Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2019, 15:04   #1

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 MkII
Slogging up the US wet coast

Left Long Beach a week ago yesterday. 7 fuel filters, a tattering mizzen sail, and our third stopover for parts. Surprisingly, not one marine shop, hardware store, nor anyone we have talked to knows what a propane solenoid is. So, lots of nuked meals thanks to the genset.

Not quite halfway, and the frequency of these waves really suck! We ran into 35 not winds for 18 hours just south of where we are staying over, Fort Bragg, CA.

Updates to come.
CptCrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 15:12   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Slogging up the US wet coast

rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 15:20   #3

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Boy Crunch, you're having a time of it. Hope you survive long enough to post an update.

PS: If you want to avoid the nuker, you might be able to bypass the solenoid (short term solution).

Cheers,
Old 13-05-2019, 15:24   #4

Ahh... the "friendly" coast! But hey, you are almost to the "graveyard of the pacific"!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 15:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCrunchie View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
We ran into 35 knot winds for 18 hours just south of where we are staying over, Fort Bragg, CA.

Updates to come.

Safe journey, I holed up there three years ago, for a week. Don't know if I sent this link to you before you left:

Trip from San Francisco to British Columbia & Bull Rails
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 15:43   #6

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Head out about 80 miles and miss all the crappy weather and other sailors to say nothing of rocks and reefs!
Watch for tanker traffic, though!
Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 17:02   #7

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yeah stay safe up there! I wonder if you are on your way to Crescent City by now.
The forecast isn't very friendly for that coast north of you next week, as I am sure you probably have seen too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 17:11   #8

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Slogging up the US wet coast

Hey Chrunchie, glad to hear you are still floating. How is the engine temperature doing? Did the cleaned out heat exchanger solve that problem? Sounds as though you are having a tough slog of it making your northing. Tough that the mizzen took a beating. What are you doing now for steadying? How are the fixed ports in the cabin holding up? Are you going into Humboldt or Klamath or just pushing on to Olympia? Whatever you decide I hope you have easier weather from here on. Looks like you may get a few days of favorable winds now.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 08:59   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdazey View Post
Boy Crunch, you're having a time of it. Hope you survive long enough to post an update.

PS: If you want to avoid the nuker, you might be able to bypass the solenoid (short term solution).

Cheers,

My solenoid would corrode and fail every couple of years, so I finally made it's elimination (bypass) permanent. Doesn't relieve you of the responsibility of turning on and off the valve at the tank!!!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 09:05   #10

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Sloop

I made the same beat up the coast to Washington exactly one year ago so I have a pretty good idea what you're experiencing. I bypassed Fort Bragg (Noyo) as I heard the fuel dock there shut down and went straight through from Bodega Bay to Eureka.

Englund Marine Supply should have any parts you need and they're just a short hop across the bridge from the marina in Eureka.

If you plan to layover at all be sure to keep an eye out for crab pots when you're back underway. They present quite an obstacle course the further north you go. Not much of a danger to my boat-the hull shape and a skeg hung rudder do a pretty good job of bouncing the pots off to port or starboard but I saw a lot of boats with fouled props waiting for divers to show up.

Let me know if you want or need more info about what lays ahead for you and I'll be happy to provide whatever info I can.

Bon Voyage,

Doug
CommodoreDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 09:15   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If you don't already have this small book, might want to get it. Authored by a guy who cruised the coast in a small sailboat with passages between anchorages usually not more than 40 miles. http://georgebenson.us/sailing/
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 09:23   #12

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommodoreDoug View Post
If you plan to layover at all be sure to keep an eye out for crab pots when you're back underway. They present quite an obstacle course the further north you go. Not much of a danger to my boat-the hull shape and a skeg hung rudder do a pretty good job of bouncing the pots off to port or starboard but I saw a lot of boats with fouled props waiting for divers to show up.
There is a reason why many of us around here have line cutters on our prop shafts.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 10:15   #13

Just as a suggestion for cooking, we have a spare portable burner that runs on butane. Lightweight easy and we can get through a couple meals on one can of butane. Beats running the generator. I see them (as well as cans of butane) in grocery, hardware and camping stores. I’m wondering if a decent marina might carry them. Anyway, good luck with your journey!
svigue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 10:36   #14

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
If you don't already have this small book, might want to get it. Authored by a guy who cruised the coast in a small sailboat with passages between anchorages usually not more than 40 miles. http://georgebenson.us/sailing/
And then there is Cruising the Northwest: A Practical Guide for the Pacific Coast Boater by Don Holm. An old favorite of mine.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 10:50   #15
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCrunchie View Post
Left Long Beach a week ago yesterday. 7 fuel filters, a tattering mizzen sail, and our third stopover for parts. Surprisingly, not one marine shop, hardware store, nor anyone we have talked to knows what a propane solenoid is. So, lots of nuked meals thanks to the genset.

Not quite halfway, and the frequency of these waves really suck! We ran into 35 not winds for 18 hours just south of where we are staying over, Fort Bragg, CA.

Updates to come.
I have a neighbor who built a 57' in LA and did that same journey many years ago...that boat hasn't traveled offshore since. Your traveling a little early in the season for that route. Sounds like your fuel tanks/fuel need to be cleaned while you wait for better weather.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote