Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-01-2014, 18:26   #1

Small boat camping

Hi everyone. I leave in Massachusetts and thinking about going to south Florida in February with my son ( 11 years old ) to spend time tent camping, fishing enjoying warm weather. Can anyone recommend a place, a state park or so with ocean access where we can bring our 19 ft power boat with us. I'm wondering if there are beaches in Florida where we can set up our tent and keep our boat anchored near us. Primitive camping sight is great too . Also there have to be a boat ramp and a place to park my truck and trailer for a week. It is ok if I have to pay a good money to camp or parking. Camping for a week together with my son is priceless.

Thanks,
Victor.

Old 08-01-2014, 18:42   #2

Re: Small boat camping

It may still be a bit chilly in February, but take a look at St. Andrews in Panama City. It's in the panhandle but I've camped there many times. There are several campsites that are right on the bay.

Old 08-01-2014, 18:44   #3

Several State Parks in the panhandle of Florida have tent camping and boat ramps .
Google Fl State Parks ! St. George Island , Rocky Bayou ,and several others , one at Panama City that I can not recall the name .
Old 08-01-2014, 19:04   #4

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Check into Matheson Hammock on Biscayne Bay if you can stay on the boat. No camping there. There might be some seasonal efficiency deals there and south towards Homestead. Fishing on the flats and patch reefs can be good and the bay is sheltered.

Not a lot of people camp down there. The bugs can make life tough. You would want to be in a camper off the ground or elevated pitch for a tent. Some seasons are no problem but if you hit it wrong it is misery. Be sure to ask.

Alternately, Flamingo Key (Everglades).
CAMPSITES NEAR FLAMINGO
Old 08-01-2014, 20:34   #5

Googled Fl. Parks and found spoil islands. Not bad place the problem is that it's first come first served. Just don't want to travel that far ended up watching those islands being taken by other camping folks.
Old 08-01-2014, 20:42   #6

Boat: CD25

Bahia Honda state park
Hard to get into in winter but it fits your needs
Dickerson state park just n. Of Jupiter is a nice place also
Check out reserve America.com they handle most state parks in the USA
Hope to see you there in Feb
Pete
Old 08-01-2014, 23:50   #7

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Victor, not sure if the weather will be warm enough but take at look at Long Point Campground just north of Sebastian Inlet. Less than $30 per day for a waterfront tent site with all the extras you listed in the OP.
The ocean can get a little rough during the winter and spring but the Indian River that the campground is located on offers some protected areas for boating and fishing.
For truly warm weather you will need to go further south and as you go further south your costs will rise exponentially.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:24   #8

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I was down in the Everglades recently and noticed a boat ramp that had access to the Thousand Islands. I know there are camping tiki platforms out there among the islands, so it may be worth looking into. (I've heard the bugs are quite nasty, but less so in the winter. . . .)

This from the Everglades national park website:

Boat Ramps

From the park's Homestead entrance, boat ramps are located at both West Lake (vessel and motor size restrictions apply) and Flamingo.

For access to the Ten Thousand Islands, boat ramps are located in Everglades City and Chokoloskee.

For access to Northeast Florida Bay there are ramps located in Monroe County, check the county website for details.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:08   #9

Boat: contessa 32

As above check out Chokoloskee and Everglades City ,all national park with legendary fishing. Tiki platforms in th glades will be mostly empty for camping and without charge.
I spent a memorable week there on my 19' sharpie, but this is wilderness with gators and even crocs (!) so call the park service for their pamphlets ,it will help with the needed planning. You tube has some good videos on this area too but will most likely experience some cold nites in Feb. (30s F.)but warming during the day.
I have extensive charts,fishing guides of this entire area that you are welcome to on for way south ....take Mass pike to NY thruway and am off exit 18 ;PM if interested..

....................luv you all......................mike..................... ....................
Old 09-01-2014, 09:29   #10

Boat: Newport 28 MKII

Bahia Honda State Park. Great ramp, place to store trailer, protected marina, campground and cabins, park covers the entire island, great fishing and beaches. They take reservations.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:52   #11

Boat: Catalina 34

We've stayed at St. Andrews SP near Panama City and enjoyed it. Good protected water in St. Andrews Bay and easy/close access to the Gulf.

We love Cayo Costa SP in Charlotte Harbor and highly recommend it. They have cabins and tent camping. Boats can be kept at the bayside dock overnight. Be aware - Cayo Costa is a primitive barrier island, so you'd be bring all your gear to the island on your boat. The fishing is good and the island is beautiful.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:58   #12

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
Bahia Honda State Park. Great ramp, place to store trailer, protected marina, campground and cabins, park covers the entire island, great fishing and beaches. They take reservations.
Steve, granted Bahia Honda is a great place but Victor wants to go this year. The reservation site shows no availability for tent sites until late April/early May. The costs for tent sites and a separate boat slip fee seems prohibitive, if you could even get one this late in the season.

ps; Steve, is your Newport for sale.
Old 09-01-2014, 20:11   #13

Thank You everybody ! I found one park that I like. It is a long point park near Jupiter inlet. Called them today they have two tent spots left for that week in February. I told my coworker today about how friendly people are on this website and willing to help. I told him how great you are everyone !!! Thanks again !!!

Victor.
Old 09-01-2014, 20:26   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Launch at homestead marina and head to Elliot key. Camp there and take day trips to Key Largo, Miami, etc.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:13   #15

It should be warmer at Elliot key since it's more south and I'm very interested. Where do we camp on it. Any spetial spots there ? Is it like a park more primitive area ?

Tags
Small boat camping

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: