Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-12-2016, 16:38   #31

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Small one man sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleman View Post
IMO
You do not have to have experience or any real knowledge of the subject matter in order to write a successful novel.

The author of MOBY DICK didn't have any experience on ships. He took othe job on the ship just to add some credibility to his book.

Margaret Mead [GONE WITH THE WIND Didn't know anything to speak of of the Old South around the Civil War yet she penned one of the most sucessful stories ever.
Look at all the air-heads in Hollywood who have written sucessful books, multiple examples where knowledge is of no importance.

OK much of this stuff is written by ghost writers, many of which also have no subget matter knowledge either.

SO pick your prospective audience, make it entertaing and become a successful author!!
I recommend you spend your time learning to entertain your selected audience and not worry about technical details of the subject matter.
Unless you are attempting to write a technical manual on small boat operations in open ocean. That would bore many people out of their minds and probably never be popularly sucessful.
Perfect example: All Is Lost (2013) - IMDb

Old 01-12-2016, 19:25   #32

Tinkerbell, by Robert Manry, would be an excellent reference as it details his battle with sleep deprivation and hallucinations and the effects of isolation and the lack of human contact.

Something to be said for his courageous singlehanded achievement but nothing I'd ever want to do in spite of my love of sailing....

Old 01-12-2016, 19:35   #33

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

It's true that if we knew more about the character it would be easier to recommend the appropriate boat and chores while sailing.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 21:57   #34

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

Get someone who knows boats, possibly a liveaboard to proof read for you. So many writers get things about boats SO wrong.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:10   #35

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ida_Lewis View Post
Teknishn, what are your titles -- I'm interested! I'll bet you're a Lindsay Davis fan too -- Marcus Didius Falco mysteries. Highly recommend, set in Roman Empire.
Ida_Lewis, I self publish and distribute here in Egypt at the moment. Here are a few: "In the Footsteps of Romans, an Illustrated Guide to the Via Porphyrites in Egypt's Eastern Desert" (Non-Fiction, 223 pages), "Jabal Dukhan, The Mountain of Smoke" (Non-Fiction, 165 pages), "Skopolo" (Fiction, 287 pages. The story of a young Roman foot soldier of Egyptian birth, Lucilius Naevius Sabinus while stationed at a lone watchstation in the desert).

But back on-topic, for Boatwriter23: Here is a link to a blog where a young lady bought, repaired, and sailed away. It was enjoyable to follow her adventure: http://www.dinghydreams.com/
Old 02-12-2016, 03:35   #36

Boat: Westsail 32

The Boat, just remember this, WESTSAIL THE WORLD
Old 02-12-2016, 05:09   #37

Boat: Valiant 40

Interestingly, I know a number of women who own and single hand Bristol Channel Cutters. A couple of them live aboard. If you're at all romantic about sailboats (and very good at varnishing) they're pretty amazing.

For the purposes of the OP's research, she should look into Matt Rutherford's voyage on his Albin Vega. A lot has been written about it so it would be a good source of material.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:51   #38

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrcal36 View Post
Young Norwegiean Couple crossing oceans on a Contessa 26 (Folkboat variation). Met her at a boat show, very nice. They're site has many descriptions of life aboard a small boat. Also on the site are videos including an interesting one Discovery Channel did on them. She does all of the talking, he is quite shy:
http://www.freewebs.com/sybika-eng/boatandcrew.htm

Cheers
Mike
Mike--That is a great site. Thanks for posting it!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 15:47   #39

Boat: Fisksatra, Havsfidra I, 20'

astokel
Nordica 20, Halman look very much like my boat from Sweden. Havsfidra Fisksatra, also 20 ft. on deck before the bow platform was added.

Maureen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	On our mooring.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	137363  
Old 02-12-2016, 17:37   #40

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Books by Lin and Larry Pardey, Cruising in Seraffyn was their first. They made a wood sailboat; however, everything is fiberglass now. The sailing parts are good.
Old 02-12-2016, 17:48   #41

Boat: Catalina 30

BCC, flicka, contessa....

Heck, the OP MUST read "Maiden Voyage" pronto. Prob the best research possible. Gosh, I loved that book. I think I read it about a week after I first went sailing.

Read all the myriad of blogs as to what breaks while doing crossings. Sails, rigging, etc..
Old 02-12-2016, 18:22   #42

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatwriter23 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm working on a short story where the narrator operates a small sailboat by herself and travels over long distances in it. I'm trying to find out what sailboat model to research. It needs to have a cabin because she often sleeps on open water.

Also, what are some basic day to day things that you do to maintain a sailboat?

I really appreciate your help.
how about a flicka? or maybe a dana 24? maybe a halman 20?
we go wherever we want to go. that's what a ship is, you know. it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails. that's what a ship needs. but what a ship is...really is...is freedom---captain jack sparrow
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 20:25   #43

There are some really good small boats that would fit your story. I think the Contessa 26 would fit but a book has already been written around that boat. the Haida 26 is another good romantic named boat that has sailed the world and of course a Vancouver 27 which is truly a sea going boat. Other very good boats that are not that common would be a Carol 24 from Chuck Paine. Custom built and a seaworthy boat of good character as well as the Bristol Chanel cutters both the 28 and 22 are excellent seaworthy boats but are on the scary expensive side.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:41   #44

Boat: Ericson 34
Re: small one man sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel E Felt View Post
Try. Albin Vega. (Spelling) Google it
Albin Vega indeed ! 'Was my first "dream boat" when I could afford only sailing magasines ! Small (27'/8m23/2.3 tons) very well built, easy to handle under sail or with its one cylinder diesel Volvo.
I remember reading an article, back in early 70, about 4 guys crossing the Atlantic in it... It looked then more like a sardine can but for a lone girl it would be perfect
VEGA 27 (ALBIN) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Cheers !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AlbinVega_27.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	137462   Click image for larger version

Name:	ReadyForPassage.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	137463  

Old 04-12-2016, 06:05   #45

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer1008 View Post
There are some really good small boats that would fit your story. I think the Contessa 26 would fit but a book has already been written around that boat. the Haida 26 is another good romantic named boat that has sailed the world and of course a Vancouver 27 which is truly a sea going boat. Other very good boats that are not that common would be a Carol 24 from Chuck Paine. Custom built and a seaworthy boat of good character as well as the Bristol Chanel cutters both the 28 and 22 are excellent seaworthy boats but are on the scary expensive side.
I agree, Chuck Paine's designs are wonderful. I'd love to have an Annie. And you're right about the BC & Falmouth Cutters being expensive although Paine's boats are usually quite pricey too. If I could find a Falmouth Cutter for a normal price I'd have one but $50,000 for a 22' boat is tough to swallow. Of course, if you're just writing about it & not buying it who cares.

Tags
sail, sailboat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: