Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2008, 06:32   #136

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
almost no boats on the water on Memorial Day which is an omen or a sign of expensive fuel.
I noticed that too. There were almost no boats on the main part of SF Bay on Sunday. It was blowing pretty good but that is normal for SF Bay afternoons. And the price of fuel doesn't affect the sailing crowd. I don't think I ran the engine for more than a half hour. So what's that $5. Although I like power boats I'm glad I don't have one with these fuel prices.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 07:46   #137

Boat: Privilege 39
Ditto... We saw a number of sails but very few powerboats Sunday and Monday while we were out and about in SF Bay.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 09:29   #138

Scotte:

Where do you keep your boat? Mine is in Richmond at Marina Bay Village. I don't like it alot but we are only here for a few months.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 30-05-2008, 15:19   #139

Boat: '67 Cal 20, Aurora and "73 Rival 34, Southern Rival
Hey, I started this thread back in Jan 2006.

Our last day sail was last Saturday-- my brother and I took out my Rival 34 on the Solent out of Gosport.

Not great weather, and the wind died too soon, but it was good to get out nonetheless. The day before it was blowing 30 knots all day long, and the following day it rained like crazy and blew F7-8.

Family and I are taking the train to the boat tomorrow morning, to gas her up if nothing else for another group I'm taking over next weekend. Son would be happy just to fish, and I'll have pints at the lightship.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:56   #140

Boat: '67 Cal 20, Aurora and "73 Rival 34, Southern Rival
fun...

We had another great daysail on the Solent last Saturday--

Solent Daysail

Tomorrow I'm taking two friends from work down to the boat to sail to the Isle of Wight.

Anyone else with recent pics or stories to share...
Old 05-06-2008, 15:19   #141

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
Today's "day sail" was definitely not one of our best. The day started at 12:30 a.m. when we dropped our mooring at Clarke's Court Bay, Grenada heading for Trinidad. The forecast: 17 knots at 90 -100, 5' seas. The reality: sustained winds 20 knots with gusts to 24 from 120-130, 7' seas, and generally lumpy, bumpy, washing machine like conditions. We arrived at our marina at 3:30, grumpy and tired and still had to do the "dog and pony" show for customs and immigration.

Sure hope your day sail was more fun.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 16:08   #142

How about this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010710.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	3774  
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 18:07   #143

Had a good sail on Sunday. Tried out my predeparture check list and it worked marginally well. The change that I need to make is to assign jobs to specific people to get them done. I went to the boat early Friday night with my daughter. WE worked on the boat on Saturday Morning and I got a few items knocked off the list and added less than I took off so the list is close to the same number of chores long. Took off and went surfing midday and then came back and worked on the boat into the evening.

A friend and his kids showed up on Saturday night and spent the night. The next morning I performed a few more boat chores and then we went out sailing.

The first choice was to take the genoa down and put up the jib. Well that was a good choice since it was blowing in the mid twenties. And since while folding the Genoa I found a big tear in the leach. We then decided to put up the storm staysail and leave the jib off. We tucked behind aship that was moored and raised the main. A few minutes later the engine controls went TU. and we were under sail. Good thing I decided to put the sails up early. Well from there we decided to sail and then fix the engine controls. Well the wind died from 23 down to 9 so the little staysail that was so great was pretty small. We managed to sail back in and were able to dock at the pump out station by me using hand signs to the Admiral while she controled the engine from the pilot station. Fixing the main set of controls surprisingly only took about ten minutes. I have had that binnacle apart so many times now I could do it in my sleep.

Crusing is fixing things in exotic places. Right. The pump out station isn't very exotic but I was Sailing on SF Bay.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 18-06-2008, 05:34   #144
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Relax Lah! was hauled out a week ago Monday for anti-fouling. We did a couple of other jobs, fixed the steaming light and cleaned and lubed the winches. It's nice to be down to the part of the list that's "nice to do." The bottom paint we are trying this year is Micron Extra in dark blue. We are very fertile around here, in fact a bottom paint maker has a sled in the water here for testing - no results to share LOL. We'll let you know how this stuff works...

So last weekend we were boatless. My partner scared up a ride on a catamaran and I rented the club J24. The cats did an out-overnight-return on sunday deal. I reckoned to take the J24 out to the end of the channel and meet the fleet of 11 cats coming home. I also had a visitor from the States who has a hunter 26 on a lake back home. I let him helm and off we went.

Well, first we hanked on the jib and ran the lines. Then we unwrapped the main, fed the bolt rope in the mast then we cast off, then we hauled lines. Oh, did I mention I let him helm? So I was the deck rat. Damn I was missing the furler and Selden car system.

We started of in 10kts or less but the J24 is light and on the ebb tide was moving smartly even though were were beating up the channel. It took us about 2.5 hours to get to the end of the channel and no cats were in sight. They announced an 11 AM start so we figured they should be rounding by 2PM at the latest but at 3:30 no one is sight.

Oh, well we had white caps on the water for a while and that was nice sailing. Especially as we are supposed to be in the doldrums. My friend commented on the significant amount of barge and ship traffic but to me it was a normal day. He actually had no time in these conditions but by the end of the day he was getting pretty good at judging his tacks across the channel to split 2 barges on tow or a barge and a ship as required.

Eventually we gave up waiting around for the cats and made the downwind run for home - I was definitely too lazy and maybe a bit short handed for the spinnaker so we ran wing on wing for a bit. That was slow and hot due to no relative wind so we decided to do training runs down the channel and gybe every so often. We actually had better boat speed and a bit of a breeze so that was way better.

As is our custom on relax Lah! the deck guy tries to get stuff stowed away on the last 400 meters or so, such that we are done when we get there. Trying to flake the main by myself on this lightweight cork was not happening at all so as we got close to the mooring we dumped the genny and motored to the buoy.

Then we flaked the main sail and covered it. Unhanked the genny and folded it and bagged it and generally secured the boat. Did I mention I miss my roller furler and lazy jacks? (Relax Lah! gets floated tomorrow - Yay!)

All in all a very nice sail though and 4 hours on the water.

Oh, the cats didn't start until 1PM and ended up becalmed in the shipping channels for about 2 hours. The first one (an A class) got back around 6 PM and the others at about 5-10 minute intervals after that. My partner crossed 3rd which wasn't a bad showing.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 20:29   #145
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We launched Relax Lah! yesterday. Lot's of grunting and groaning by the boat boys but eventually they got the sled lined up with the boat ramp and she trundled backwards into the channel with her beatuiful new blue bottom paint.

It was a Friday, it was 1 o'clock, so we sat in the restaurant admiring her bobbing on the dock while we had lunch. We had a consistent westerly and full, puffy, white cumulus clouds under sunny skies. Definitely the right time for a sickie.

We flushed and filled the water tank - our last task for this round, rigged the mainsail which was removed for the haul out and decided to go for a sail up channel.

After a quick run down to Pasir Ris we were going so well we thought we'd continue up the channel. A 400 ton sea going crane was being towed up the channel and we raced for a while eventually being overtaken by the powerful tugs. Before we knew it we were at the backside of Ubin with 2 choices on getting home. Let's go around. Even if we get back late the lights are working and the beer supply is holding out.

We estimated 6 tacks to beat up the channel so we were pleasantly surprised by the slight shifts afforded by the land mass of Ubin. We close hauled all the way to the middle channel mark between Singapore and Malaysia beofe turning for a long tack parallel to the arriving jets into Changi Airport.

Just before our turn into the channel, our British helmsman in the understatement of the day said, "I think I see a bit of lift coming, eh wot!" I glanced over my shoulder and saw the telltale waterspout from the arriving 777 that had just past. The vortex was going to cross port to starboard right over the mast.

In a somewhat more urgent tone I asked the genny man to blow the sheet as I blew the main sheet. A second later the starboard rail was under water and the boat was at a 50 degree heel. Then just as quickly as it came we righted and sheeted everything back in. Just one of the "home field" tricks is learning how to deal with jet wash - LOL.

We turned the channel and with the sun setting bold and red in the west, the 10-15 knot winds we had all day started to die. We pushed the happy button and the 10 horse Volvo chugged to life. The crew furled the genny, flaked the main and we picked up the buoy.

3 1/2 hours around ubin is a pretty good speed for us. At this point we decided not to question whether $1500 bucks was worth it for bottom paint.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	round Ubin.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	4003  
Old 20-06-2008, 20:43   #146
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Great stuff, Dan! Not many people get to sail through a tornado-like vortex coming off a jet's wingtip. If you hadn't quickly blown the clutches, you very likely would have had the mast in the water, or close to it.

Thanks for the ride!

TaoJones
Old 30-06-2008, 23:40   #147
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Is Anyone Else Sailing?

Lot's of drama this weekend. We had planned a trip to Sebana Cove, Malaysia, a very popular stop off for cruising yachties, for several weeks. The kids are all out of school and so a Saturday-Monday trip was planned. We had plenty of volunteers and at one point we had three boats going.

Well, one boat backed out, so I volunteered to rent the club boat (J24) in order to fit all 10 adventurists.

For those who have yet to do an international trip, a short diversion. Old hands will think nothing of this but clearing in and out of countries is one of the cruising skills. I am glad we can get this experience here.

First you get a Harbor Clearance - this is basically approval to take the boat out of Singapore. Secondly, we produce a manifest. One page lists the skipper and "crew" - Crew is actually required or paid members. Everyone else is a passenger. So we have two pages in triplicate with everyone's passport details and so on to clear out of Singapore.

Well at the last minute (Friday night) we discover some folks on Relax Lah! have passport (expired) or visa problems. The entire crew of Relax Lah! decide to scrub their mission. So I have a Harbor clearance and a crew manifested on the club boat. Relax Lah! has a harbor clearance but no passengers or skipper.

We debate what to do and eventually we decide that the Harbor clearance and the manifest are two separate things, so we take Relax Lah!'s clearance and the club boats manifest. If we get it wrong we are screwed because we are clearing at sea - 1 1/2 hours away. But using your own boat beats paying rent on the club boat.

We loaded half the "crap" on Friday afternoon and made sure the boat was ready. Sebana has tennis and golf and we planned for both. So out little 25 footer was loaded with 3 sets of clubs, bags for 6, tennis rackets for 4, too much beer (two coolers), food for 3 days. At least compared to flying we didn't have to worry about CG and Max weight issues and Relax Lah!'s waterline remained above the level of the water - a good thing we reckoned.

Of course this was a sailing trip and while we had the tide with us of course the easterly breeze was right on the nose on our way to South Angler Buoy - the designated immigration holding point for the east side of the island. We motored the 1 1/2 hours to the general purpose area. Along the way we spotted an almost new fender bobbing along and after "only" 4 passes we got it aboard. I blame it on the choppy sea caused by an outgoing tide and an incoming wind ;-)

We used to enjoy immigration service at our club but due to circumstances we no longer can clear on land and we have to clear at sea. This was my first time to do this and as we pulled up we called immigration on Ch74 and they were Johny-on-the-Spot in 2 minutes in a big very powerful launch. I dropped all out passports, harbor clearance and boat registration, all wrapped in a plastic bag, into a net held out by the deck hand. The launch backed off and we floated 5 minutes while they were processed. Any concern about the clearance and manifest was a non-issue.

Another quick transfer and we were off on a wonderful reach at 5kts. A reach that held all the way to the entrance to the river. If you look at the photo I attached you can see Pulau Tekong. This is a special purpose island owned by Singapore that they are growing with cean dirt landfill. The dotted lines represent the breakwall delineating the shallow water that is being filled. It's a bit controversial with some of the neighbors but you have to admire the Singaporean industriousness.

The river can be sailed, if you are a masochist, but most people will drop sails after the first turn. We were no different.

Arriving at Sebana Cove 45 minutes later we hailed on Ch71 and were guided to our berth. We dropped into the harbor master, provided our manifest and Singapore port clearance. Due to security changes all the crew had to stop over at the immigration shed rather than the skipper being able to clear everyone.

Saturday afternoon we played tennis and swam and Saturday night we joined the yachties for the weekly BBQ dinner, although we were late and as a bigger group we were off to one end.

Sunday was golf and tennis. Some people joined by Ferry on Sunday morning and returned Sunday night. Monday was a quick trip to the nearby town and then the clearances out of Sebana Cove for a 2PM departure.

We motored out, enjoyed the ideal reaching conditions again - on the opposite tack and reached the immigration area by 4PM. Unfortunately we weren't so lucky with the immigration boat timing and we and two other boats waited an hour for immigration.

By this time it was after 5 and the wind which we were hoping to remain strong for our downwind run died completely. Welcome to cruising...

So maybe 3:00 of sailing and 5:00 of motoring in a 3 day trip. At least the batteries are nicely charged...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sebana sun.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	4123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sebana Cove.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	4124  

Old 01-07-2008, 09:13   #148

Thanks for sahring about your trip Dan. An international experience in a three day trip. Great Adventure.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 08-07-2008, 17:03   #149

Two MOB Drills

Light winds this weekend. Full boat too. 5 Adults and 5 kids. We sailed to East end of Angel Island. When we were almost there one of our guests hat fell into the drink. He said don't worry about it but I thought it was a perfect excuse to do a MOB drill. Light winds 10 to 15 knots. Tacked then gybed and came up with a pretty good line on the hat. Decided to go to weather of the hat. Ended up to leward. Not very good steering on my part. Doesn't turn like my J105. Anyway missed picking up the hat with the net on the first attempt but got on the second.

We sailed Downwind for awhile and a cry goes up from the foredeck where the kids were playing. My net went overboard. ( We have nets with 4' poles attached that the kids use to catch things from the dock) There was very little to know wind. I slipped the engine on and did a second recovery with a boat hook. This one was more complicated b/c the net was sunk and the pole was sticking out of the water. I managed to put the boat in the right place but b/c of the difficulties of catching a stick (the net) with a stick (the boat hook) we weren't able to pull it up out of the water. Well since the engine was on I just reversed course a little and this time the man with the boathook aimed for the net-- which was underwater-- and we retrieved the net. Crisis averted.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 08-07-2008, 21:49   #150

sailors are a helpful bunch

Going in to our second weekend on the boat this summer, we were really looking forward to getting out. We live about an hour and a half from our mooring and had had a lot of foul weather the week before, so expected perhaps a few things out of place... what we got was the V-berth counter half way off (still need to install a latch), the whole battery compartment slid forward, and the new flooring (dry-dek) pushed forward because of it. The boat herself had been moved to a different mooring. Uh-oh, something must have happened during the week. It takes A LOT to move those batteries. We hadn't received a call from the boat yard though, and she seemed to be sound, so we busied ourselves putting everything back in order and started work on another project.

As we were on the bow putting the new toerails on, a couple sailed by to the next mooring and yelled out to us "is your boat alright?". Turns out, the gentleman onboard assisted her rescue on Thursday. Aucoot cove gets very shallow in places during low tide. We knew that of course, but when we picked up the different mooring last week, we double checked with the office and they said it would be "fine". Thursday ended up being a -6 low tide, and in fact, there was a ROCK directly under the mooring. He saw her starting to list to port, and noticed she wasn't moving with the wind as were the other boats. There was no one in the office to assist, but thankfully, a few other friendly boaters and the guys from Eddy and Duff were in... together they were able to slide her off the rock with no apparent damage. If that were only the end of the story... when they were moving her to a new mooring, they actually HIT a rock. As you can imagine, this caused more damage than just sitting on the rock she fouled on. Chad took the snorkel mask and dove below to check out the keel... she definitely has some dings, but nothing too serious. More fiberglass fun for Chad when she comes out of the water at the end of the season. A close call! Our neighbour relayed a story of a different sailor whose boat was irrevocably damaged on that same rock. Perhaps the yard should decommission that mooring area. The scary part is that we STILL haven't heard from the boat yard that anything happened.

Sunday turned in to the perfect sailing day on Buzzard's Bay, the sky was clear, seas were small, visibility was great and the wind was blowing. We sailed north from Aucoot, then headed south past Mattapoisett to a small Island that juts out in to the bay. Raising of the sails went very smoothly (no roller furling) and we sailed for about four hours, playing with sail shape and trim. The wind was picking up as we were headed home in to our mooring and we were able to drop the jib with ease and sail in under the main alone. It was a breeze... we actually looked like we knew what we were doing! It was a great feeling to get in under sail power only. We had only done that once last season, and had almost missed the mooring that time.
sfreivald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail