Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2019, 18:25   #16

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat
Re: Slip rental in Socal

"The Log" newspaper publishes a list of pretty much all the marinas in So Cal. Probably available online. Used to include pricing info.

Big part is what are you going to do with the boat. Some locations much easier for some uses.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 19:20   #17

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontide View Post
"The Log" newspaper publishes a list of pretty much all the marinas in So Cal. Probably available online. Used to include pricing info.

Big part is what are you going to do with the boat. Some locations much easier for some uses.
Here's the link to the digital edition Moontide mentioned it covers the whole west coast, MDR is a little hectic for my tastes and I'm a native.
https://www.thelog.com/digital_editi...gital-edition/
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 20:20   #18

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I second checking into Ventura and Channel Islands Harbor. I know there are 30 foot slips open in Peninsula Yacht Marina in Channel Islands but I am not sure about 35'. I think there are a couple side ties open on the east side. If you want to live aboard you'll need a 35 foot boat minimum. I did not need a survey with my boat since they already knew it, but I believe a survey and proof of insurance is pretty standard everywhere. My 29' costs me $365/mo at Peninsula. There are other marinas in the harbor so I'd give them all a call. Ventura had some availabilities a few months ago too. Ventura is going through some big additions and fixing up. As mentioned, we have some nice islands to visit from here too.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 08:57   #19

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

This dialog makes me realize how expensive south Florida is. We're in a Miami municipal marina paying $1107/mo. including tax, water and electricity. We're non-liveaboard, 47 feet.
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 11:29   #20

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

Utah~
As many have mentioned, there are a lot of deciding factors as to which marina to look at. Weather north of Marina Del Rey ( Channel Islands, Ventura, Santa Barbara, Moro Bay are much colder and wetter winters than anything south of LA.
San Pedro, Wilmington, Long Beach, Los Alamitos are all within a 10 mile radius and there are at least 15 marinas to look at there. Wilmington cheapest and Long Beach most expensive. Live aboards are not allowed at most but "sneak aboards"( living aboard illegally ) are sometimes tolerated.
San Diego , Oceanside, Dana Point, Newport Beach are the southern marinas with San Diego easiest to get into and cheapest. Warm winter days are common unlike the both of LA marinas. There are 22 marinas and shipyards that berth boats. $10 to $15 a foot is common in San Diego and there are protected moorings for much less. Living aboard is much more common there and prices for food and goods much cheaper than further north. Parking is easily provided at most marinas for no extra charge and the bay itself is an interrresting sailing area. Anchor in front of "Humphries" and listen to top name entertainment for free.
Overcast and dampness are rare where the Ventura and north marinas are even overcast and foggy in the summer.
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 11:00   #21

Thanks for all of the replies. I currently live in Utah but with an airline job I can fly for free into SAN, LGB, and LAX. And SBA but that's a little harder to get to.. I may take a transfer to work out of either LAX or SAN. Formerly an Orange County resident.
Utah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 11:51   #22

I realize I'm a little late to this party but I want to add a little perspective to the LA Harbor marina environment. 21 years of owning boats in that area (1978 - 1999) with slips in Long Beach, Alamitos Bay, Wilmington, and lastly San Pedro.

Far and away the funnest experience was in Wilmington in the marina next to Yacht Haven. The reason? It was the people at the docks including the folks from Yacht Haven. Alamitos Bay and San Pedro were much 'nicer' marinas, but they were 'dead' in the sense that too many boats were just slip queens rarely visited by the owners and hence people to people interactions were less. A good marina, for my purposes at least, should have a lot of comradery among the tenants making for a pleasant experience while at the dock. For some that is not a criteria, but for other it makes a huge difference.

I also realize this is an extremely dated perspective from decades ago, but human nature hasn't changed in that time frame although the marina to marina situations may have changed.

So my point is this... don't be put off by the back-water locations of some of the marinas in the harbor, they may prove to be a better and less expensive alternative than a 'nice' marina where concern about who has the biggest swinging stick is important. I've met far too many of those types in those 'nice' marinas and I've met tons of great people in the back-water marinas. YMMV.
Shenandoah52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 12:09   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah1 View Post
First time poster checking in with a question. I'm in the early stages of possibly buying a sailboat. Perhaps something in the 35' range. I'm thinking I'd keep the boat in southern California, but need an education on where might be the best place to keep it. Can anyone help with this? Prices, waiting list, etc..

Do all of the marinas have waiting list? Cheapest to most expensive? If you buy a boat, is there anyway the slip rental might transfer with the purchase or are you kicked out of the marina if there isn't an open slip?

Depends on what you want to do, live abord or just sailing.
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 12:13   #24

Slip rental in Socal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah1 View Post
Thanks for all of the replies. I currently live in Utah but with an airline job I can fly for free into SAN, LGB, and LAX. And SBA but that's a little harder to get to.. I may take a transfer to work out of either LAX or SAN. Formerly an Orange County resident.

35 footer or bigger is now very common size in MDR, very hard to find 30, 32, 33 or less in MDR.
In SAN, some of Marina’s are close to the airport, also MDR.
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 17:18   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
You don’t mention any plans to live aboard. If you do, that really changes your options radically.
I figured that was the case - but how does one go about getting on the waiting list when one doesn't own a boat, yet?

Thank you!
Tellyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 20:04   #26

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

That will vary from one marina to another. Some marinas don't have a wait list for liveaboards, and some basically don't have any liveaboards at all. You mentioned Santa Barbara, but that's even worse, you have buy the slip there.

If you want to live aboard and work out of LAX, L.A. harbor is likely your best bet, and they have lien sail boats pretty regularly, so if you're lucky you could solve both issues at once.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal