Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2011, 13:11   #16
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Small boat blues

My last post looks a bit bleak on reading it back.

But what can I say? In my 6,000 posts here many of them have been about the lies people tell you that quality is all important and their version of quality is imho a fools dream. (Most of my posts are ignored by most people, but hell, I'm a dag, I just keep bashing my way through the opinions of life )

My honest opinion is to sell the boat you currently have and buy a larger boat which doesn't have your perception of 'quality'.
You will probably find a larger 'cheaper' boat is far better in real terms for your future happiness

By the way, if you can't afford a boat you rationaly goal set for then work a bit harder and save the dollars harder and you will acheive your goal quicker than you could believe

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 14:06   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

so ............... size DOES matter

Like Mark says those "quality" boats make pretty pictures when empty of you and your things. The comfort in my newer piece of crap boat, even with the extra couple of feet it has, is way beyound belief over my last higher quaity boat.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 14:26   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Small boat blues

27ft is small for 2 plus a dog... 2 people may have managed a good time but adding a dog was the death knell.......
37ft minimum is what you want... or get rid of the husband...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 15:08   #19

Boat: CS36 Traditional

Our first boat was 26' and we did inland cruising with two small kids and a dog. It was tight but workable except with it came to issues of capacity (water, holding tank, electricity, etc). I found with the small boat I was always envious of those with larger boats.

Having moved up to a larger 36' boat it is definitely more comfortable but is not a panacea. As pointed out by others, there are additional costs (i.e marina fees), greater complexity and parts are that much more expensive. Those are to be expected but one of the things that I found interesting is that it has changed the way we sail.

We actually sailed more on the first boat than we have with our current boat and that is partly due to having less confidence with the larger vessel. Lines are harder to pull, the sail more difficult to manage and docking is more challenging. I used to be able to easily sail single handed and feel fully in control but now that is more diffucult (in fact, I haven't sailed alone since we bought the new boat). There are also fewer places I can go (which may not be a consideration for you) due to the size and draft of the new boat.

I now find myself in that odd situation were I have some envy for those with smaller boats. I miss the easy handling (i.e. being able to do a controlled gybe without using a winch) and the affordablity. I also found that adding 10 feet LOA was huge at first but now it seems small again.

However, I would not want to go back so I guess that size does matter but size is not everything.

As for your situation. Getting rid of a boat is difficult, specially if you are living on it. People want to see a clean, un cluttered boat that they can imagine sailing away on.

My recommendation would be to look at how you store your supplies and use your space. Are there better ways to keep stuff accessible but still out of the way? Can you find new storage nooks and cranies (for example, we added plastic containers to be able to store food under the seats next to the bilge). Can you find other ways to store suppplies? (i.e. I had considered using car roof storage container to go above the companion way). Also, review what supplies you are carrying to determine if they are all required.

Getting a full enclosure (if you don't have one) could help improve your sense of living space. Do you have a furling? With us, we didn't so we also had to store a the sails.

Best of luck.
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 16:30   #20

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Some years ago we met a family of four cruising on a VAncouver 27. The kids were sub-teens, likely took up more space and food storage than even a 60 lb dog. They had made it through a couple of years and all the way from So Cal to NZed, and were showing no signs of quitting.

You could always tell their boat -- as soon as the hook was down, lots of stuff emerged from below and was heaped around the deck and cockpit. Untidy perhaps, but they were cool with it and having a ball.

My point is that a smallish boat can be successfully cruised over long distances if the occupants have the right attitude. Wouldn't work for me, though, and it might not work for you, and I don't think that opinions voiced here on CF will be very meaningful to your decision.

So, have you ever sailed on a larger boat (With or without Fido)? A couple of daysails or better, overnighters on say a 32-36 foot boat might help you understand what you would gain if you made the switch. Might be worth trying...

Good luck with it all,

Jim
Old 27-05-2011, 18:44   #21

Boat: Traditional 30

Sadly, It appears that you may have to rent a small house and work while you wait for the boat to sell. Its not going to sell easily with you living on it. Once its gone then buy the bigger boat.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 18:46   #22
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
27ft is small for 2 plus a dog... 2 people may have managed a good time but adding a dog was the death knell.......
37ft minimum is what you want... or get rid of the husband...
+5
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 03:06   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
go with what you got,you will be surprised with what is down the road,who knows there may be a single hander whos 35 ft boat is too big and wants to swap!!!! but if you never leave you will never find out........
Well how about a swop (possibly with cash) for this? had to do a double take when I saw the price. Nearly jumped on a plane with my cheque book and Alex or Boatman61 nearly got a holiday in NJ. You can only ask and haggle

1988 Jeanneau Sunrise Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

We nearly bought one btw, had crossed the pond twice but sadly the previous owner had made a real mess of it that aside would have been god choice for us and a 40kg labradoodle.

Pete
Attached Images

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 03:47   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Wow.... nice find there Pete... she looks well good for that price...
Your right... the guy may just go for the swop + cash... seems keen to sell

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 05:48   #25

Boat: O'Day 28

A dog story: a friend moved to Costa Rica. She had an attractive med size rescued mutt that was anxious and jumpy, presumably from abuse. The dog had been living in an apartment while the gal worked days. After long thought and agony she left the dog with her brother who wasn't eager but family is family.

The brother is a buddy of mine who lives and breathes boats. He is constantly in demand to fix this or deliver that. The dog goes everywhere with the guy. When he pulls up to a job, he just leaves the door open; the dogs comes and goes at will but is NEVER far away from the guy. The dog is welcome at every bar in town because she's so well behaved.

Pardon my belabored point: think about the friggin dog! You love the dog. The dog loves you. But betcha the dog doesn't love boat life. I don't want to get off on a rant here but damn, there's nothing for the dog in your scenario. Slippin and slidin on deck, always has to go too long between, ahem, potty breaks, no where to run. Loan out the dog for a year and go sailing. You have all the boat you need.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 06:27   #26

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Well how about a swop (possibly with cash) for this? had to do a double take when I saw the price. Nearly jumped on a plane with my cheque book and Alex or Boatman61 nearly got a holiday in NJ. You can only ask and haggle

1988 Jeanneau Sunrise Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

We nearly bought one btw, had crossed the pond twice but sadly the previous owner had made a real mess of it that aside would have been god choice for us and a 40kg labradoodle.

Pete
Maybe too late, listing says "sale pending" now.

But, there are plenty of good deals still out there. Look what another CF member just picked up at a fantastic price!

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post695675
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 08:12   #27

Boat: Sold our 1974 27' Ericson

We had made plans to give our dog to my husband's parents and we're sticking to them for months. However, just recently we've decided we can't give her up. She's a part of the family. I know she loves sailing and the dinghy rides, the dolphins, being with me 24/7. We didn't want to set out on our journey and have to sacrifice EVERY important thing out of our life (the second truck is gone, the house, everything we own, my job). We've decided that we love her enough to alter our original plans to make it more suitable for her.
Old 31-05-2011, 08:16   #28

Boat: Sold our 1974 27' Ericson

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
What can I say. I think: it was, 'less than a year ago' , as you said. I do not see this as a 'size' sort of issue. It may be, but more likely is that you are not cut out for this. Or else you sailed with the wrong mate, or with the wrong dog.

b.
Wrong on all counts. We've spent a good portion of our life being true backpackers. Something that even most sailors aren't capable of. I know we're cut out for this, in that regard. However, living in the wilderness on open spaces away from civilization is one thing; living in a confined 27' area next to hundreds of other people is another.

The mate and the dog are the other beings that I'd ever consider doing any other this with. I probably would have snuffed out anyone else.

Thanks for the post, but way off.
Old 31-05-2011, 08:26   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Small Boat Blues

had to get formosa 41 so i woudnt step on kat while he ate foodz--lol---- there is a compromise out there f or everyone----and an ericson 35mII for sale in san diego...LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 08:27   #30

Re: Small Boat Blues

Here's the thing on a crappy market for selling a boat, or house for that matter. Let's say you sell for 20% less that what the boat should be worth. The guy you're buying from is probably taking the same percentage of loss on his. So, as long as you're moving up in price range (and presumably in size as well), in actual dollars, you're coming out ahead.

But, selling a boat you're living on with the intention of buying another and living on it sounds like a pain to me unless you have someplace to live in between boats.

BTW, there are a couple 27 Ericson's at my marina and from the brief tour I got of one, I was impressed.
easterly38 is offline   Reply With Quote