Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2016, 21:03   #1

Sloop to Cutter

I have an Alberg 30. It is a sloop. I would like to switch it to a cutter rig I need to know how to anchor a retractable forstay in the foredeck somehow to the hull underneath so that the foredeck is not under excessive pressure. Has anybody got a set of plans, or a picture, or even a rough sketch of how they did it?
Merlin1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 21:19   #2

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Sloop to Cutter

I added a baby stay to my Morgan. It is attached to the chain locker bulkhead and the deck with an angle bracket backing plate.

R u adding running back stays?
Old 26-05-2016, 21:26   #3

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Re: Sloop to Cutter

On a test sail

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1464323102.420266.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	125014
Old 26-05-2016, 22:13   #4

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

do you have a v-berth forward?
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 22:29   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

On a previous boat I used matching 4 bolt padeyes, one above the deck and one below. On the lower one I used a dyneema lashing to a forward bulkhead.
Old 26-05-2016, 23:19   #6

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
On a previous boat I used matching 4 bolt padeyes, one above the deck and one below. On the lower one I used a dyneema lashing to a forward bulkhead.
Yeah, I did something similar on a a steel boat. Welded a few lugs on and I used a bottlescrew down to the keel area near the chainlocker bulkhead.

It was a bit cold on my feet when sleeping in the v berth, but I normally removed it all while coastal sailing.

I had some spectra runners as well. Probably not needed, with the aft lowers, but good piece of mind when offshore.
Old 27-05-2016, 00:29   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

You can also build a partial (height) bulkhead inside of the boat, to anchor the interior wire's tang to. Just glass it in place heavily.

On many boats, there's the option of adding a tang, or U-bolt to the inside of the stem. To which you connect the interior wire. Particularly if you add a bit of extra reinforcement to the stem, inside of the boat, where the tang/U-bolt will go. So that you have a flat mounting surface for it.

Plus some stainless steel backing on the hull's exterior, if the bolts are going to penetrate the hull/stem. Nothing huge, or necessarily very thick. But enough to avoid creating point loads around the ends of the bolt(s).

And if your chain locker bulkhead is in the right place, you can simply use it to anchor the tang to. With the tang penetrating the deck, so that the stay connects directly to it. Albeit, again, it'd pay to add some extra reinforcing tabbing to this bulkhead, where it meets the hull & the deck.

In terms of tensioning the stay there are a bunch of options:
- Hyfield Levers. Off the shelf type, custom made, or DIY versions
- Turnbuckles
- Multi-part purchases
And a few others.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 00:42   #8

Another option, or thing to think about, and you probably already have, is adding a solent type stay up to near the top of the mast. You can run a storm jib on it, and also a big light drifter for reaching or wing and wing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 27-05-2016, 02:10   #9

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Another option, or thing to think about, and you probably already have, is adding a solent type stay up to near the top of the mast. You can run a storm jib on it, and also a big light drifter for reaching or wing and wing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Good Point. Especially as a Solent Stay puts less strain on a lot of the various rig configurations out there. Plus which, there's no need for runners, unlike with your typical Cutter Stay.

Also, if you're so inclined, you can configure a Solent Stay, to work as both. Simply by setting up 2 tangs for the tack, in the appropriate places. And having an adjuster with suffficent range, to manage the small difference in length when you move the stay's tack.

The concept's more fully describe here, & in other spots in the thread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1559595

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 06:35   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

I would go twin padeyes on the deck and a length of spectra rope from the one below deck to a structural support attached to the bottom. At times part of forward bunk can be used with some mod and strengthening.

The spectra tie rod can be removed when not in use. It is tightened before you fix the new stay above.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 07:02   #11

I would be a mildly concerned with creep on a longer length of spectra if its used for long periods as a tie rod. It shouldn't be a massive problem, but it might be worth factoring this in, and overspecing it.
Old 27-05-2016, 13:51   #12

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
I would be a mildly concerned with creep on a longer length of spectra if its used for long periods as a tie rod. It shouldn't be a massive problem, but it might be worth factoring this in, and overspecing it.
Typically the spectra would be in the form of lashings. Creep isnt an issue with enough wraps.... At least is wasnt for us using 3/16 Amsteel with about 8 wraps through two Wichard 6506 padeyes.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 27-05-2016, 15:08   #13

Boat: None

Well, to be accurate, you'd have to move the mast aft into the center of the sail plan in order to have a cutter rig. You're really asking about adding a staysail to your sloop. But of course anymore, it seems like most people don't care about getting it correct, they just like saying "cutter" a lot. It's fashionable. The responses about adding a solent stay are wise ...

Caribbeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 15:13   #14

To add the staysail most seem to attach a chainplate to the anchor locker bulkhead between the V berth and locker.
Depending on how you intend to use the staysail, the Solent Rig might be good too.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 16:04   #15

Boat: Currently boatless

I used a wichard double folding padeye on deck and a matching "saddle" (wichard term--really a padeye) underneath. I put another padeye in the bulkhead aft of my anchor locker and used a turnbuckle to tie it to the deck and apply some preload.

Tags
cutter, sloop