top bimini which will serve as a mounting place for four solar panels, boom crutch, a diving board and jungle gym for arrr boy.

We framed the primary supports with 2 inch anodized aluminum.

Stern arch is next big project in order to install four additional solar panels, radome and dink davits... oh! and fishing rod holders.

We grilled fresh lobsters for dinner last night ($7 / lb) yum!

The new top is strong and looks pretty good.

Tomorrow - my wife and son and Aye are doing a paid delivery of a sweet, little Cape Dory over to St Croix.

I love life in the Caribbean!

Kirk
Gallivanters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2006, 17:27   #74

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Got away for a couple of days over the weekend. Got 2 salmon, both at least 8lb, plus a couple of decent size trumpeter, so the eating was good.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 16:18   #75

Boat: '67 Cal 20, Aurora and "73 Rival 34, Southern Rival
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor12
Hi Jim. The guy you helped out last weekend on Govt. Island was our good friend that we sold our boat to. Thank you so much for lending a hand to him. He was soooo appreciative! I love the sailing community!

Shari
We were very happy to help him-- I'm sure we'll need a hand from someone else in the future. I had to borrow wrenches to remove the battery, and that inspired us to buy a good toolkit to have aboard (which we should have had to begin with).

I've been looking over your posts-- you have very exciting plans. Has your Transpac arrived yet? It's our goal to own a bluewater boat around 40 feet in a year or two, and then spend about month each summer up in Puget Sound. Are kids are now 7 and 9, so maybe we can join up at some point in the future, if you're still on your 2012 plan. (Our kids love the San Juans.) I hope the Ha Ha is in our future as well.

Sailing has been great lately-- in the last two weeks we've done four sunset sails on the Columbia River. The best was last Wednesday night, with a spectacular simultaneous sunset and moonrise, with the moon rising right out of Mt. Hood. Last night we had an exceptionally fast sail beyond the I-205 bridge up river, before we turned and sailed back after dark. We love night sailing.

These are special days...

Thanks!

Jim H

Tags
sail