Since we're swapping stories...
I bought my Cape Dory
28 last year in August. It was in the water
when I bought it, and I took a month to get it ready and then sailed it 120 miles back to my town. I had it hauled out in November for new bottom paint
. Since the old bottom paint
was bubbling up (not blisters
, incompatibility with the underlying barrier coat or something) the boat yard suggested I sand it off down to the barrier coat and then start with fresh paint
. We knew it had a barrier coat because the paint
was coming off in 6 to 12 inch flakes that exposed the barrier coat.
Well, the work was done and then it was time to put the boat back in the water
. They lowered the boat into the water with the travel-lift and I went down below to open the seacock for the engine
water and get everything ready. I heard a dribbling of water but figured the stuffing box must have dried out sitting on the hard
for the week it took to paint it. I was checking everything and getting ready to open the seacock and start the engine
, but noticed the dribbling sound was still there.
When I removed the engine compartment door (the steps on my boat) and went for the seacock I was surprised to feel cold water on my hand. I looked in there and to my surprise it looked like two water fountains shooting into the air, one on each side of the seacock!! I yelled at the guys to raise it back up because it was going to sink, which they did.
, it turns out long ago someone must have had a different strainer for the coolant
intake, and when they changed it the bolts didn't line up so they just drilled new ones. The only problem is that they NEVER PLUGGED THE OLD HOLES!!! Apparently the only thing that had been keeping the sea out during my working on it and sailing it down to my home marina was the built up layers of bottom paint over the holes!!! When the boatyard had sanded off the old paint down to the barrier coat, it exposed the holes.
Luckily I had tipped the yard workers really well, so they patched the two holes on the spot, and then let the boat sit in the lift
for an hour or two to let the new bottom paint dry which they had applied over the patches.