Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2011, 10:53   #46

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: Smaller vs Larger

Me too. Just trying to clarify. . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 11:12   #47

But the rope going to the sail is a sheet line.The lower part of the sail is called a sheet. In 1294 the term sheat morphed into sheet which became known to mean a rope. In the Navy a rope is a line in in Yacht speak the rope is refered to as a sheet. I apologize (sorry John Wayne) for the crossover in my mind.My defense is I am old.
oldman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 11:22   #48

Boat: Westerly Centaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman66 View Post
But the rope going to the sail is a sheet line.The lower part of the sail is called a sheet. In 1294 the term sheat morphed into sheet which became known to mean a rope. In the Navy a rope is a line in in Yacht speak the rope is refered to as a sheet. I apologize (sorry John Wayne) for the crossover in my mind.My defense is I am old.
If you can still recall 1294 I reckon you're pretty old aye
I believe a rope is a rope until it is put to use and becomes something else.
Hillbillylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 12:33   #49

Since I have very little real experience I refer everything to Wikipidi are someone with on this Foruma. Thanks you made look it up to get myself straight on the sheet. My Dad was 1294 and he told me this.HA
Old 20-10-2011, 13:09   #50
CLOD

Boat: none

ropes, lines, sheets ................ just words that are more important to the knowledgable people in the pink pants wearing one of those silly hats with the gold braiding

call stuff whatever you want as long as the people you are talking understand
Old 20-10-2011, 15:04   #51
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

66, there's a succint phrase that is two words long and I suspect if I quoted it the forum software would censor it. But when you say you won't have to go forward, or this crew of yours will be able to handle things, remember that at sea if something can go wrong--it eventually will.

This means your roller furling/reefing may foul, or a line break, and you must have jacklines rigged to that so you can go forward. Or your crew may slip or be hit in a gybe, and be incapacitated. You need to plan for these things, because they do happen.

With just two people on board, you'll each be sailing solo while the other sleeps, so you're shorthanded in the best of conditions. With a trip that long I'd strongly suggest having 3 or 4 people on board, among other things to simply prevent fatigue in your are caught out in bad weather. And with just two of you, if someone goes overboard, there you are solo again. Or worse. If nothing else, make sure you've got some kind of check-in schedule with someone on land who can call in a SAR if you are overdue at multiple points. And try to get some time to do a sea trial for 24 hours in intentionally bad weather, because rough water tends to free up the crud in any fuel system and then kill the engine when you want it most. If your crew hasn't had any experience with diesel inboards, it again falls back on you to fix that if it happens.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 15:15   #52

Your are right on every point. I am actively looking for more help. If it comes to just the two us we will both sleep and work the same shift.Is this a common practice? I will have safety precautions. I plan on emptying the fuel tank. Is that a normal step to take? I read several times where trash in the tank happens at the wrong time. Seems to me to drain and clean would be good. Is this something the boat yard is set up for?
Old 20-10-2011, 15:35   #53
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Smaller vs Larger

Most yards have fuel polishers... or can arrange one for you

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 15:37   #54
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: small vs larger

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman66 View Post
All very good points, and I take them all.We will be on the motor 1/3 of distance, doing 6 knots. We will follow the coast about 20 miles out.I am not in good health with a recent minor surgery. This boat is a designed solo boat for the novice sailor. Very friendly to us. It has a Scaeffer boom that can be reefed without coming up to luff the main.He will never leave the cockpit.All lines go to cockpit. The sheets will furl from the cockpit,etc. His skills will keep us from going down, and I fill he is very capable.All that you have said validates my own thinking. Please add as much to this as you wish. My only concern is to get us and boat home safely. Again thanks to all of you.

Equal goals to sail and to sail safely.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 15:43   #55

Good info. So much to do. The boat has been setting for about a year. The cost of cleaning will give me a peace of mind. Thanks
Old 20-10-2011, 15:57   #56

Oldman66 I think I'm confused. You have a seasoned sailor but talk about navigating by line of sight. Kind of scary, no passage plan other than watch the coast? What happens if you get fog?
DJBrookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 16:55   #57
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBrookster View Post
Oldman66 I think I'm confused. You have a seasoned sailor but talk about navigating by line of sight. Kind of scary, no passage plan other than watch the coast? What happens if you get fog?

I agree with you. Since the more experienced sailor typically sails 16' - 20' foot boats, he probably doesn't go far from shore.

But maybe he's done a lot of crewing on bigger boats?

This boat needs both a chart plotter (in addition to good paper charts) and a depth sounder. I would add a backup handheld gps, which will at least give you your L & L to use on the paper chart.

I know Columbus didn't have them but a lot of seagoing sailors died before these things were invented.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 17:06   #58

We will take all the precautions we can with what resources we have.
Old 20-10-2011, 19:34   #59
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"If it comes to just the two us we will both sleep and work the same shift.Is this a common practice? "
No, quite the opposite. You MUST have someone on deck, awake, alert, and on watch at all times unless you are anchored or docked. If you don't, you are in violation of both regulations and common sense, because with no one on watch, you have no way to tell if you're going to be run down by a tanker, or anything else. Yes, in theory you can heave to and "park" but in practice, that's normally a terrible idea.

Emptying and refilling your tank, or polishing the fuel, is a good idea but whether it is enough depends on the state of your tank. If it is shedding lining or there is crud coming off the tank walls, the tank may need cleaning. Polishing or refilling only takes care of what is already loose and already floating around. Just like old paint on a wall, crud keeps flaking off from the sloshing of fuel in bad weather, if it is there. If it just clogs your filter, and you change filters, you may only be inconvenienced. But changing filters and bleeding the fuel system in bad weather can be an ugly chore. If your fuel system needs crush washers, order dozen, the shipping is usually more than the washers are and they are typically thrown away and replaced any timeou need to bleed the fuel system. IF any of this is news to you, you may want to hire a diesel mechanic to come down and go over the engine and fuel system with you, to show you (and the crew) hands-on what has to be done.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 20:31   #60

Really important stuff. I have some experience with hydraulics. This is similar.Any ideal on the cost? You might have noticed we are doing this on the cheap. A great deal we can do ourselves. Or rather to say myself.