Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2017, 17:00   #1

Snakes on board

Has anyone had a snake climb the anchor rope onto the boat.
Alan Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 17:21   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Snakes on board

No, but I have had one climb up the cockpit drain and end up in the back cabin.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 17:25   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

No, but it sounds like you have.

I once had a sea snake (extremely poisonous species) chase/follow me 150 yards back to the boat. He was so persistent I almost expected him to find a way onboard.

I've never heard of a snake climbing up a rode/chain. And it would need to be a terrestrial variety. But I suppose stranger things have happened.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 01:35   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Suijun, not so. in Suva Harbor, I watched a banded sea snake slither up a Welsh friend's anchor chain. There was little wind, and it was a largeish snake, on the order of 6 ft, which is large for the species. It caused quite a stir. Although quite poisonously venomed, these snakes venom apparatus is way back in their mouths, which are quite small, so not terribly dangerous to humans, unless they bite your toes, fingers, earlobes, or other dangly bits. Also, they are not aggressive, particularly, standard practice is to just throw them back in the water. It's more of a drag than a danger.

Yes, as donradcliffe said, they do come up through cockpit drains, and via anchor chains, then the boat's there for their exploration.

Although, one time, one climbed up an outboard leg, and wrapped itself round the o/b, for the lovely warmth. Next morning, Mrs. snake-phobic yachtie, bless her, pulled the string, to start the engine, which worked fine, but it upset the serpent, which came out into their little plywood dinghy. Shrieking ensued. But she coped. She motored the dinghy back to the boat, boarded via the ladder, tied the dinghy alongside, and got someone else to throw the snake back in.

Actually, though not common, such tales are not uncommon, either, if you are somewhere near "Snake Is." or "Isle des Serpents" or where there are sea snakes. "Tricot Raye" are so common in New Caledonia, that they are also a cartoon character.

Ann
Old 22-01-2017, 05:17   #5

Boat: no boat any more

had a juvenile boa constrictor climb up the trimtab of the selfsteeringgear in the estuary at Puntarenas, costa rica, was abt finger-thick
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 05:47   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Snakes on board

I know this is not what your talking about, but as a kid I had a large water moccasin drop into the canoe with me off of an overhanging limb.
I destroyed the paddle killing the snake and had to paddle back with my hands, luckily it wasn't far.
Water moccasins are very aggressive and dangerous, being from the South where we have dangerous aggressive snakes, I don't think I would be calm finding a large one in the boat with me
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 07:56   #7

Not a snake but I had a 3' iguana jump into the cabin with me last week while I was docked. I didn't see it right away until it started thrashing around in the galley, making a hell of a mess. It was kinda funny since this is one of the ones I see around the dock a lot, named her Emma. All I had to do was yell at her to get the hell off my boat and she scurried out of the companion way through the cockpit and jumped overboard. I think she's mad at me now.

Jimmy Buffett
Captaink73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 08:17   #8

Boat: Boatless

At the boat dock in La Playia Panama which is also a ferry dock guarded by the Panamanian AeroNaval military, we watched an enlisted man ordered to attack a boa on an outboard.

He beat the hell out of the outboard with his night-stick!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 08:30   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

wasnt my anchor line--was a midships line during furycame cosme in barra de navidad, summer of 2013.
new toy for bubba, but i found it first--looked like my lines until i awakened it--donot worry--the poisonous sea snakes are usually quite happy in water--this is a land snake, a boa---baby one.
it was taken back to nature and placed into a tree.
now i try to keep my lines out of water. sort of. these donot bother me--poisonous spiders bother me. huge red avispas bother me. african bees bother me.
but these--no sweat.
on my boat i also have discovered the bright green iguanas, heard and smelled koatamundi, and some other critters--bubba keeps away the small ones.
raccoon in florida sought dinner from bubbas reject cat food in garbage i had yet to toss--hahahaha she was fat and cute n mean as new momma coons are--ears were shorter than bubbas so i figgered we had issues. both were side by side--oops.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 08:31   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

That's it. I'm selling the boat and buying an RV.

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 08:33   #11

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Yes sure...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	139943  
Old 22-01-2017, 12:30   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hey, gilana,

That one was a bit "conspic", eh? ;-)
Old 22-01-2017, 12:32   #13

Boat: Catalina 470

There was a cat in Sumatra last year that had 5-6 come onboard via the walk on transoms. Anyway he was able to get them off, he thought! He gets to langkawi sometime later to find one still in a lazarette as he was fixing the aircon ,he accidentally grabbed ,or went to grab it thinking it was something else.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 13:47   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

My Step Mother went to pick up My Fathers belt that he had left on the bathroom floor, just as she was just about to grab it, it moved
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 14:09   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
No, but it sounds like you have.

I once had a sea snake (extremely poisonous species) chase/follow me 150 yards back to the boat. He was so persistent I almost expected him to find a way onboard.

I've never heard of a snake climbing up a rode/chain. And it would need to be a terrestrial variety. But I suppose stranger things have happened.
No. Never had a snake on board. Don't have a boat. Plan on building one. Reason I ask, we plan to spend a lot of time in the backwaters of the Everglades. I will have welded an attachment point for the rode close to the waterline and use a hook to retrieve it when we want to move.

Why? Well, the first question my dear wife would ask about a rode attached at deck level is "Could a snake climb that rope?" Answer being "yes", will not work. My wife[and many others come to find out] cannot even look at a picture of a snake. She would never sleep wondering if a snake were climbing on board.

So, the boat deck must be built high enough above the water line so snakes and alligators can not stroll on board at any time.
Alan Waters is offline   Reply With Quote