Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2019, 11:48   #16

Boat: Baba 40
Thumbs up Re: Slogging up the US wet coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
I have a neighbor who built a 57' in LA and did that same journey many years ago...that boat hasn't traveled offshore since. Your traveling a little early in the season for that route. Sounds like your fuel tanks/fuel need to be cleaned while you wait for better weather.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
Seven fuel filters? Sounds like he’s cleaning the tanks just fine. I appreciate multitasking!
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 13:01   #17

Re: Slogging up the US wet coast

There is a reason why educated cruisers go north via Cabo San Lucas and then to Hawaii to get to northern latitudes !!! Down wind is MOST aLways more comfortable !!!
I wish you "Fair Winds" but you will doubtfully find following seas !!!

GooD Luck
Imagineou812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 13:25   #18

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 MkII

Still stuck at the dock in Fort Bragg, California. I have a water pump">raw water pump issue, the one that feeds the heat exchanger. It’s a Jabsco, can’t find any number on it. Phone the number of companies, no one seems to know what it is. Anyone know what this is or where I can get parts?

The keyway. Is toast, taking both slots. The pulley is flopping against the hoses. I need either a rebuild kit, or a whole new water pump. Any help where I can get one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A1CA1CB1-30B3-4AA9-8237-F3438F0AABC0.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	415.8 KB
ID:	192058   Click image for larger version

Name:	0E351944-12DA-42E5-872B-EA0D244B9763.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	417.7 KB
ID:	192059  

Click image for larger version

Name:	01A54034-77DC-4D9C-B6D5-ECD56BA7656C.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	192060  
CptCrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 15:07   #19

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

My condolences. Can't help, but I feel your pain. Hope things get better for you once you round Cape Mendocino, we felt very relieved after that one. I'm glad I did that trip but don't want to do it again. We left Ventura April 12th for the trip north, took a few weeks. Stopped at Bodega Bay, Eureka and then Newport but we did it in an ex swordfish boat with a single Ford Lehman so was kind of cheating. I did not like having just a single engine with no sails but it never missed a beat and had a very good filtration system.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 15:15   #20

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Sorry to hear of the trouble. I can’t help you on the pump but maybe give us a little more info. What engine is this? Model #? And can’t make out the number on the pulley there. There must be someone here who knows how to get you a rebuild kit or new one soon! How’s the weather there?
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 15:29   #21

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCrunchie View Post
Still stuck at the dock in Fort Bragg, California. I have a raw water pump issue, the one that feeds the heat exchanger. It’s a Jabsco, can’t find any number on it. Phone the number of companies, no one seems to know what it is. Anyone know what this is or where I can get parts?

The keyway. Is toast, taking both slots. The pulley is flopping against the hoses. I need either a rebuild kit, or a whole new water pump. Any help where I can get one?
You'll need to offer up some more data for anyone to help on identifying the pump - engine type, etc.
You can browse a lot of pumps here
https://www.pumpagents.com/
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 16:08   #22

Joyous spring weather.

Along the coast:
16NM SSW Fort Bragg CA
Marine Zone Forecast

Synopsis: Southerly winds and combined seas will begin to increase Wednesday afternoon ahead of an approaching cold front. Several additional systems will approach the area leading to stronger winds and bigger seas through the weekend. Seas will be primarily dominated by a fresh westerly swell, but southerly short period wind waves and long period swell will contribute to combined seas.

Tonight S winds 5 to 10 kt. Waves W 4 ft at 12 seconds...and SW 4 ft at 17 seconds. Scattered showers, then rain likely.
Wed SE winds 10 to 20 kt. Waves SE 7 ft at 8 seconds...and SW 4 ft at 18 seconds. Rain.
Wed Night S winds 15 to 25 kt. Waves SW 10 ft at 8 seconds... And SW 4 ft at 16 seconds. Rain.
Thu SE winds 15 to 25 kt. Waves W 14 ft at 10 seconds...and SW 3 ft at 16 seconds.
Thu Night NW winds 5 to 15 kt. Waves W 13 ft at 9 seconds... And SW 3 ft at 15 seconds.
Fri S winds 5 to 10 kt. Waves NW 6 ft at 10 seconds...and SW 2 ft at 15 seconds.

Further out to sea:

63NM SSW Eureka CA
Marine Zone Forecast
...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING

Synopsis: Southerly winds and combined seas will begin to increase Wednesday afternoon ahead of an approaching cold front. Several additional systems will approach the area leading to stronger winds and bigger seas through the weekend. Seas will be primarily dominated by a fresh westerly swell, but southerly short period wind waves and long period swell will contribute to combined seas.

Tonight SE winds 5 to 15 kt. Waves W 4 ft at 10 seconds... And S 4 ft at 17 seconds. Numerous showers, then rain.
Wed SE winds 10 to 20 kt...rising to 20 to 25 kt. Waves SE 7 ft at 8 seconds...and S 4 ft at 18 seconds. Rain.
Wed Night S winds 20 to 25 kt with gusts to around 35 kt. Waves SW 12 ft at 9 seconds...and S 3 ft at 16 seconds. Rain likely.
Thu S winds 15 to 25 kt. Waves W 15 ft at 10 seconds...and SW 3 ft at 16 seconds.
Thu Night NW winds 15 to 20 kt. Waves W 13 ft at 9 seconds... And S 3 ft at 15 seconds.
Fri S winds 5 to 10 kt. Waves NW 6 ft at 10 seconds...and S 2 ft at 15 seconds.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 16:44   #23

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yeah I'm guessing yer seeing that, and maybe a little glad yer not out in it right now... is there good southerly protection where you are?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 18:40   #24

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
If you don't already have this small book, might want to get it. Authored by a guy who cruised the coast in a small sailboat with passages between anchorages usually not more than 40 miles. http://georgebenson.us/sailing/
^^^^ This. ^^^^

Before we left Friday Harbor, WA, heading down the US west coast we had the chance to speak with George (and bought his book). That greatly increased our enjoyment and eased our way, especially along the Oregon coastline. Highly recommended.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 19:12   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Joyous spring weather.

Along the coast:
16NM SSW Fort Bragg CA
Marine Zone Forecast

Tonight S winds 5 to 10 kt. Waves W 4 ft at 12 seconds...and SW 4 ft at 17 seconds. Scattered showers, then rain likely.
Wed SE winds 10 to 20 kt. Waves SE 7 ft at 8 seconds...and SW 4 ft at 18 seconds. Rain.
Wed Night S winds 15 to 25 kt. Waves SW 10 ft at 8 seconds... And SW 4 ft at 16 seconds. Rain.
Thu SE winds 15 to 25 kt. Waves W 14 ft at 10 seconds...and SW 3 ft at 16 seconds.
Thu Night NW winds 5 to 15 kt. Waves W 13 ft at 9 seconds... And SW 3 ft at 15 seconds.
Fri S winds 5 to 10 kt. Waves NW 6 ft at 10 seconds...and SW 2 ft at 15 seconds.

Further out to sea:

63NM SSW Eureka CA
Marine Zone Forecast
...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY MORNING

Tonight SE winds 5 to 15 kt. Waves W 4 ft at 10 seconds... And S 4 ft at 17 seconds. Numerous showers, then rain.
Wed SE winds 10 to 20 kt...rising to 20 to 25 kt. Waves SE 7 ft at 8 seconds...and S 4 ft at 18 seconds. Rain.
Wed Night S winds 20 to 25 kt with gusts to around 35 kt. Waves SW 12 ft at 9 seconds...and S 3 ft at 16 seconds. Rain likely.
Thu S winds 15 to 25 kt. Waves W 15 ft at 10 seconds...and SW 3 ft at 16 seconds.
Thu Night NW winds 15 to 20 kt. Waves W 13 ft at 9 seconds... And S 3 ft at 15 seconds.
Fri S winds 5 to 10 kt. Waves NW 6 ft at 10 seconds...and S 2 ft at 15 seconds.
All good sailing weather to me. Thanks for the report. It will be blocked around a little bit, but we face bigger season bigger ones than those already.
Old 14-05-2019, 19:20   #26

For those of you who don’t really know me, let me say that I have done a lot of big blue water. We bought this boat as a bit of a project boat, and her only desire right now is to get it home. To do that, we need to motor our way up the coast.

It needs some work before I am willing to take this that for offshore. Quite honestly, this boat is doing awesome through what we’re going through. The problems that I’m having our from a Lack of maintenance done on it over the last three years. I knew that when I bought it. Hell, I’ve even got wire knots on some of the electrical. That doesn’t concern me.

I did not expect the raw water pump to go out, but if it was going to happen, I am delighted that I discovered it While on a slip. My only hope now is that the sure flow water pump, the same kind that they use for a deck wash, will hold out. I’m pretty sure the continuous cycle, but I guess proof will be in the putting.

We also both have all the safety gear you would ever walk for big water cruising. 90% of it is new. No worries here.

I’ve also brought lots of canned goods, as in home canned goods. We are far from losing weight on this voyage from lack of eating. The no propane is an inconvenience, but one we can easily deal with. Before I left, I bought wifey one of these little egg cookers, 350 W. Cooks eggs perfectly in about seven minutes. So, since we have 10 dozen eggs, life is good .

More updates to follow.
Old 15-05-2019, 08:47   #27

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Whats you scedual? Weather will probably be much better in about a month as the pacific high moves north and summer arrives in the Gulf og Alaska. Good luck with the repairs, at least you are somewhere that has chandleries!!
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 08:48   #28

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

Were you in Bodega Bay on Monday waiting for fuel? If you were I talked to your wife in the marina office. I have a 12v circulator pump ( for solar hot water ) that might work as a backup but I do not know what the flow rate is.
NorthCoastJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 14:55   #29

Weather system seems to be worsening. Hope you are still in Bodega Bay avoiding the gale and can locate a replacement part, perhaps Amazon same day express delivered at sea, The gales north to and beyond Cape Mendocino are presently harsh with 20 foot seas. Well at least you aren't receiving the one to two feet of snow that is expected in the Sierra's.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 08:11   #30

Boat: Casacde 36

Try an RV store for that solenoid. FYI, the one just south of PT is a good source, knowledgeable and helpful too.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote