Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2009, 13:46   #16

Boat: Fantasia 35
Liam,

What I want to know is what is wrong with your lady? Why the heck would anyone want to waist even a minute of their youth working instead of going cruising with someone they love. It makes no sense! Tell her to take a year off and see what happens. My bet would be that she turns into the energizer-bunny and just keeps going and going.

Best of luck,

Paul
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 14:43   #17

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
What’s the thought around tan sails..I imagine its visibility, but seems white would be better?...I hadn’t heard that before?
Rescue orange would be better yet. But not many can stand rescue orange sails.

Dark sails are better visible distance off. Red/orange/saturated yellow hulls too. Note a white sailed boat going under a colored kite - which sail will you see first?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 14:49   #18

Boat: a sailing boat
Shipping did not seem a major issue in our case, offshore. Close up with the shore ships are common and I would use whatever support can be had - radar detector (CARD type), AIS detector (MarVeille type), active echo (SeaMe type) and one of those new HD radars (money permitting).

My thinking - get max rest/sleep=get max support from whatever can warn me of an incoming ship.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 17:12   #19

Boat: Swan 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Wald View Post

I would like to hear from any singlehanders about their experiences and recomendations.
For me sailing alone is really good for the soul. It gives yourself time to sit down without any interference and think long and hard about life, the universe and everything. It is something well worth doing.

The flip side to that is that after a while you get really bored with your own company (at least I do) and I would imagine that after a long period alone one would be quite...err..what's the word......I'll choose 'eccentric' and hopefully not offend anyone...

Company is good and there are people lining up to get on a boat - I use findacrew.com when I go. Have met some really interesting people that way - some of who I still talk to...

I personally don't go offshore alone. That decision is driven by the fact that my cruising grounds are relatively busy and full of craft that don't show up on radar or AIS (timber fishing boats for the most part). If you are happy offshore alone, go for it, if not - get crew or line up friends for when you need to do the bigger jumps.

For the most part cruising a particular area will involve day trips with perhaps the odd overnighter. All of which do not pose huge problems for someone comfortable with being on their own on a boat.
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2009, 17:19   #20

Boat: Swan 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Rescue orange would be better yet. But not many can stand rescue orange sails.
b.
No kidding!!! sailing under stormsail and trysail - the whole world goes orange and then the purple blotches before the eyes start.....
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote