Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-02-2007, 02:16   #16

I single hand my Lagoon 37 cat most of the time. I don't require help at the dock and prefer not to have it. Of course having 2 engines seperated by a 20 foot beam is a big plus over docking a single screw monohull without a bow thruster.

Running all the lines to the cockpit, and the autopilot is the key to sailing single handed. I even fly the spinnaker as I don't require a pole, the width of the bows are sufficient. As's not the size of the boat but how it is set up.

Kapena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2007, 13:34   #17

Boat: To be determined
Send a message via MSN to RichT
Advice on setting up the boat

Hi all,

Have been reading as much as possible, but only so many hours in the day, so I'm relying on folks here to help. Figure with all the things folks here have already read and experienced, you're way ahead of where I'll ever be.

Good news is that it appears my lymphoma is treatable. According to the docs, and prognosis indicators, I have a 63% chance of still being around in 5 years. Yeah, but that still isn't a lot of time, so need to expedite my plans if at all possible.

I've read here, looked at boats, thought a lot about what I want to do, in terms of where I'll go, how I'll live, and so far have only come to a few conclusions. Although I appreciate all the rationale, reasonings, and advice of the forum here, I just don't think I would be comfortable on anything less than 40 foot or so. I LIKE SPACE. And, if I'm going to be living on it for an extended time, some time cruising, some time just spent tied up or anchored while I explore various places I might land, I want to be able to take a certain amount of stuff with me, not the kind of stuff you replenish, but the kinds of things I'm used to having around. Music, books, clothes,i.e. more than 2 pairs of shorts, or a half dozen t shirts, etc.

So, I'm concentrating on boats between 40 and 50 feet. Seriously looking at a Transpac 49, which is already in the VI. That brings up the single handing issue. I'll be traveling either alone, or possibly with a non sailor companion, who, although willing, is only 5', and about hundred pounds. Obviously she isn't going to tackle sail changes in heavy weather

Several on here have said the best 2 items for single handing are 1) reliable autopilot, and 2) roller furling jib. So, those I definitely plan on. To add to that, several have said a cutter rig is a good set up. So, a few questions,

What do you guys, and gals, think is the best overall set up? Taking in mind the following, ease of operation, reasonable flexibility and comprimise, I'm not a racer, and in no hurry, but want a boat to respond well in bad weather, and light winds. Having all lines led to the cockpit, eliminating the need to go forward in bad weather would be ideal. One fellow recommended to me a self tending set up for the forward staysail. What about the main? Is in mast or in boom furling really helpful. If so, it would be worth the money to me. Seems to me that a bow thruster, although expensive, would really help docking in crowded slips, and/or rough seas, high wind days. Thoughts? Any other ideas that would make it easier to handle the boat by myself. I know Elusibe does a good job by himself, and several others on here have said they single hand craft in the 45'+ range quite regularly.

Sorry to run on for so long, just trying to get all the input and advice I can before making the leap of faith. Thanks to all.

RichT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: