Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2017, 12:45   #16

Re: Slips in south florida are expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Some spots are too far from inlets and thus are less desirable and also being farther away from the ocean are more stuffy in hot weather. But if the use is intermittent perhaps that would be a good compromise. But I would find it very inconvenient and burdensome to shlep daily 1+hr or longer each way for a day sail. But if I come down to the boat once a month or two and do a multi-day sail to the Bahamas or Keys then such longish shlep to an inlet would be OK. Not ideal but OK. I would still get myself on a waiting list for a more convenient dock.
Yeah, pretty true. Even Lauderdale takes quite a while to get out unless you are right near the basin. I'd say 1-1.5 hours from Las Olas area? Cant remember for sure.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:58   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yeah, pretty true. Even Lauderdale takes quite a while to get out unless you are right near the basin. I'd say 1-1.5 hours from Las Olas area? Cant remember for sure.
Yes, with all the bridge waits at least as much. I am still up in the air about this requirement as my g/f gets seasick once out of the inlets. So she will be pressuring me for the scenic canal only travel. My FL sailing buddies would want something more exciting than that. And personally I am good either way as long as I'm on the water in FL in the middle of New England winter.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 13:18   #18

Boat: Able 50

Outrageous ? Nah ! Come to New England sometime where $25/foot is considered cheap. I pay $35. Docking in Newport costs up to $160.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 13:43   #19
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

I rent docks in Fort Lauderdale.
(Do a quick Forum search, this has been discussed several times in the past)

Going rate in my neighborhood is $12.00 per foot per month.
No live aboard, boat storage only.
1 hour from the ocean: Citrus Isles, zip code 33315. Good hurricane hole.
No A/C needed even in the summer, but ventilation and a fan running 24/7 is necessary to avoid mildew problems. Power for a fan and trickle charging of batteries runs about $10 per month.

For liveaboard slips check out Hendricks Isle and Isle of Venice.
Not sure what the rates are now, but last time I had boats there it was about $800 per month, including car parking, showers and pump-out.
Old 12-04-2017, 17:59   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Yes, with all the bridge waits at least as much. I am still up in the air about this requirement as my g/f gets seasick once out of the inlets. So she will be pressuring me for the scenic canal only travel. My FL sailing buddies would want something more exciting than that. And personally I am good either way as long as I'm on the water in FL in the middle of New England winter.
Your GF will get seasick in The Ft Laud to Pompano Bch ICW as there is no speed limit and its full of MANIAC boaters going like hell
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 05:08   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

http://www.waterfronttimes.com/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 06:48   #22

Think about a mooring. There is a mooring field south of Peanut Island.
Glerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 07:58   #23

Boat: Hunter 33.5

Google and read, " The Waterfront Times", Broward County docks advertised monthly...............
tdh1849 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 07:59   #24

We are at Riviera Beach Marina, one of the Loggerhead sites. It's great, yes, pricey, but 5 minutes out the Lake Worth Inlet. We were at Loggerhead Stuart, which was also great, but our keel was on bottom at low tide. No depth issues at RBM. I checked everywhere in Palm Beach County... can't say enough about how great the Loggerhead facilities are.
fortyninegroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 07:59   #25

Boat: Boatless

Loggerhead in Stuart we liked, pay the wee extra to be on the N Dock by the pool. Insurance was 1000.00 year LESS up there as opposed to Broward. (That was a surprise)

We also did the behind a house deal in Pompano. Was a little better deal but the insurance wiped that out.

The other thing about the behind house thing is the homeowner. You have to interact with them and hanging out in your cockpit for the weekend having friends over can be weird :-)

No A/C on a canal in S FL in the summer, sure, give that a try ;-)

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 08:11   #26

Have a house in Cape Coral and in Houston. Weather is the same. I keep the hatches cracked and two fans blowing. No problems with mildew or odor and the boat is forty years old.

Slips on the Gulf side are a lot cheaper depending on what amenities you want, Pool, BBQ, floating docks, etc. For a slip with Power and water in that size range the cost should be more like $300 a month plus electric. On the east coast you may have to get out of the urban zone and into the wilds a bit.

We have used google earth to search areas, marinas are pretty easy to spot...boats dont look like anything else. Once founbd they are often tagged with names and can be called. We did that to plan the coastal hugging crossing from Ft. Myers to Houston and it worked great.
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 08:12   #27

Boat: Catalina 470

You should be able to find docks in South Florida as low as $10-12/ft/month. I'm in Fort Lauderdale, on the south fork of the New River, paying $500/month for a 46ft boat, including electricity and water. I don't run my aircon 24/7, but do run a dehumidifier.

Try Dock Search.com - Boat docks, slip, dockage for rent classifieds. to find private docks for rent. I found my current dock through someone right here on CF, but my previous dock through that website.

Good luck!

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 08:39   #28

Boat: Tayana 37

Eric,
Another option you may want to consider is putting your boat on a mooring. My boat is about a half mile south of peanut island. Costs me $200/month. I also belong to the Palm Beach Sailing Club, which is at the end of 45th St. where I keep my dinghy. Very family friendly and they have a great youth sailing program, if you have kids. ASA instructor also for adults.
No moisture problems with just dorade ventilation. And location is very convenient with easy access to the ocean.
Ken
freelandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 08:57   #29

Boat: CHB, 1981 Trawler, 41'

Try Ft. Pierce, Florida
Santana2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 09:17   #30

Boat: Freedom 32'

You might try docksearch.com. Sometimes private will list there. Many times the private don't have water and elec hook up.

Tags
florida