Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2014, 14:39   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Single handing no AIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
There would be what, 1,000th the number of ships on the ocean at that time. Probably even fewer vessels than that. And the biggest would be what, 1/2 the size of a small ocean going cargo vessel. These numbers are of course wild ass guesses, but they serve to point out that to use Joshua Slocum as an example to follow is really not valid in today's world.
Interesting to note that Slocum disappeared without a trace on his last solo sail. Of course no one will ever know but speculation at the time, based on the voyage planned that would cross busy (at least busy for the time)shipping lanes is that he was run down by a steamer.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 16:03   #17
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

The Luddites ate in fine fettle
Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 21-07-2014, 16:15   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

My opinion, get an AIS transceiver. Money well spent.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 16:17   #19

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The Luddites ate in fine fettle
Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Luddite? www.thesimplesailor.com/
Old 21-07-2014, 17:12   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeftxM View Post
Well I'd like to be seen as well.. Probably mostly coastal crusing single handed from Tampa to New Orleans. Was thinking of going from Tampa to Panama City on to mobile etc.. Just was thinking a small 1-2 hour nap from time to time would be nice but for the most part I'd sleep at anchor. At some point in the not too distant future I plan on making around a 10 day open ocean passage and more distant 15-25 days
The idea that an AIS transceiver will let people see and avoid you is like relying on a satphone for medical advice.

Are you gonna sue the AIS maker when you get run over?

Please don't single hand and sleep for 2 hours underway.

And for anyone on this thread suggesting this is a good idea - shame on ya!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 17:39   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I agree Dan
The risks to single handed sailing offshore have increased exponentially these days.

Apart from the increase in traffic, with the advent of GPS, the Sea lanes are now much narrower with vessels all following and passing each other within 1nm (mid-ocean).

If I were a solo sailed making an ocean passage...I would first tack way of course of the efficient lanes and would have plotted the intersect lanes from different ports to alert me of high danger areas.

But to be honest...I would not want to solo sail any more...... Too many ships out there now.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 18:04   #22

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
.. I was out on San Pablo Bay yesterday, 2 hour motor cruise from one end of the Bay to the other. Only two other boats out sailing that morning (in addition to the other two boats in our little flotilla). There's something strange about sailboats: they tend to act like magnets, and NOT babe magnets!!! Sure engough, about halfway down the Bay, I had to dodge BOTH of the sailing sailboats. It just happens - you and ONE OTHER boat are out on a Tuesday afternoon, everyone else is working (!!!) and BAM, you end up crossing tacks on an EMPTY bay. Happens all the time.

Use whatever will aid in your safe passage.
It's easy to avoid ships in San Pablo Bay as they are confined to a narrow channel which is forbidden to smaller boats to enter or cross. Nevertheless, there are 36-knot ferries, tugboats, and pleasure craft on the south side of the channel. Despite the apparent vastness of the bay, I've had to make maneuvers to avoid traffic there. Definitely not some place for the helmsman to take a nap despite the apparent lack of traffic.

Old 21-07-2014, 18:06   #23

The best tools are your eyes and ears. Having said that I think AIS is a very useful tool in coastal cruising where you might encounter some of the big boys or just Tugs and barges. It won't help with the gold chain wearing powerboat owner who sets his autopilot and goes below to watch the game for a few minutes. That said and AIS transceiver will give you and the big boats peace of mind in congested waterways with data that shows that you will or will not collide and whether you need to make a course correction or not well in advance of a close quarters situation. There is enough to worry about when underway and AIS takes away some of that anxiety for both boats that are equipped with it. Then you can concentrate on the others out there who are without it. It's not necessary to have AIS but, it is a helpful tool. I'm glad I have it.
Old 21-07-2014, 18:09   #24

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
... There's something strange about sailboats: they tend to act like magnets, and NOT babe magnets!!! ...
Darn right! It's not uncommon for sailboats to tack or jibe to adjust to an intersectng course toward me even though there is no apparent, legitimate navigational reason (and in this case, perpendicular to the race-course rhumb line.)

Old 21-07-2014, 22:19   #25

Boat: s/v Urraco S&S Swan 37 (copy)

I sail my 37' sloop single handed most of the time but only coastal New Zealand to this point. We do have some tricky stretches of water and quite a lot of international and coastal shipping, to say nothing of a significant fishing fleet who tend not to have their AIS switched on to avoid showing the opposition where they are fishing. I have radar which I am slowly getting the hang of and which I have improved by mounting the screen on a hinged bracket so that I can swing it around into the companionway to face the wheel. I have a laptop chartplotter (in addition to the basic Navman plotter that came with the boat) which I can connect (via an HDMI cable) to a TV mounted on the saloon forward bulkhead. This I can also see from the wheel. I have a second VHF radio (with an independent stern rail mounted antenna) which I have had modified to receive AIS signals and which connects to the laptop chartplotter. I also have the Boat Beacon app on my cellphone which allows family to keep track of me on the Marine Traffic website - but it is only good for where there is cell phone coverage! The main benefit I see from being able to receive AIS is in being able to identify and call up a vessel using their name and call sign.
Allan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 00:19   #26

Boat: kuiper 32

I have never used a ais but surely a radar would be a lot more use it shows everything not just boats with their ais turned on.
builder dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 00:53   #27

Boat: s/v Urraco S&S Swan 37 (copy)

AIS gives you a lot more information. In addition to the name and contact details of transmitting vessels, it tells you their course and speed and compares your course with theirs and lets you know if there is potential for collision, and how long before you will collide etc. Even if there is no risk of collision you will be told the closest point of approach to allow you to make a decision about changing course. In my opinion having at least an AIS receiver and radar is a good combination.
Allan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 02:33   #28

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder dan View Post
I have never used a ais but surely a radar would be a lot more use it shows everything not just boats with their ais turned on.
+1 to radar!
AIS is pretty much useless if everyone's not using it. True, a lot of good information but usefull only when crossing busy trafic separation lines where it's mandatory. In this side of the pond it means the Channel and Baltic.
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 04:51   #29

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Single Handing no AIS

I will always say get one unless your sailing area and style clearly dictate you do not need it!

We have one, we use it, we love it.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 08:14   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Single Handing no AIS

Now that I am calmed down a bit let me apologize if I offended anyone. I believe strongly that soloing in this day and age is an extreme sport, and needs a lot of training before setting sail. Radar and AIS are very useful soloing in my neck of the woods, but most important is lots of prior experience with a group of sailors on a boat in the same waters. I do not believe anyone should just buy a boat and go offshore, no matter what the boat has on it.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, single