Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 19:15   #16

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Quote:
handles on fittings? I think we're talking about thru-hull fittings here, right
In my book that would be a failure, you could not operate the seacock without the handle.

Quote:
I wonder if the thur-hull fitting cracked and was tightened up pulling the threaded nipple section into the boat. Both the mushroom cap and the threaded nipple section looked fine, just not connected anymore.
That seems unlikely as I do not think you could get the torque on the fitting with the thru hole tool and a spanner on the nut inside. I installed 2 the other day one was a 2" the other was 1 1/2" I made handle extensions for the thru hole tool so I could get some leverage, no way I could get enough torque to separate the threads on it. Jack
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 20:14   #17

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
So anyone else have a small thing that was just a diaster waiting to happen?
41' ................

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 20:22   #18
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens 47 View Post
In my book that would be a failure, you could not operate the seacock without the handle.
So... what do you mean? that a thru hull fitting has a handle? But you're talking about a seacock now? I'm afraid you lost me, it doesn't make sense.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 21:24   #19

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
I wonder if the thur-hull fitting cracked and was tightened up pulling the threaded nipple section into the boat. Both the mushroom cap and the threaded nipple section looked fine, just not connected anymore. Anyway now I have a bronze thur-hull with a Marlon valve and bronze tail peice (because that's all I could find to make the right assembly after going to 3 West Marines).

So anyone else have a small thing that was just a diaster waiting to happen?
If it's below the waterline it should be a seacock!

Old 08-03-2010, 21:39   #20

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Quote:
So... what do you mean? that a thru hull fitting has a handle? But you're talking about a seacock now? I'm afraid you lost me, it doesn't make sense.
My apologies I re-read the posts. James mentioned handles and I went their. The thread was about through holes not seacock failures. Jack
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 15:16   #21

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28
i know some people say there is no place for 5200 on a boat.

for me thru-hulls below the water line is the only place for it.

i think the hassle of taking it off (when the time comes) is worth the assurance that it is not going anywhere until then
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 15:54   #22
Armchair Bucketeer

Might be an appropriate time to ask a seacock related question before I create a disaster in the making...........

Am intending to remove the seatoilet and replace with a simple chemical bog.........but, not sure at this moment that I won't later want to revert to a sea toilet so I don't want to remove the seacocks and glass over the holes - but I do want to remove the hoses.

I know me Father did the same thing for many years with the seacock turned (and wired) off and with a simple wooden bung (since reverted to a seatoilet though)........but I was wandering if their is something else I could use to blank the through hulls off? maybe from the plumbing merchants? or something using jubilee clips?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 21:04   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hey david,

Remove the hose adapters from the seacocks and put bronze (bronze, nothing else) plugs in. Use some teflon tape for both sealing and making it easy to remove later.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 11-03-2010, 21:54   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I had a similar experience to Don a few weeks ago.

I bought a new speed log with transducer and thru hull. The boat had a thru hull and plug for a speed log, never installed.

The new thru hull was bigger in diameter so I couldn't reuse the original. When I pulled the plug I realized the locking ears for the plug had completely failed. The only thing holding the plug in was 4 coats of bottom paint and 2 o-rings. The thru hull and the plug were both phenolic. The ears were the only metal parts. Corroded right through.

Thru hulls, seacocks and any penetrations through the hull are on my haulout list. They may be "expensive" but no compromising here. Replace them if in doubt. Know where every penetration is on your boat and the condition.

This one was easy to access as it is right under the galley. It routinely got a "pass" primarily because I incorrectly assumed it was "plugged" and a non issue.

Oh, I also carry a selection of wooden bungs. In the galley drawer...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 23:27   #25

Location: Australia - the boat is currently in Darwin. We will be heading down into the Kimberly in May, then on down to Perth.
Boat: 46' Aluminium Catamaran
[QUOTE=
Oh, I also carry a selection of wooden bungs. In the galley drawer...[/QUOTE]

I have been told to have the appropriate sized bung tied onto each cock.
In an emergency the correct bung is immediately available - to anyone.

Paul
Skellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:59   #26
CLOD

Boat: none
[QUOTE=Ex-Calif;418095]I had a similar experience to Don a few weeks ago.

I bought a new speed log with transducer and thru hull. The boat had a thru hull and plug for a speed log, never installed.

The new thru hull was bigger in diameter so I couldn't reuse the original. When I pulled the plug I realized the locking ears for the plug had completely failed. The only thing holding the plug in was 4 coats of bottom paint and 2 o-rings. The thru hull and the plug were both phenolic. The ears were the only metal parts. Corroded right through.

QUOTE]

This was a good one. My speed has the plug in irt as I use the GPS for speed instead and though it best to just leave the plug in (the instrument doesn't work anyway). Been thinking of glasssing it up but thought the plug was good enough. Now I have to rethink it.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:43   #27
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
it was bronze
You sure? there are a lot of yellow metals out there (brasses etc). Care to name the brand?
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 11:29   #28

Boat: On the hard for now - 2 dinghies
Just a thought. If you're going to have the seacock disconnected for some time the possibility exists that you won't be doing much exercising or maintenance on it.

If you goal is to keep the hole available for re-installation of a seacock, my suggestion would be to remove the seacock, if it's still in good condition, clean it up, grease it and store it.

I'd consider replacing it with a high-quality bronze through-hull and a NPT threaded cap. The through-hull fitting can be cut down to lower the profile. The first 1" of the NPS thread can be recut to NPT. It would be a low cost, easy maintenance solution. Just make sure you get good quality bronze. If it's from China or your uncertain as to where it's from don't use it.

Just a thought.

Fair winds,

Jed
Watercolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 12:37   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Good bronze from China is just as good as good bronze from the US. Bad bronze from China is just as bad as bad bronze from the US. Replace the two countries with any other and it's still true. What isn't true is that all bronze from the US is good. Again, you can replace "US" with any other country.
So.... find a better way of checking "good" or "bad" and better get used to items manufactured in countries where the economies are booming instead of the recessions in the west!

About the project of the OP: I would remove all and glass the hull. Easy enough to put the holesaw through again if needed later.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 15-03-2010, 12:45   #30

Quote:
it was bronze
I doubt it was corrision..Maybe electrolysis...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote