Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2017, 06:20   #16

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Small boat generators?

I used an 18" 12V radiator fan mounted in a piece of plywood with sliding bolts in a forward hatch to blow cooler air into the boat and it worked well. Had to run it from 6V because it blew in to much air and was too noisy and generally had to turn it off during the night as it was too cold in the V berth under it.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:27   #17

Boat: Hunter, Cherubini, 33

generac iq2000... about $700 and rate at 2kva , and 2db quieter than the Honda.. and cheaper
Tango_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:43   #18

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango_51 View Post
generac iq2000... about $700 and rate at 2kva , and 2db quieter than the Honda.. and cheaper
That's a good point. Excepting the obvious cheap knock offs only available online, a number of reputable manufacturers make 1k and 2k gas gens now (Honda, Ryobi, etc.). Anyone know if Honda's are really worth the premium? I've been thinking of acquiring one.
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:26   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Yanmar makes a few diferent small generators .
https://www.yanmar.com/us/product/ydg3700/
Yanmar YDG 2700 Diesel Generator
Old 10-03-2017, 09:43   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
93dB! Yikes; I hope no one uses one of those in an anchorage where I am (or anywhere within a couple of miles).

Construction site generators are not generally a good idea on a boat. Where do you store it? How do you lug it out of storage at 188 pounds? It will rust to dust if you leave it on deck. And they are extremely noisy -- certainly no one would leave one of those running overnight.

The Honda suitcase generators (and similar from other manufacturers) are much better choices, in my opinion.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:05   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
93dB! Yikes; I hope no one uses one of those in an anchorage where I am (or anywhere within a couple of miles).

Construction site generators are not generally a good idea on a boat. Where do you store it? How do you lug it out of storage at 188 pounds? It will rust to dust if you leave it on deck. And they are extremely noisy -- certainly no one would leave one of those running overnight.

The Honda suitcase generators (and similar from other manufacturers) are much better choices, in my opinion.
Never said they were light or quiet both of which can be delt with. Being diesel and your mains is diesel means you dont need to carry multiple fuels.
A better muffler will quiet the unit down considerably.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:21   #22

Good point raised! I never thought about it but it's almost always windier on the wate than it is in our campground where our RV is parked.

I'll start with 12v fans and do a few nights anchored out locally before I make a jump into any generator.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:55   #23

Boat: Sabre 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
Anyone know if Honda's are really worth the premium? I've been thinking of acquiring one.
I looked into this and went with the Honda. There aren't any remotely scientific studies of quality among the choices, so don't bother looking.

For me, I want a quality generator as it is a core component of my electric galley.* Having an issue while I'm out of the US will be expensive and will take time. The Honda is KNOWN to be dependable. It has proven itself over and over and over.

The others? They are fairly new and just starting to build track records. If I were in the US, I wouldn't have a problem saving the cash and trying something cheaper. Ditto if the generator was only used occasionally for charging or power tools (ie, no big deal if it didn't work for a week or two).

*fwiw, the Honda is not completely necessary... I can cook food if it does actually break.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:02   #24

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
I looked into this and went with the Honda. There aren't any remotely scientific studies of quality among the choices, so don't bother looking.

For me, I want a quality generator as it is a core component of my electric galley.* Having an issue while I'm out of the US will be expensive and will take time. The Honda is KNOWN to be dependable. It has proven itself over and over and over.

The others? They are fairly new and just starting to build track records. If I were in the US, I wouldn't have a problem saving the cash and trying something cheaper. Ditto if the generator was only used occasionally for charging or power tools (ie, no big deal if it didn't work for a week or two).

*fwiw, the Honda is not completely necessary... I can cook food if it does actually break.
That's a good point. Everyone does swear by them. I'm reminded of the Engel vs winter vs waeco, etc. debate where there really doesn't appear to be a ton of differentiation even down to some of the units using the same compressor, but when you want ice cream in the middle of the Atlantic ... Trust the one everyone has been using for multiple decades!

For my part, home depot has been the one feeding me advertisements for multiple different brands of 1k and 2k generators. Since home depot's warranty and return policy is so good, I might experiment with something cheaper as I'll be sticking to coastal US. I don't really need one, but was thinking it might be good to have after eliminating the diesel engine.
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:07   #25

Hella fans can make a big difference, are pretty quiet and use very little power.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, generator